Rod length suggestions.

So I ordered a Phenix K2 7’6” ML Fast. I was gonna make a spinning rod out of it but i think I wanna build a high end finesse casting rod instead. (Tubes, neds, shakey heads etc).
    would you keep it full length 7’6” or shorten up some?
    kinda wanna start a discussion on why. I’m up in the air on what I wanna do.
    thanks,
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

2. Member
    Unless you have a legit BFS reel for it, I'd keep it spinning personally and leave it 7'6". I think when you static test that 7'6" ML for casting you're going to probably need 12 or 13 guides, keep in mind that a lot of the true BFS rods (at least those that I've seen) have the stripper closer to the reel than a typical M-H baitcaster, like 14-16" out from the reel. I typically don't think that titanium guides are worth the price but in this instance it's what I would use given the number you'll have to use.

Keeping it longer will typically help with casting lighter lures but again there's the more guides. What size guides were you thinking about using? Also, straight flouro (like 6 or 8lb?) or braid to a leader?

Willwork is a walking rod building encyclopedia so not surprisingly I agree with what he said. One thing I will add is that if you're sort of stuck on doing it as a casting rod, a spiral wrap would help tremendously with cutting down the number of guides and therefore with balancing. I agree that keeping it a 7'6" and spinning is what I'd do.

This will sound crazy, but something to consider if you do want to make a long finesse casting rod (in addition to the spiral wrap) is using a Feather blank instead. They've got what Phenix calls a "visual" taper which I'll go ahead and call a "fat ass." Put a little less crudely, they carry a substantial amount of their mass at the butt of the blank and are therefore a lot easier to balance than other blanks including the K2. The only problem is you might be pissed at yourself for buying a K2 when you see how close the Feather is in terms of sensitivity...
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

4. Member
    The suggestions above and the potential things to consider, are great ones. I would pay head to what will and Drew say. Just another thing to consider is, cutting the blank will slow the action and change the power. If you're only talking taking off a couple inches then no big change. But if you are thinking of taking it down to 7' or less, then you may be looking at a big change.

5. Member
    I was considering a spiral wrap on it.
    looking back I wish I would have went with the feather rod instead of the K2, I’m just happy I got 30% off on a holiday buy.
    The reason I was talking a casting is cause it feels like a Medium power and has quite a stout backbone. Just too much for my liking in a spinning rod....
    Last edited by GetReel; 03-23-2020 at 07:59 PM.
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

6. Member
    That's actually kind of surprising to me that you found a Phenix ML to have a little too much power, they're typically underpowered to their rating. I haven't built a ML but have built a number of L, M and MH and also haven't done a K2, I think the M1's, Ultras and even the Recon Elites are nice blanks for the money. The Feathers seem to be a little hard to come by, I ordered some in early Jan and still haven't gotten them. I'm not sure if it's an issue with Phenix or the distributor. I'm guessing with all that is going on I won't be seeing them anytime soon.

Spiral wrap will for sure help on the guide numbers.

Drew, you're certainly giving me more credit than I deserve. I just have bought a lot of blanks to build a lot of rods that I didn't need just to see how they turn out. I'm definitely not an example of someone who's saved or made money doing this.

7. Member
    I use 7'6" ML St Croix w modified Shimano 100B, casting rod, does a great job for small 2.8 swimbaits, grubs, ned rigs, DS etc, it's a little light for spybaits (almost cast the spool empty) but will work.
    Wash your hands and say your prayers, cause Jesus and germs are everywhere.