second brisket flat, still tough??

I put a 3.6 lb brisket flat on the weber smokey mountain at 8am. Temp was 225 degrees. Took 5 hours to reach internal temp of 159 degrees. I took the meat off the grill, double wrapped it in foil and added about 1 cup of beef broth around the brisket then back on the grill. Three hours later the internal temp was 201. Took the wrapped brisket off the grill and wrapped it in a towel then placed it inside a dry cooler for 3 hours. Once again the brisket came out tough. What I have read online that if it's tough then it's undercooked. Is this true? If so, do I put it back on the grill wrapped in tin foil? What internal temp should I shoot for on the longer cook? I have read about the tooth pick method to check for doneness. If it's still too tough for the toothpick then how much longer should I cook it and too what internal temp. Seems to me if I cook it longer it might come out over cooked. Thanks for what you know.

I am no expert but 8hr sounds like a long cook for 3.6 pounds. Did you leave enough fat on it so as not to dry out?.
    SeaArk ZX200DC Mercury 115 FourStroke

I can't find the link to the video but the best advice I have seen was don't go by temp except to get close. Push in a toothpick, if it feels the same as pushing into peanut butter then you are gold. And yes, push a toothpick into peanut butter as practice to get the feel.
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

4. Member
    I left all the fat on as there wasn't much to start with.

5. Member
    never go by meat temp as a final say for brisket. as others have said... tooth pic method is the only right way. you can use the IT as a guideline about it. around 195 id do my 1st test.... 200...205... and have a feel for where its at and where i want.

I also find if youve wrapped the brisket and continued the cook when you pull the brisket crack open the wrap for a 5-10mins and let the steam out.... leaving it tightly wrapped will result in over cooking it... or so thats been my experience / fix unless you pulled it early enough where will continue to render down without drying out. That window is VERY narrow i find.

also with all that said... sometimes the cut of meat and its marbling will make or brake a cook no matter what you do...
    2004 Ranger Reata 180vs 8" rapid jack magnum CCM reeds 21P tempest plus- 2005 150 optimax 1B044209

6. Member
    A knife should slide right in without resistance when its done. Depending on the grade that could be from 200°-210° typically. If you are buying low grade flats they can still be kinda tough, even when done.

Personally I never cook flats that low. Cooking them @ 250°-275° and as high as 300° produces a much better finished product, especially is you are going to crutch it, once wrapped low temps mean nothing.

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

7. Member
    @steve yea i agree with you on cooking temps. I didnt say anything about it because I wasnt sure if it was just an opinion vs an actual fact.... ive never had much good come from lowe temps like 225 other then pro longed cooking times and dryer meat.
    2004 Ranger Reata 180vs 8" rapid jack magnum CCM reeds 21P tempest plus- 2005 150 optimax 1B044209

Have you tried a packer trim choice grade? You can find them in the 8-10# range at some stores. They have a good fat cap so they don’t dry out. The 2 worst I ever bought were select grade. Dry and tough. Turned them into chili. Brisket takes practice so don’t give up. You also don’t need to pay the $ for a prime angus.

Proper BBQ practice requires 2 things. Patience and beer. Lots of beer.

9. Member
    Not yet but that could be my next selection of brisket to smoke. Thanks!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
    Have you tried a packer trim choice grade? You can find them in the 8-10# range at some stores. They have a good fat cap so they don’t dry out. The 2 worst I ever bought were select grade. Dry and tough. Turned them into chili. Brisket takes practice so don’t give up. You also don’t need to pay the $ for a prime angus.

Proper BBQ practice requires 2 things. Patience and beer. Lots of beer.
    I'll tell ya my best ones at home I've found some prime brisket at Sams and cooked till probe tender usually around that 200 mark give or take. I've wrapped all mine and though it softens the bark it comes out a lot more consistent. Also try and trim it good and get one that the point is pretty thick. I would also probe the middle ground for tenderness and make sure to let it rest for a couple hours. Personally I've found a huge difference in prime and choice.
    I totally agree with patience and beer----and plus I am a huge fan of a stick burner over kettle or ceramic cookers.

Never been to Sam’s. How much is a prime there? Most places around here want $5/lb or more for a choice. Best I found last year were choice angus and they were really good but that was a deal not likely to happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by kyduck View Post
    I'll tell ya my best ones at home I've found some prime brisket at Sams and cooked till probe tender usually around that 200 mark give or take. I've wrapped all mine and though it softens the bark it comes out a lot more consistent. Also try and trim it good and get one that the point is pretty thick. I would also probe the middle ground for tenderness and make sure to let it rest for a couple hours. Personally I've found a huge difference in prime and choice.
    I totally agree with patience and beer----and plus I am a huge fan of a stick burner over kettle or ceramic cookers.
    Sam's Prime is all I cook now. Wife said no more cheap sale briskets after eating a Prime Angus Brisket from Sam's.

Crappie fish fry. It don't taste any better.

13. Member
    I literally went in last week and they had whole packers on sale for 3.98 a lb prime....even with the corona virus going on. I got 2.

14. Member
    $3.39 at sams yesterday! Yes she came home with me.