Echomap 93SV Plus

I asked a question regarding range rings and got some good info. I thought I'd start a new thread for this query. Do you guys that have these units like them? The price right now ($599 in a lot of places) makes it hard for me not to go ahead and get a couple for my new to me boat that I pick up Friday. How do they compare to the other brands? I know they are a mid-level unit, but so were my HB Helixes and I had no complaints as far as imaging and use. The boat currently has Lowrance HDS units (a 9 at the console and a 7 at the bow) but I have no idea how or if they are networked or the capabilities at this point. I think they are Gen 2, but they could be Gen 3 not sure. Would you switch from them? The Livescope is really interesting to me but I'm not sure that alone would make it worth changing. I've watched several videos and the performance looks solid...

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Well, i had Gen 3 HDS units and when to Echomap Plus units and have no regrets.....actually like them better.....being these are "mid range" units they do MOST of what the high end do with some exceptions. Do i miss my Lowrance, NOPE.....i have since upgraded to 1 unit to the 12" Ultra and still have the "gen 1" EC+ units on bow.....but will update it to the 10" Ultra when i can......easy to use, lot more adjustments, never had any issues, as for transducer, The GT52 is good but the down vu is not the best but GT54 is better. 2d sonar is awesome.....LiveScope is even better, all that for the TM.....as for the console (not sure what typed/brand boat) might look at the GT8/GT30 ducer combo.....GT8 is a shoot thru and GT30 is imaging.....

On a side note, the GT54 will work with those units but you do not get the UHD frequency for sidevu.......
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    I been thinking about switching from lowrance to garmin. I just cant seem to find screenshots of the echomap plus units that are real life.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by acwd1950 View Post
    I been thinking about switching from lowrance to garmin. I just cant seem to find screenshots of the echomap plus units that are real life.
    should be able to find some in the image forum. search back a couple years.

5. Member
    fishin couillon - it's a Phoenix 618. I'd like to have the console unit be able to do 2D, side and down imaging. I'm still learning, but am getting much better at offshore stuff. My bow unit would only need mapping and 2D (plus Livescope if added later) as I use the console unit to locate things and then use the shared waypoint to actually set up and fish.

6. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    How is your current setup on boat.? Is there a shoot thru ducer now?

7. Member
    I'm not sure, I'll have to check Friday when I pick it up. I know there is a 3-in-1 or structure scan transducer no the transom so I just assumed there was a shoot thru on there as well. I think on the front it's using the US2 sonar from the Ultrex, there isn't any additional transducers on the TM. Will the GT52 (or whatever comes with the 93SV +) work or would I need to go with the combo you mentioned? The HB units needed two different transducers to make everything work, a skimmer (or shoot thru) and then the scanning one as the scanning one usually wouldn't work at speed.

8. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    3 in 1 is all sonar (side/down/sonar), so if it is on the transom, it will not read on plane assuming its up high on the transom.....i installed the GT15 next to the lowrance puck in my 619, works great.....

For the TM, the GT52 will work, its an all in one.....as for console/transom, In my opinion, you would need the combo i mentioned above for on plane sonar readings.....if you would use the GT52, it wont work on plane unless you mount it at the bottom of the hull at the pad.....

9. Member

USA

I have a 93 SV plus with Livescope. The unit is ok- I had a Helix 9 G2 prior and the side imaging was way better on the helix ( night and day in my opinion) -the 93sv plus is just ok -tempted to look at an ultra.

10. Member
    I came from 'bird and am extremely happy. What other $600, or even $1000 units can compete on features and performance?

$599 w/ G3 maps, a GT52, a 9" touchscreen, networkable units, etc. This can't be beat for the price, IMO. I do notice the lower screen resolution on occasion. They can also be a bit sluggish when rendering a lot of map data but nothing that isn't manageable. From what I've heard all my nit-picky complaints would go away if I moved up to an Ultra, which is more comparable in price to a Helix.

11. Member
    I looked at the Ultra over the weekend...its a really nice unit. There are a few things I didn't like about the Helix units, so I don't think I'll go that direction. If I went HB it would be Solix but those start at $2K each. I like the Garmins, just trying to decide which units to go with. Will probably have a couple of Lowrance HDS units up for sale before too much longer...

12. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    IF you can swing the Ultra's go for that.....love my 12" Ultra....

13. Member
    The difference in resolution is huge...that's my big hangup on the 93SV. 400x800 isn't that great anymore. My HB G2N Helixes were 480x800 and the G3Ns are 1024x600. I think a lot of folks overlook the pixel count when evaluating image quality. A "best case" 400x800 won't look as good as a "pretty good" 1280x800. That might be why some guys are lacking the clarity they think they should be getting on the side view compared to other brands. I hate spending ~2K a unit, but it looks like that might be what it takes.

14. Member
    Screen resolution is not the issue for sidevu lacking clarity.

More like transducer resolution.

93sv plus.
    2d> Excellent (best in class (compared to HB, Lowrance and Raymarine)
    Di and Si are not very good (worst in class)

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattVT18 View Post
    I asked a question regarding range rings and got some good info. I thought I'd start a new thread for this query. Do you guys that have these units like them? The price right now ($599 in a lot of places) makes it hard for me not to go ahead and get a couple for my new to me boat that I pick up Friday. How do they compare to the other brands? I know they are a mid-level unit, but so were my HB Helixes and I had no complaints as far as imaging and use. The boat currently has Lowrance HDS units (a 9 at the console and a 7 at the bow) but I have no idea how or if they are networked or the capabilities at this point. I think they are Gen 2, but they could be Gen 3 not sure. Would you switch from them? The Livescope is really interesting to me but I'm not sure that alone would make it worth changing. I've watched several videos and the performance looks solid...
    buy the 93 and save the rest of your money and get livescope. You won't be sorry. Now if you can afford ultra and livescope, go for it. . Imo livescope almost makes 2 d and di and si un needed on bow.. now console would have differnt applications., high speed, etc.

17. Member
    i have a 93sv plus and have been happy but i have never had higher end unit so i guess i dont know what i am missing . with that being said what would i need to add to my 93 sv plus to have livescope

Quote Originally Posted by 03ranger185vs View Post
    i have a 93sv plus and have been happy but i have never had higher end unit so i guess i dont know what i am missing . with that being said what would i need to add to my 93 sv plus to have livescope
    The transducer and black box. https://www.cabelas.com/product/Garm...pe/2867833.uts
    Jim
    Garmin 93 sv plus, LVS32
    Helix 10 SI Mega
    Helix 7 DI G2N
    20.5 Duracraft Center console
    Madison, Ms
    Vietnam Veteran 69-70

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MonteSS View Post
    93sv plus.
    2d> Excellent (best in class (compared to HB, Lowrance and Raymarine)
    Di and Si are not very good (worst in class)
    That's kind of what I'm finding out. Might get a Plus 93SV for my bow unit and an Ultra 106SV for the console. I mainly use 2D and mapping at the trolling motor, all my heavy lifting (graphing and such) is done from the driver seat. Probably makes sense to have the more capable unit there. Can the transducer that comes with the Ultra be used with a puck as well or do you have to get the two transducer combo to make that work? Just trying to make sure I understand what all I'd need.

20. Member
    Thank you duwhat for the info. My apologies Matt. Did not mean to highjack your post.