Mercury 150efi continuous beeeeeep

2004 Mercury EFI s/n:0T817589
    I was running the boat the other day and got an intermittent alarm, 4 beeps every 2 minutes. I diagnosed it down to the oil reservoir on the motor. I took out the sensor and checked continuity with a magnet and it sounded with the magnet on the probe but not without the magnet, new oil reservoir ordered and will arrive this week. Fast forward to this morning, I checked to ensure the oil pump is still working by running the motor and loosening the cap to see if it still flowed, it does, so i went fishing. After about a 3 mile run at about 4500rpm the motor bogged down and a continuous alarm sounded. I dropped down to an idle and the alarm went away. I checked the stream of water to ensure it wasn't overheating and the stream was solid, so i attempted to get back on plane since the alarm went away. As soon as the motor hits around 3200rpm it bogs down and the alarm kicks on. This keeps happening. I was able to slowly get on plane and cruise back at 3000rpm's at 24mph but as soon as i hit at or around 3200rpm's, the alarm sounds and i have to come off plane and take it out of gear to "reset" alarm. I have read that the continuous alarm (Engine Guardian System) can be a cooling system fault or an oil system failure. I doubt it is the oil system since it stills pumps very well at idle when I loosened the cap. Anyone else have experience with this? I was going to pull the lower unit and replace the water pump and see what I get. Anything helps with this one.

2. Member
    continuos horn is critical warning, both can cause it, w/p is good place to start if you cant have diagnostic scan done to determine cause
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Fixed it. Replaced the upper oil reservoir which fixed the 4beep every 2 minutes. Replaced my water pump and thermostats which took care of the continuous beep. She runs good again.

4. Member
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................