Thread: 198P stability

198P stability

Hi guys.

I was just wondering if anyone else feels that the boat gets a bit loose above 52/53. Every once in a while the back end will do a quick but significant "kick out", but then I back off and the boat settles down. Scares the heck out of me. I just feel like I really have to "drive" the boat; maybe a bit more than I should.

Any ideas on me maybe not being set up right? Motor too high/low, trim, weight/balance?

Or is it normal and I should get over it?

Its a "bite"

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorShine View Post
    Its a "bite"
    I'm not noticing any spike in RPM. The nose may drop a bit, if at all. Is this a red flag situation that something is off and about to go seriously wrong or is it a normal occurance having to do with the boat just shifting on pad?
    Last edited by Jlewis__1; 03-22-2020 at 05:30 PM.

4. Member
    Mine starts to chine a little at about 57-58, so I just keep it around 55.
    2020 Ranger RT 198p, Mercury 150 HP 4 stroke, Minn Kota 80# Fortrex

5. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    At WOT, running solo and light, if I am trimmed up a bit too much, she will chine... I can nose her down a bit and it's fine...
    No issues w/ a partner and tourney loaded.
    Last edited by King_Fish; 03-23-2020 at 07:54 AM.
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by Jlewis__1 View Post
    Hi guys.

I was just wondering if anyone else feels that the boat gets a bit loose above 52/53. Every once in a while the back end will do a quick but significant "kick out", but then I back off and the boat settles down. Scares the heck out of me. I just feel like I really have to "drive" the boat; maybe a bit more than I should.

Any ideas on me maybe not being set up right? Motor too high/low, trim, weight/balance?

Sounds like you might be a bit over trimmed are the prop is losing some of its bite. Although a different hull, my boat will also do this if I over trim. You also might have your motor mounted too high in relation to how much trim you are using.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

7. Member
    Yep, chine walk. Happens when over trimmed.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

8. Member
    The kick out your experiencing is not chine. That is a side to side motion the boat develops as speed increases and less pad is in the water. Between your weight and prop torque the boat wants to fall off pad. As it does the rear of the boat grabs water on one side, this causes a oscillation to start when drag releases and the bow swings slightly causing the other side of the boat to grab water. Short description of chine.

Prop oscillation can also occur if your engine is too low, but is not the same thing as chine walk, and has a much different feel.. Prop oscillation is felt in the rear of the boat and is commonly described as the boat “getting loose”.
    If you have a jack plate you may need to raise the engine a bit. Over trimming can also magnify this.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

Typical pad hull. If you have a jack plate raise the motor up a half inch and try it out. Once you find the sweet spot you wont have that anymore. You may also just be trimming more than the motor can lift the hull as well.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67 View Post
    The kick out your experiencing is not chine. That is a side to side motion the boat develops as speed increases and less pad is in the water. Between your weight and prop torque the boat wants to fall off pad. As it does the rear of the boat grabs water on one side, this causes a oscillation to start when drag releases and the bow swings slightly causing the other side of the boat to grab water. Short description of chine.

Prop oscillation can also occur if your engine is too low, but is not the same thing as chine walk, and has a much different feel.. Prop oscillation is felt in the rear of the boat and is commonly described as the boat “getting loose”.
    If you have a jack plate you may need to raise the engine a bit. Over trimming can also magnify this.

Don
    You Sir, must be a genius. Thank you very much for the explanation; it sounds spot on. Should I have any safety concerns about it as I work through it with engine heights/trim settings. Can it get out of control or be severe enough to cause a mishap?

11. Member
    You Sir, must be a genius. Thank you very much for the explanation; it sounds spot on. Should I have any safety concerns about it as I work through it with engine heights/trim settings. Can it get out of control or be severe enough to cause a mishap?
    Not a genius. Just experienced the same exact kick out that you did.
    I also own a performance hull (pad) boat and understand the difference in chine and prop oscillation.
    If the boat is getting fast enough to chine, than yes if left to continue to progress without steering and/or trim input, you can wind up facing the opposite direction.
    Raising the motor (Jack plate) will help stop the loose kick out. Raise it no more than a 1/4 inch at a time. Than run it and check it.

If the raising the JP stops the Prop Oscillation, than your good to go. The next step would be if your getting chine at the upper speeds of the boat.
    IF your boat starts to chine, DO NOT chop the throttle. Always trim down until the boat stabilizes.

Here is a link to understanding the chine, prop oscillation and boat set up. Very good read.
    https://basscat.com/forum/groups/bas...my-experience/

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

Correct me if I'm wrong but he says he experiences this when backing off or aka slowing down. My Tracker does the same thing. As we slow down, especially a pad boat, more of the hull is in the water and the boat is more apt to react with more surface area in the water. Now couple that with what Don said about the prop oscillating and your rear kicks out. Guess my RT never was fast enough to experience it but I do now, not very severe though and thankfully not as I don't have a jackplate…….yet???
    1995 Viper 201D
    1995 Johnson Venom 200
    Gas mileage is for sissies

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but he says he experiences this when backing off or aka slowing down. My Tracker does the same thing. As we slow down, especially a pad boat, more of the hull is in the water and the boat is more apt to react with more surface area in the water. Now couple that with what Don said about the prop oscillating and your rear kicks out. Guess my RT never was fast enough to experience it but I do now, not very severe though and thankfully not as I don't have a jackplate…….yet???
    He stated it kicked out while at 52-53 mph, and then he would back out the throttle.
    Thats the way I understood his post?
    Coming of pad quick will definitely make the boat react. Usually will pull sharply to the left when driving alone.
    Especially chopping the throttle.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

14. Member
    What Cajun hunter said. Raise your ptp to 3.5 inches and go up from there.

15. Member
    Hi guys.

Jlewis, mine does the same thing. It just happens without notice. It moves a few times and just stops. You described it perfectly. It feels like the back end walks from side to side quickly. It’s not a chine walk. The boat does not run hard enough to get loose on the pad with a 150 Pro XS. It’s a sled. I believe it’s the small lower unit on a large hull. It’s not long enough to hold the rear of the boat at certain speeds. Yep, right around 53 mph. I have an Atlas jackplate, 21 trophy. It happens when I have the motor down. I would have to get that measurement off the pad. I spent the last 20 years in an Allison XB2003, the last 6 years with a 280SS. 90mph with a 26 trophy. Sport master 1/4 above the pad. Always predictable. Never did anything weird. I will say the 198P is a great fishing platform.

16. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    "..I will say the 198P is a great fishing platform"

As good as any, with the TM down!
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

I have a Triton 176 Magnum it has a padded hull. The boat is real sensitive to being over trimmed and when you trim back down it will bite and feel like the rear end is kicking out.
    tcesni
    used to have same boat and I have seen him mention before about his being trim sensitive. I think it a characteristic of a padded hull.