Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    We had several hens disappear years ago. The pen was covered except for the very middle, which had 2 sycamore trees there. There was no trace of the hens, so I put up a trail cam. We got footage of the biggest Great Horned Owl I’ve ever seen. It managed to fly in between the branches, land, go in the coop and grab whatever hen it wanted.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye1875 View Post
    My wife and girls want to try raising chickens (like 6 to start)... We have the land for it and love the fresh eggs. Plus we figure it will teach our girls responsibility and would be fun for our family. Wanting to hear some pros and cons and info from people who currently raise chickens. Thanks!
    Chicken chit is the stinkiest of the stinky....it's awful. Cow chit is much better. Horse chit is much better smelling than cow chit. I'd suggest Parrots or something of that sort.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

3. Member
    We have had 10 laying hens for a couple of years. We really enjoy them. Do a little research on the breed's temperament, especially if mixing breeds or if kids will be tending them. Ours are Cinnamon Queens, Buff Orpingtons, and Barred Rocks, and we have been very happy with them. They have good egg production and excellent temperament.

Quote Originally Posted by TritonJT View Post
    I swear, with only 6 chickens it doesn't look like a roster would help much?
    LOL

Oh I think I get it now. If you get a rooster, you might need a roster to keep up with all the new chickens you would have.
    LOL

6. Member
    Pain in the ass. We have all the predators so we had a nice coop built, fenced off an area, netted the ceiling for hawks... Had to put them up at night, and let them out in the morning.

Better go feed the chickens, oh the chickens need water, time to go collect eggs. Ah shit that ones broody.. Etc etc.

Fresh eggs are nice, taste better and feel better. Waking up in the morning, going to the coop and grabbing some eggs is an awesome feeling.

But I wouldn't do it again

7. Member
    If your starting with (day old chicks) that's how most are sold here,and you want 6 better buy 10...those little turds have a tendency to die from anything and everything.

8. Member
    I swear, with only 6 chickens it doesn't look like a roster would help much?
    Sam

2022 Falcon F20 TE Hybrid - 250 Mercury Pro XS
    Not a pro - barely an average Joe!

**Update**

Fast forward 6 months... we now have 13 hens and a rooster. Loving the fresh eggs and lots of fun for the family. Very easy maintenance and I built a custom coop with a big run for easy clean out. We let them free range in the evenings and they all coop up at sunset without any issues. Very easy to deal with and like watching them forage on the wood line. Between the fresh eggs, walleye, deer and beef we harvest, and our veggie garden we tend to grocery shop much less these days! Thanks for all the help!!

LUND 1875 Pro Guide 👊🏻✊🏻

10. Member
    Do you know what the white stuff in the center of the chicken shit is ????? More chicken shit !
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

11. Member
    We always kept a few hens for eggs when I was a kid, it's good for kids to learn the responsibilities of caring for them and some life lessons when you lose one. My son just got his three kids some chicks to raise, built a nice coop for them and the kids love them. So far they are doing real well with their care. Chickens are pretty social birds, they can become just like little dogs following you around and begging for food.
    1987 Ranger 373V 150 Yamaha proV still going strong.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JTN View Post
    If your starting with (day old chicks) that's how most are sold here,and you want 6 better buy 10...those little turds have a tendency to die from anything and everything.
    I thought the same thing, this last batch I ordered twice what we wanted, 10 weeks in we still have all 16, they are speckled sussex, really pretty birds. I had a custom chicken tractor built this go around, it is really nice, it is so heavy that i have to use a small tractor with three point hitch to move it every few days, we really enjoy having them and our little granddaughter loves them as well. We have lost countless birds over the past 12 years to dogs, coyotes, bobcats, skunks, possum, hawks, owls, and we live in the city. Trying to be very diligent in taking care of this new bunch, we let them out and have a little chicken therapy most evenings.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walleye1875 View Post
    **Update**

Fast forward 6 months... we now have 13 hens and a rooster. Loving the fresh eggs and lots of fun for the family. Very easy maintenance and I built a custom coop with a big run for easy clean out. We let them free range in the evenings and they all coop up at sunset without any issues. Very easy to deal with and like watching them forage on the wood line. Between the fresh eggs, walleye, deer and beef we harvest, and our veggie garden we tend to grocery shop much less these days! Thanks for all the help!!
    They'll stop laying pretty soon due to the length of daylight. Might want to put a light on a timer to keep them going.

14. Member
    This thread has great info. I know it's common in a lot of places to raise chickens but I live in a town in New Jersey where it's just not practical. With that being said, I can't wait to try it on my retirement property in Texas. I have a while to go but as silly as it might seem, raising chickens is something I can't wait to do. I feel like I can watch animals doing there thing all day! All I have is birds and squirrels to watch right now!

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billybas View Post
    I feel like I can watch animals doing there thing all day! All I have is birds and squirrels to watch right now!
    Well, that's a little pervy but whatever rocks your bass boat. I usually look away after a few minutes

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    Well, that's a little pervy but whatever rocks your bass boat. I usually look away after a few minutes
    Hey..I'm 57...it doesn't take a lot to amuse me !

17. Member
    Chickens from the other perspective. I live in a rural subdivision. A few months ago my neighbor decided to get some chickens. They built the shoddiest looking coop at the side of their house for all to see. Ok if that’s want they want to do. They probably have 10-12 hens and 2 roosters. At first they let them free range through the neighborhood and were digging up everyone’s flower beds on the street along with crapping on everyone’s sidewalks. Also one of the roosters would chase and try to flog anyone it saw to the point my 8 year old daughter avoided going outside. Someone, I have never said a word other than right here right now, must have complained as now they keep them all in the coop except the one rooster that is docile. The coop is still an eyesore and the roosters crow off an on all day. I actually hope the novelty wears off and they get rid of them.
    2022 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2022 Mercury 225 4s 3B133405

18. Member
    I used to raise chickens. Neighbors dog got in one night and killed most. Jumped a five foot fence. Had to add another layer of chicken wire to keep it out.

19. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar
    wire got 2 dozen chickens back in march, we already had a chicken coup, just put up a 4 ft fence around it to keep them contained.
    the get feed and watered daily, have not had much of an issue with the predator's..
    we are getting a about 15 eggs a day right now, expect that to fall off as the weather gets colder .

Our chickens are just now starting to lay eggs. Not enough to make me feel any kind of way about them although the ones we have had have been very good to eat. No real predator problems but they are on pretty good lockdown.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast