Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HDS CARBON FROZEN/STALLS ON WARNING PAGE

have 2 carbons, one starts up without problems, the other will stall on warning page.pushing any button doesnt help.i have to cut power then on main switch then power up, then it will usually restart.
    both softwares are the 19 versions have not gone to 20.
    any one with a suggestion on how to diagnose/fix this issue?
    thanks
    john

2. Member
    Nope, have the same issue on one of mine

3. Member
    Swap them around and report back.

4. Member
    I have tried swapping, resets, and just about anything else I could think of

5. Member
    Time permitting take the machine to a bass pro, Cabelas or another retailer and plug it into their system and see what happens.

6. Member
    thanks for ideas guys.
    my units or imbedded/built in to my center console, not on brackets so taking them out is impractical.
    but i think i can get behind them, change/ reverse power plugs to each, then try and see if the other unit stalls.
    both units go to blue seas bus ,both are grounded on ground side of panel.
    i think this is a electrical set up problem, not a lowrance problem.
    but if it does, still not sure what the fix is.
    john

Im guessing you have both units connected/linked via Ethernet? If so, have you tried disconnecting the Ethernet cable from one or both units then powering up the unit you are having issues with to see if it boots up normally?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos21XL View Post
    Im guessing you have both units connected/linked via Ethernet? If so, have you tried disconnecting the Ethernet cable from one or both units then powering up the unit you are having issues with to see if it boots up normally?
    Is having the ethernet cable unplugged at power up something that is a remedy? It would be easy enough to do, but I was curious to whether it was something that maybe isn’t published but known to help??
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250

9. Member
    yes they are connected via the structure scan module and also a ethernet cable between each to the yellow ports.
    i will try that when get back to the boat.but that would be a pain to disconnect reconnect every time.
    there is something in setup pages about master and slave,i wonder if that could be a cause.
    john

10. Member
    If they are connected via Structure Scan module then you do not need a connection via Ethernet directly between them, the structure scan is providing the Ethernet connection between both units. That is probably causing your issue because it is basically a network loop.

Quote Originally Posted by djb750 View Post
    Is having the ethernet cable unplugged at power up something that is a remedy? It would be easy enough to do, but I was curious to whether it was something that maybe isn’t published but known to help??
    No, it’s more or less just trouble-shooting to try and narrow down what unit/device is causing the problem. When they are networked together they are sharing sources and data so my first attempt is to always separate them from the network one piece at a time until you find what’s causing the issues.

Quote Originally Posted by johnwater View Post
    yes they are connected via the structure scan module and also a ethernet cable between each to the yellow ports.
    i will try that when get back to the boat.but that would be a pain to disconnect reconnect every time.
    there is something in setup pages about master and slave,i wonder if that could be a cause.
    john
    As Dean already mentioned, If both units are connected to the SS3D with a single Ethernet cable running from the SS Module to each of the HDS units, you do not need another Ethernet cable running from one HDS to another HDS unit. BUT...if the SS3D is only running to one unit via the SS module then you would need an Ethernet cable going from that HDS unit to the 2nd HDS unit to share the data. This is why it is imperative to disclose everything you have connected to the units and how they are networked so we can give accurate information on how to trouble-shoot problems you may have.

13. Member
    I have powered my unit to a spare battery in the garage with nothing else hooked up and it still does the same thing

14. Member
    I assume you have disconnected all other cables but the power cable, and remove all cards? (just trying to help troubleshoot).

I would next put an update chip in the unit when it is powered off, and then boot it up and see if it will reload the software. I have fixed some this way.
    ciao,
    Marc

Bill did yours start after an update or just randomly on its own? Do you know what version of SW it is currently on?

16. Member
    thanks stratosxl
    yes i have ss scan transducer coming in from bottom, then ethernet cable coming out from module to the one unit that is stalling on startup.
    so to get ss on both units' had to run a ethernet cable from that unit to the other.
    now i have ss scan on both units.
    and this extra connection may be causing my stall.
    my set up is 2 hds carbons 9 both on my in dash on center console bay boat.
    my console was not large enough for a larger display.
    so i run one with chart display, the other with sonar, either 2d while on planer ss can 3d while slow speed.

i
    i do not have a unit up at the bowls i do not have a transducer on troll motor.

John, this is what I would do if it were me. I would run each of the Carbon 9's directly to the SS3D module(it should have 2 ethernet connections on the module) instead of running one from the SS3D to one unit then jumping from that unit to the 2nd HDS unit via ethernet cable. Technically the units "should" work fine the way you have it set up now but you are using the 2nd unit as an "extension" of the 1st unit by sharing the SS3D connection.

Side Note...I have the same setup on my boat except I have 2 Carbon 12's and SS3D and I have an ethernet cable going from each of the 12's directly to the SS3D module. Granted I have not tried to update to the newer SW but I havent had any issues updating them in the past.

Marc also had another good suggestion with putting a SSD card back in the unit with the SW loaded on it then powering it up to see if it will boot normally and start the update process again. I would work on changing the ethernet cabling first.

Hope you get it straightened out.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos21XL View Post
    Bill did yours start after an update or just randomly on its own? Do you know what version of SW it is currently on?
    I have had this issue since I came across the unit here on the swap forums. It is currently running the newest 20 software. It will start fine at times but other times I have to pull power 1 or 2 times to get it to boot up. It is very frustrating but not enough to send it to Lowrance and wipe it off as a loss.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Marcantonio View Post
    I assume you have disconnected all other cables but the power cable, and remove all cards? (just trying to help troubleshoot).

I would next put an update chip in the unit when it is powered off, and then boot it up and see if it will reload the software. I have fixed some this way.
    Yes I have removed unit from boat and ran it to my spare battery in the garage. I will try your suggestion, thanks.

Do you have it networked to any other units?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast