Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Hunting out of season

I had a discussion with some hunting buddies about the current state of affair with food shortages. What do you think about hunting out of season if the need arises? We are ok for now but if this goes on for a couple months the meat supply may be a little low. Not saying I am going to do it but it’s an interesting topic of discussion.

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Why would the meat supply be low? Cattle and hogs don’t get COVID-19 and you can’t really hoard it unless you have a walk-in freezer.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Moderator
    Ground beef and and chicken around here has been hard to come by. I guess the cattle are still there but it’s not available in the stores regularly.

4. Banned
    I didnt know there was hunting season.

5. Michigan Bass Club Moderator CGWright's Avatar
    I just got a half of beef, and have venison in the freezer also. If I run out, I would have no problem shooting a deer out of season for survival. Or any other tasty wild animal.

To report any post you disagree with press Alt + F4.

I hate a poacher but if things got bad, hell yeah I would shoot something out of season.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

7. Member
    If you need meat go for it.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadrashPaul View Post
    Ground beef and and chicken around here has been hard to come by. I guess the cattle are still there but it’s not available in the stores regularly.
    If those checks don't get here quick, won't be as many buyers. Chickens still laying, cows still need milking and Tyson hasn't shut any houses down I know yet. I'm not worried for myself, I'll can just go out back and butcher a baby beef, many one about elk size.
    Wash your hands and say your prayers, cause Jesus and germs are everywhere.

We are so far from that being a possibility its silly to discuss it as a reality. Before we get to that state you have to have ZERO money and/or ZERO food in stores to purchase. Prior to that, its just BS.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    Don't do it - Only Congress gets to break the Laws!
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    We are so far from that being a possibility its silly to discuss it as a reality. Before we get to that state you have to have ZERO money and/or ZERO food in stores to purchase. Prior to that, its just BS.
    True^ but if we are talking IFs then yes. IF the wife and I were hungry and couldn't get meat a legal way I would put a 22lr in the ear of one of the many deer we have running the neighborhood. There's a herd of about 15 does that run our neighborhood each morning so it wouldn't be too hard to find one.

Yes, we have plenty of wild hogs running around, deer can be found nearby, tree rats are everywhere, plenty of fish to catch. I would have no problem getting my bunch meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Capw View Post
    I hate a poacher but if things got bad, hell yeah I would shoot something out of season.
    This. IF it got to the point of meat vs no meat, absolutely. I haven't seen beef, chicken, or pork in the stores in my area for about 3 weeks now. I'm sure it's still slowing coming in and being bought up quickly though. The last harris teeter I went to had zero meat, so they stacked the beef section with lunchables.

14. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    We have meat in our stores and I have deer, turkey, fish and duck in the freezer. Turkey season comes in in 3 weeks, but if I needed meat I would sure as hell shoot something. Got too many deer here anyway.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

15. Member
    Seriously? There is no current food shortage. How do I know? I look at my pastures and my neighbors. So as we currently sit there is no food shortage. However people with no common sense emptying grocery stores are a problem. Instead of worrying about poaching spend some time yelling at hoarders.

Now if your scenario would happen I suspect all of my livestock and chickens would be the first to be killed and stolen. Then there would be a total breakdown of society and it really would not be poaching.

IMHO poachers can come up with every reason and scenario to poach.

16. Member
    Working from home has enabled me to eliminate a squirrel problem. Varmints.

17. Member
    Lol, come get my rats. Kind of goes with livestock.

18. Georgia Bass Club Moderator fishnfool38's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fx20 2011 View Post
    Seriously? There is no current food shortage. How do I know? I look at my pastures and my neighbors. So as we currently sit there is no food shortage. However people with no common sense emptying grocery stores are a problem. Instead of worrying about poaching spend some time yelling at hoarders.

Now if your scenario would happen I suspect all of my livestock and chickens would be the first to be killed and stolen. Then there would be a total breakdown of society and it really would not be poaching.

IMHO poachers can come up with every reason and scenario to poach.
    Yelling at hoarders?! That's gonna get nothing accomplished...so what's your address or gps coordinance of said cattle?

I'm a long way from having to kill for food but not worried about someone else's feelings if it comes to it. We do not know everyone's current state of affairs either so no judgment from me.
    Last edited by fishnfool38; 04-01-2020 at 08:51 AM.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadrashPaul View Post
    I had a discussion with some hunting buddies about the current state of affair with food shortages. What do you think about hunting out of season if the need arises? We are ok for now but if this goes on for a couple months the meat supply may be a little low. Not saying I am going to do it but it’s an interesting topic of discussion.
    You can hunt wild hogs legally all year in Tennessee, so no need to shoot something out of season.

20. Member
    There is such a thing as “ the law of necessity”. I hardly think a judge in this country would,prosecute somebody for hunting out of season because of hunger,,,at least I would hope not

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast