possible new boat.

Hello all, I am looking at a well keep 2015 zx225 with the 225 sho with 275 hours. I have always ran a triton and a merc. But all looking to get away from a merc and like the skeeter a lot. Couple of question to anyone with the 225, hows the ride? do you like the layout? do you miss a 20 or 21 foot boat? what kind of speed and hole shot are you seeing?

Also i know nothing about the SHO are they good motors? what are they know for?. I asked this question in the yahama form but only got a few replies.

The boat is a one owner and it is supper nice. And the local dealer are been the only ones to service the motor.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I still have my 2015 ZX225. The ride is not great, but it is dry. If you fish big water, you will wish you had a bigger boat. This boat is best suited for calmer lakes and rivers, which is what I originally bought it for (in Virginia). Now that I'm back in Texas (near big lakes), I wish I had a 21 footer. That said, it will handle most water conditions just fine.

I love the layout. I had a couple of Rangers before, so I got used to the "cut-out" in the front deck. The "cut-out" basically allows you to sit on either rod box, and put your feet on the floor just forward of the consoles. You don't have to twist around or sit on your feet to reach your tackle (in the center storage compartment).

The hole-shot is really quick. Fully loaded, I still get on plane in about 4-5 sec. My best top speed was 76.8mph on the James River. I could get 75+ anywhere, anytime in Virginia. Here in Texas, I have only gotten up to about 72mph. Nothing changed except my location. I think the difference in latitude slowed me down. I also noticed that my Camaro is slightly slower in the 1/4mi. here.

The SHO is absolutely awesome! I haven't had a single problem with it, and it still runs great. It does well on fuel, and I still haven't added an ounce of oil to it. Overall, this boat/motor is very efficient for its size. It has plenty of storage, and keeps everything well organized. I only wish it had the net storage under the center storage box like the newer boats.

If you fish pro/am tournaments where you have to carry two separate limits of fish, you might have problems. The Skeeter live wells are tiny. Mine are 15"x15" on the bottom of each side (divided). Fortunately, the divider comes out easily (15"x30" w/divider removed). I was able to keep one limit of fish alive in the "team" tournaments that I fished in Virginia without any problems. I never fished the pro/am format tournaments with this boat though.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by utinator View Post
    I still have my 2015 ZX225. The ride is not great, but it is dry. If you fish big water, you will wish you had a bigger boat. This boat is best suited for calmer lakes and rivers, which is what I originally bought it for (in Virginia). Now that I'm back in Texas (near big lakes), I wish I had a 21 footer. That said, it will handle most water conditions just fine.

I love the layout. I had a couple of Rangers before, so I got used to the "cut-out" in the front deck. The "cut-out" basically allows you to sit on either rod box, and put your feet on the floor just forward of the consoles. You don't have to twist around or sit on your feet to reach your tackle (in the center storage compartment).

The hole-shot is really quick. Fully loaded, I still get on plane in about 4-5 sec. My best top speed was 76.8mph on the James River. I could get 75+ anywhere, anytime in Virginia. Here in Texas, I have only gotten up to about 72mph. Nothing changed except my location. I think the difference in latitude slowed me down. I also noticed that my Camaro is slightly slower in the 1/4mi. here.

The SHO is absolutely awesome! I haven't had a single problem with it, and it still runs great. It does well on fuel, and I still haven't added an ounce of oil to it. Overall, this boat/motor is very efficient for its size. It has plenty of storage, and keeps everything well organized. I only wish it had the net storage under the center storage box like the newer boats.

If you fish pro/am tournaments where you have to carry two separate limits of fish, you might have problems. The Skeeter live wells are tiny. Mine are 15"x15" on the bottom of each side (divided). Fortunately, the divider comes out easily (15"x30" w/divider removed). I was able to keep one limit of fish alive in the "team" tournaments that I fished in Virginia without any problems. I never fished the pro/am format tournaments with this boat though.
    I live in San Antonio also. Medina is the highest in elevation around here. I notice 2-3 MPH difference between Medina Lake (1064ft) and Choke Canyon (225ft). Skeeters run best on east Texas lakes as most of them are below 200ft. My old Skeeter ZX190 hit 63 on Rayburn on a hot September day with two people and a full livewell (normal in SA area would be 59.) They love the thick air! BTW the 2015 livewells were small. They enlarged them in 2016. My 2018 has no problem holding fish although I liked the separate ones on my 2012.
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha 250 SHO

4. Member
    I had a 2004 ZX225 and a I currently have a 2009 ZX225. I love both boats. I really like the layout and the 09 is a dual console. I have had both boats in really big water (Rayburn and Rainy Lake) and it has done great. I think the ride is good and it is dry. I have no complaints about either and would not hesitate to buy another. No issues with my Yamaha as i really like them.

Sometimes i wish I had the ZX250 and in the trees and creeks, I wish I had the ZX200.
    Scott Smith
    Blanchard, OK
    2014 FX 20 Yamaha 250 SHO

5. Member
    Thanks for the relays and all the info, the only thing that worries me is a the small live wells. I looked up the specs on line and they are only 25 gals, kind of crazy to me. The triton I’m combing out of has 40 gal wells. Other than that this seems like it will be a good boat

Quote Originally Posted by ssmith1 View Post
    I had a 2004 ZX225 and a I currently have a 2009 ZX225. I love both boats. I really like the layout and the 09 is a dual console. I have had both boats in really big water (Rayburn and Rainy Lake) and it has done great. I think the ride is good and it is dry. I have no complaints about either and would not hesitate to buy another. No issues with my Yamaha as i really like them.
    That's a completely different boat. That one does ride better, but it's only dry if you wear a rain suit.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

Quote Originally Posted by rickmb View Post
    I live in San Antonio also. Medina is the highest in elevation around here. I notice 2-3 MPH difference between Medina Lake (1064ft) and Choke Canyon (225ft). Skeeters run best on east Texas lakes as most of them are below 200ft. My old Skeeter ZX190 hit 63 on Rayburn on a hot September day with two people and a full livewell (normal in SA area would be 59.) They love the thick air!
    I know elevation has a big effect on speed too. Mine still ran 75+ on Smith Mountain Lake (over 700ft). I think I got up to 72mph on Choke.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

8. Member
    I wouldn't buy a 2015. In 2016 they changed the geometry of the boat by moving the gas tanks forward under the seats, and the boat handles rough water alot better. Doesn't porpoise as bad. I have had every year zx225 from 2014 to 2019

9. Member
    Love mine! I recently purchased it. I live in North Alabama and fish the Tenn. chain of likes, (Pickwick, Wilson, Wheeler, Guntersville) and Lewis Smith lake (which is not in the Tenn. chain). I have the Tempest plus prop 25 pitch. I am still messing around with the jack plate some and I may get it worked to add cup. With me (260lbs), a partner, gear and full tank of gas I can currently run about 68. I can reach 70 as I get towards a half tank. Once I dial in the jack plate I think I'll be able to get 70 to 71ish consistently. The ride is great, however I warn you I am coming out of a G3 Sportsman 17 with a 90 Yamaha. Some people say its like a canoe compared to cruise ship. My boat can handle 2 to 3 foot waves really well. It is still big enough to get on top of them. I have also fished in 21 foot boats in tournaments and if you get back in a creek trying to turn a 21 foot boat around in a creek requires 2 people most of the time. I have not had any problems in creeks with this boat by myself.
    2019 Skeeter ZX225
    Tempest Plus 25p prop
    112 Minn Koda Ultrex I-Piolet Link