Trolling motor shaft length for Tournament V-18

I was wondering what size shaft length I need for a 2001 Tournament V-18? I just bought the boat in the fall and I'm getting her ready for spring. It has a 45 inch shaft bow mount Minn kota that I'm looking to upgrade and I'm wondering if 45 is good or if need a longer shaft. I'll be fishing on some rougher bouncy days but if I can get away with staying at 45 inches I'd like to. Hoping someone who's had the boat can chime in as I'm not really sure how close to the waterline the bow normally sits in the water. Thanks

2. Member
    Congrats on the purchase of the TV18. I have the 07 model. You will not be happy with the 45 inch shaft if you fish slightly choppy water. I put a Terrova
    60 in shaft on mine but have it cut down to a 54 inch. I run a 24 volt system.

I went with the 50" on my 195 and they sit pretty high up front, but I fish the shallows so I only see air from boat wake.
    1995 Viper 201D
    1995 Johnson Venom 200
    Gas mileage is for sissies

4. Member
    I owned a 2005 TV 18 and used a 48" OMC
    that IMHO was a perfect length. LDS
    Larry D. Scott Retired KY Water patrol/F&W
    www.greatscottshooters.com

2008 TRACKER TV 18 w/150 Mercury 4S
    MK Ultrex 80lb, 102 Garmin Live scope
    and a UHD93SV Garmin on the bow.
    UHD 93SV at the console.

5. Member
    Thanks guys for the input. I put my 60" powerdrive on and have it raised approximately 15" to see if a 45" will work. If not I'll probably just keep the powerdrive on and drop it down to the full length. Just not a fan of powerdrive stow and deploy system. It worked fine on the boat I removed it from but it was more of a walleye boat in which you sat lower in the bow as opposed to the higher bow deck of the tv-18.

I have the 45" on my 2010 TV18. Keep the power drive on your boat unless you get tired of the head sitting to high up front as you fish. I am waiting on my income tax check to get here as I'm going to put on an Ultrex to replace the 70lb Maxxum I currently have on my boat. The 52" Ultrex will make a big difference as I won't be chopping water anymore like I do now in boat wakes or waves from the wind. Of course the number one thing for me will be the spot lock that I want.

Eat, Sleep, Hunt & Fish

2010 Tracker Tournament V18 18' 3"
    Mercury 115 Optimax, Mercury Spitfire X7 Prop 19P
    Minn Kota 70b Thrust Maxxum
    6 inch CMC Pro Hi-Jacker
    Lowrance Elite 7 TI (Bow)
    Lowrance HDS7 GEN 3 Touch (Console)
    Smartcraft Merc Monitor (Basic)