Question install options for TM if you dont have much access under the bow?

Whats going on everyone,

Looking into upgrading my TM from the original TM that came on the boat (MG Beast from 1996). My main question is, I know the TM is mounted right now with the "No Access Isolator Mounting Kit" from Motor Guide since there is only a real small bow panel. I took it out to see if I could reach my hands up in there to install a new TM when its time but there is no way I'm going to be able to do it. I already noticed I'm going to have to fix some issues with the wiring at the panel because the previous owner used wire nuts and other non-marine connections under there.

I don't really want to have to cut the bow to make an access panel if I don't have to.

Does anyone use other options to secure their TM to the bow if they cant get up underneath to secure the nuts? Will the Isolator Kit (https://www.trollingmotors.net/produ...ing-quick-nuts) work for Minn Kota or other TMs?

I'm looking at the Ultrex or Ghost right now, leaning more towards the base model Ultrex for cost at this point.

Just trying to get my ducks in a row and have a game plan before I purchase.

My boats a 1996 Champion 191 SCX/Elite.

Thanks!
    -J

2. Member
    Don't remember the name of it, but there is a video on utube that shows an Ultrex being installed using those isolators/spacers. From watching the video I would say they could be used on any boat.
    Comanche20 (Don)
    2008 Ranger Z 20, 225 RUDE
    Ultrex 45/36/112
    2 Birds
    2020 F150 LIMITED Eco Boost

3. Member
    I have a 1998 Champion 191. I used the hole that I had to cut for the pedal recess to reach in and tighten the nuts. If you are not going to recess the pedal you will have to use the mounting kit with the rubber isolators.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BCastillo View Post
    I have a 1998 Champion 191. I used the hole that I had to cut for the pedal recess to reach in and tighten the nuts. If you are not going to recess the pedal you will have to use the mounting kit with the rubber isolators.
    I was planning on doing a recessed pedal tray. I felt some PVC Pipe under the deck with some wire run through it pretty close to where I wanted to put the tray so I wasn't sure if i was going to have room to put one in. When I get home later im going to feel around some more and see if I'll have room, or I may have to cut carefully then trim the PVC to make it work.

Did you run into the same problem?

That wire goes to the light in the center locker. You'll have to cut the wire and that 1/2 pipe to install the recessed box. Then just add some wire and run it around the box. You may be able to reach the TM bolts from there depending on how much foam is in the way. In a Ranger, that's a lot !! Look in the Ranger forum, I posted on how to cut one in.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

6. Member
    I have a 95 181. It has 2 panels on the front deck. One for the power plug for the trolling mtr and the second is for the trim switch and bow light switch. My original mtr guide was installed using those isolators. I removed both panels and got some one to help and was able to get 5 bolts thru the top cap with fender washers and double nutted with nylock nuts. By the way mine is a ultrex. I also put a foot pedal tray easy troll, in the deck. There was nothing but foam under the deck where I put it. All the accessory wiring was in pvc and runs along the driver side under the top cap. I can and will send pics to ya if you pm me with a number to send pics to. Tight lines

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFudge View Post
    I was planning on doing a recessed pedal tray. I felt some PVC Pipe under the deck with some wire run through it pretty close to where I wanted to put the tray so I wasn't sure if i was going to have room to put one in. When I get home later im going to feel around some more and see if I'll have room, or I may have to cut carefully then trim the PVC to make it work.

Did you run into the same problem?
    There was no interference with the recess pan. That tube is forward of where I cut the hole.

8. Member
    We have used an item we get from Lowes called Toggler bolts. You can google it. It holds real good. You should change the 1/4-20 bolt that comes with them for a 1/4-20 stainless steel, phillips head bolt.
    John
    BTW, if we can help you and deciding which trolling motor, give us a call. We can both sell and ship to your door.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]