Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Michigan & Ohio Interesting Numbers (Coronavirus) and All 50 States Orders

Ohio and Michigan have similar populations and similar urban centers but Michigan is reporting 787 cases and Ohio only 247 over the same timeline. There are a lot of variables and these are only raw numbers but nevertheless interesting. Both states have the same basic orders in place but Ohio was much more aggressive in issuing orders earlier and there is some thought that this may account for some to the difference. https://www.cleveland.com/news/2020/...-michigan.html

All 50 states have some kind of controls in place now but it is not the same from state to state and in some cases not even consistent from place to place within the same state. Here is an alphabetical listing of state controls if you want to check it out: https://www.cleveland.com/metro/2020...-pandemic.html

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

2. Member
    Ohio has shut down a State unemployed over a million people meanwhile 3 people have died ages 76 83 and 92 in a State population of 11.5 MILLION

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenn.todd View Post
    Ohio has shut down a State unemployed over a million people meanwhile 3 people have died ages 76 83 and 92 in a State population of 11.5 MILLION

over-reaction by dewine? time will tell? he will be the hero or the zero when it is all over likely
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

4. Member
    Nashville TN just issued a "stay at home" and closed all non essential biz at midnight tonight. I live about 40 mins away, so far we don't have that mandate. Nashville Metro exploded with cases a few days ago. We are at 3 cases in our county.

5. Member
    Glad to be in a state ahead of the curve, personally. This pandemic is going to blow up when we start getting more test results across the country.

6. Banned
    The map is not real accurate. The blue states are basically shut down, regardless of state orders from the top. I think the vast majority are isolated, except for food and pharmacies and hospitals.

7. Member
    I'm in Michigan and I still stand by the only factual information that is available. The percentages when you actually do the math are the only numbers I care about. These estimates and predictions are just that. We need the essentials - bread, milk, food , gas and I will continue to get them when I need them.

I choose to stay on the positive side of this equation until the numbers tell me otherwise. At present .007% of the total population affected .

8. Member
    Without the testing numbers the rest is irrelevant. If Michigan is testing twice as much it would give them a higher incident rate.
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    over-reaction by dewine? time will tell? he will be the hero or the zero when it is all over likely

I hate it as much as then the next person but I'd rather be the governor that over-reacted and has to live with the economic impact than the governor that under-reacted and has to live with the deaths on hundreds or more the rest of my life...

DeWine is doing the right thing and did it quickly in my book..
    Scott

2022 Phoenix 21 PHX
    Solix & Helix w/ Mega Live
    MinnKota Ultrexx 36v 112
    Power Poles

10. Member
    More than 70% of the tests taken here in Michigan are NEGATIVE, less than 3000 total

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff La View Post
    Without the testing numbers the rest is irrelevant. If Michigan is testing twice as much it would give them a higher incident rate.
    +1
    That's the key piece of info missing here. Are they testing at the same rate? Maine has virtually stopped testing so we can expect "confirmed cases" to drop-off on paper but in reality who knows?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smp005 View Post
    I hate it as much as then the next person but I'd rather be the governor that over-reacted and has to live with the economic impact than the governor that under-reacted and has to live with the deaths on hundreds or more the rest of my life...

DeWine is doing the right thing and did it quickly in my book..
    -
    Absolutely.........FAR too many people keep looking at the ‘now’ numbers. Current cases at this minute and reacting based off those numbers. That’s reactive; gotta be proactive.
    -
    You’ve got to remember exponential growth. Leaders sitting on their hands at moments like this are letting opportunity fly by.
    -
    This things spreads like wildfire. And if they wait too long; then that window of opportunity to react has slammed shut and hospitals run out of beds and deaths skyrocket.
    -
    Ask Italy.

13. Member
    Ohio had 5 confirmed deaths from the regular old flu. 3 deaths from the corona virus and one of those is suspect.

14. Member
    It remains to be seen if he shut the barn door before or after the horse was out.

--Voltaire

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eriedude View Post
    Ohio had 5 confirmed deaths from the regular old flu. 3 deaths from the corona virus and one of those is suspect.
    Well then, nothing to see here. Let's go on and ignore this fake news. Glad you have proclaimed it a non event. It was cramping my style anyway.

As a healthcare worker, I'm asking you to be patient and sit tight for a while.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    As a healthcare worker, I'm asking you to be patient and sit tight for a while.
    Good advice. All numbers, including the ones in the stories I cited, are by definition, historical. In this case the numbers may be 24 or 48 hours old. But this is fast moving. What is happening right now is what is important but we don't know that and, at best, can only project on past results.

Yesterday Gov. DeWine gave the best piece of advice I've heard yet. In making a decision of whether it is essential for you to go out in public, you must assume that you will come in contact with at least one person who will expose you to coronavirus. With that in mind, is going out in public really essential?

--Voltaire

18. Member
    All the people that keep beating the type A flu comparison drum are missing one key fact. We have a vaccine every year to help keep it in check. Some years the match is better than others. We don't have a vaccine yet for Coronavirus, so the only means of controlling is smothering exposure. That's why this is a big deal, and the continuous comparison is just stupid. Coronavirus is more easily spread, more deadly, and has no current vaccine, the only three things that are important. Carry on with the broken record.

19. Member
    Here's the numbers:

Michigan. Ohio
    Positive 787. 247
    Negative 2069. 140
    Hospitalized N/A. 58
    Deaths 5. 3

Remember, positive tests doesnt mean you have a higher infection rate. Testing is not being done randomly, some states are only testing severely symptomatic patients while some are not even testing if it would not change the planned treatment. Hospitalization rates would probably be the best indicator but Michigan isn't reporting yet.

Quote Originally Posted by TritonJT View Post
    All the people that keep beating the type A flu comparison drum are missing one key fact. We have a vaccine every year to help keep it in check. Some years the match is better than others. We don't have a vaccine yet for Coronavirus, so the only means of controlling is smothering exposure. That's why this is a big deal, and the continuous comparison is just stupid. Coronavirus is more easily spread, more deadly, and has no current vaccine, the only three things that are important. Carry on with the broken record.

Its pretty close to 50% of American adults that choose to not get a flu shot each year.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast