Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I’ll patiently wait on examples and discussions of this happening to the Relion as well. Links to forums/posts would be very helpful. Also, no one seems to refute the 80amp max stated on Mercury’s own website. That is well within Relion’s parameters.
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorJJ View Post
    Also, no one seems to refute the 80amp max stated on Mercury’s own website.
    That would be because the original poster did not provide his engine serial number. Since there are two separate versions of the 20" ProXS engine (Fourstroke), one of which uses an 85 amp alternator, the other of which uses a 115 amp alternator, it's not something that can be accurately determined with 100% certainty.

HOWEVER:

Neither engine utilizes an 80 amp alternator, nor does Mercury's website indicate "80am max" for any of the V6/V8 models.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    That would be because the original poster did not provide his engine serial number. Since there are two separate versions of the 20" ProXS engine (Fourstroke), one of which uses an 85 amp alternator, the other of which uses a 115 amp alternator, it's not something that can be accurately determined with 100% certainty.

HOWEVER:

Neither engine utilizes an 80 amp alternator, nor does Mercury's website indicate "80am max" for any of the V6/V8 models.
    Typo, I meant 85 amps. Their website says there is a net charging output of 85 amps at WOT. I posted a screenshot. Clearly a 115 amp alternator doesn’t output all 115 amps for charging. The motor itself is going to use a significant amount of that amperage to run.
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Read what it says... not what you think it says. “Net” was used to describe idle output.

And as stated this is describing the model with an 85 amp
    alternator (and not the one with a 115 amp).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

I guess I just don’t get wanting to go against what the Mercury rep reportedly says in the first post, Don’s recommendations and what the manual states...use an AGM. Just because someone else is using them with “no issues” does not mean everything is fine for everyone else. KVD is a fisherman, not a Mercury tech rep nor a mechanic. I am a big proponent of lithiums but if I had a new 4 Stroke, I would be running an AGM for cranking and lithiums for the TM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

"Can explain it to you --- can't make you understand it"

Not being ugly just-- just telling you how it is.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor JJ
    Most modern outboards use about 25 to 30 amps to run at WOT, so even the 115amp model still won’t be putting out over 100 amps of charging so it still won’t be outside the operating parameters of the Relion.
    Let's stick to accurate facts. The above statement might prove true for some smaller engines, but simply isn't realistic for the engine the topic references.

This forum is for Accurate/Helpful information.

Thread is now closed.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 03-26-2020 at 10:33 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12