175 Pro XS broken compressor belt

Last Saturday I was making my way back to weigh in and about 1 mile from the ramp I started losing power and the engine developed a miss. I shut down at the no-wake line and the engine shut off and would not restart. I checked yesterday and found a shreaded belt. The compressor, alternator and tension pulley all turn freely. The motor also spins freely. The tension pulley bracket did break and a bracket on the rear of the alternator was damaged also. I am reasonably good with wrenches, any reason why I should not attempt this repair at home? Is there anything in particular that I should be looking out for? I appreciate the help.

The compressor should not turn freely forever. What you need to do is remove the belt or what is left of it, turn the compressor with one hand. You should not be able to get it more than 3 turns. If you can, it is toast and more than likely died then took out the belt. Check the bolts on the tension pulley too. They could be loose.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1

On the rear alternator bracket- make sure the long bolt has no sheered off (sometimes is the cause of this scenario). Those two brackets are a bit pricey, but all of the components are still available.

If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Sorry about that, my serial # is 2B117987. My compressor will turn about 2.5 rotations and then hit a resistance for about 1/8 of a turn and then free up for another 2.5 rotation. Does this sound like a healthy compressor? I think the long bolt on the rear alternator bracket did break, I will check that tomorrow. Does European Marine have parts for this in stock?
    Thanks again!

I am sure the will have, click on bottom left of Dons post ( Mercury Parts)to go to his parts page
    Thank You Leon Pugh

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    For Parts Ordering, contact the Parts Department (directly). Email, phone, or website ordering are the best methods.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor