Lithium Battery (cell mfg)

Does anyone know what brand the cells are that go in each brands batteries. I just watched this video on YouTube and made me think.

2004 Bullet 20XRD
    2008 Mercury 300XS
    SN: 1E003611

2. Member
    Nice info. This shows that buying from a reputable company is important. With the lack of control of labeling in many Asian markets we have to rely on the people that actually buy the best cells. They are priced according to the quality of the cells. In addition, the warranty is very important. If you don't have a US company or at least A US seller who will follow through with that warranty. You are SOL or at best faced with shipping it back to whoever supplied it. And subject to their laws. I have heard stories of months even if they do repair it or replace it. More than likely paying the shipping both ways is part of the deal. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

I’m almost positive none of the big marine lithium battery companies make their own cells. It would be nice to know what cells they use.

2004 Bullet 20XRD
    2008 Mercury 300XS
    SN: 1E003611

4. Member
    I have watched this kid tear down at least 5 different manufacturers batteries and watched him build and explain in detail how to multiple 100ah batteries with cells from amazon, aliexpress, ebay ect. I have watched enough videos where I almost have the confidence to build one myself. tons of information worth the watch if you have the time

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cpmoran22 View Post
    I’m almost positive none of the big marine lithium battery companies make their own cells. It would be nice to know what cells they use.
    That is correct. They buy cells and build the batteries here. They can stipulate the quality of the cells they import. They also test them after they get them. Just like the video but mass quantities. They pay a premium to get batteries the quality they stipulate. If you are buying cells watch out you don't get the ones that get rejected. The main point is buy them from someone that will back their warranty and do it in a timely manor. The best companies build them right because they know they will loose out if they have many returns. That costs more to be picky and do it the right way. For me that is worth the 10 to 20% up-charge. Bob

6. Member
    not all of them build the batteries here either. There are some popular brands that simply buy the entire battery from a chinese supplier that puts thier logo on the battery. Many people have been stuck with bad product and the "US" company that sold them is no longer in business, bankrupt, or has a new name. Warranty is only as good as the company behind it.

7. <B>BBC SPONSOR</B>
    Quote Originally Posted by bassdge View Post
    not all of them build the batteries here either. There are some popular brands that simply buy the entire battery from a chinese supplier that puts thier logo on the battery. Many people have been stuck with bad product and the "US" company that sold them is no longer in business, bankrupt, or has a new name. Warranty is only as good as the company behind it.

That’s the reason to choose a company like Relion who has been around several years and back by one of the largest battery distributors in the U.S.

8. Member
    Are the Relion battery’s assembled in the US?

9. Member

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cpmoran22 View Post
    Does anyone know what brand the cells are that go in each brands batteries. I just watched this video on YouTube and made me think.
    That's really the LAST thing they want you to know, but you can bet that the cheapest ones cut corners somewhere. Exactly the reason I'm looking to build a couple myself too. Those vids that kid makes are great. The way I look at it, this Lithium tech is moving pretty fast, and after a few years there will be even lighter, more powerful cells to work with. The right BMS can keep the cells from overcharging, undercharging, keep them in their sweet spot, and bluetooth smartphone apps to monitor them. The hardest part so far, is finding just the right case for your cell arrangement and BMS.
    Fish frequently, my friends! ----------<')))><
    2001 Triton TR20, 225L OptiMax, 26" Tempest Plus, Serial No: PT345686

11. Member
    Fishfreq let me know when you are beginning the construction of the battery.
    Thanks

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by javelin90 View Post
    Fishfreq let me know when you are beginning the construction of the battery.
    Thanks
    I'll make a post when I do Javelin, and let you all know what I go with. Won't be for a few months, gotta get some things off my plate before I can play with the boat...
    Fish frequently, my friends! ----------<')))><
    2001 Triton TR20, 225L OptiMax, 26" Tempest Plus, Serial No: PT345686