Johnson GT 200 Troubleshooting help

Hey guys I could Use your help.
    I have a 1988 Johnson GT 200 that had been running flawlessly, I took It to the lake and ran it some yesterday without issue and then at the end of the day noticed my throttle linkage was sticking and keeping it stuck in high idle. When I got it home after a lot of inspection I realized one of the bolts on top of the engine below the timing base had backed out and pushed against the bottom of the timing lug keeping the linkage from returning all the way back to normal idle. I was able to pop the Linkage and timing lug off of the bolt so I could tighten it back down and my linkage returned to normal position. hooked water muff and fired up in normal idle and idled perfect......for about 15 seconds......right before I could turn the key off and call it all good it died like someone pulled the kill switch. Would not restart. Pulled spark plugs checked for spark, no spark at all. This one has me scratching my head. Neutral switch? Did my timing base or stator just instantly die? Been looking everywhere for blown fuses. Looking for ideas before I tear Into it
    1987 Stratos 189v

2. Member
    I would start with the stator. I have been having problems out of my gt175. The guy I talked to said that if the stator goes bad it will just go bad all of a sudden and there will be no spark(of course).

3. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger481v15 View Post
    I would start with the stator. I have been having problems out of my gt175. The guy I talked to said that if the stator goes bad it will just go bad all of a sudden and there will be no spark(of course).
    I would get a new "guy" first.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

4. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    If you are going to do it yourself, invest in a real OMC service and repair manual for your setup. Saves $$$$ and you learn about your motor. Check all connections/connectors, ect first. Check battery connections(no wing nuts but stainless nuts and washers).

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

5. Member
    Do you have the black button type push on kill switch or the red clip on type? With the black button type, pull off the button and push and hold in on the kill switch and see if it starts

6. Member
    Ok so I pulled the flywheel and ran a serious of resistance checks on everything i could think of. Power pack and all coils check good, stator is low end of the range but checks good, neutral switch checks good, kill switch is working, the timing base I get very inconsistent resistance readings across the pins but have not been able to find real clear instructions on how to test it. also appears to have a hairline crack down the housing so I’m thinking it may be the culprit. Magnets all in tact on the flywheel, the middle one seems a little worn but it’s still in one piece. Anyone here tested timer base on one of these?
    1987 Stratos 189v

7. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 316jughead View Post
    Do you have the black button type push on kill switch or the red clip on type? With the black button type, pull off the button and push and hold in on the kill switch and see if it starts
    Jacob, this guy right here 316jughead (Jerry), is a guru when it comes to the old OMC crossflow motors. Answer his questions and he'll have you back up and running in no time at all. What type of kill switch do you have?
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

8. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by headhigh View Post
    Jacob, this guy right here 316jughead (Jerry), is a guru when it comes to the old OMC crossflow motors. Answer his questions and he'll have you back up and running in no time at all. What type of kill switch do you have?
    GT 200 is a looper.

9. Member
    Yes sir it’s a 1988 200 GT. Has small black push button kill switch. One of the first things I did was pull the safety lanyard off and manually push the button and tried to start it. Do you meant remove the button completely and try to bypass it? Thanks!
    1987 Stratos 189v

10. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Download this manual from CDI it will help you greatly in your troubleshooting.http://www.cdielectronics.com/troubleshootingguide/

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakester136 View Post
    Yes sir it’s a 1988 200 GT. Has small black push button kill switch. One of the first things I did was pull the safety lanyard off and manually push the button and tried to start it. Do you meant remove the button completely and try to bypass it? Thanks!
    You did the test I was talking about. Those get worn and sometimes won't hold in the switch. You should get the red clip on lanyard.

12. Member
    Will do! I take it these are known to have issues
    1987 Stratos 189v

13. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    No just part of the troubleshooting process.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakester136 View Post
    Will do! I take it these are known to have issues
    Yes, I have had issues. Some tech's may not have had any problems with that style. I think that's why OMC came out with the red plastic clip, no problems with that one. You can adjust the switch to stick out farther and the button will hold better, maybe this is why some would hold and some would, in time, not.
    Last edited by 316jughead; 03-26-2020 at 11:37 AM.

15. Member
    To answer your question, yes I have tested timer bases, your OMC service manual will show you how to test the timer base, output and ohms.

16. Member
    Thanks! The timer base output tests bad according to the CDI manual, it however doesn’t exactly read the same the as the original OMC manual. Good news everything else tests good clearly, so Im going to start there if I can find one. Stator will need replacing before long it was at the bottom end of the specs but still in tolerance
    1987 Stratos 189v

17. Member
    The trouble with resistance tests they are done in a controlled lab. Air and motor temp at 70 degrees. You will almost always have some difference from the manual.

18. Member
    Makes sense, I was Mainly measuring for some kind of consistency across the pins and it was all over and not all of them read anything. Replaced timer base, still no spark....very frustrating
    1987 Stratos 189v

19. Member
    You didn't give us the model number. Do you have two power packs or just the one? Have you tested the stator for voltage output? If that was good did you test the power pack for voltage output? You should unplug all of the ignition connectors and look for corrosion, it builds up over time, clean them all. Make sure the power pack stop circuit is not grounded. The manual will show you how to do that. Did you test all cylinders for spark?
    Last edited by 316jughead; 04-05-2020 at 08:56 AM.