Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dogfish_Jones

Think my shoot thru transducer not working

I recently installed an shoot this transducer with using the Y cable to my Helix 12 HW.
    Transducer is the - XP 9 20
    Last weekend it worked perfect I could still read depth running 60+ mph.
    Today once I get over 30 mph I lose depth readings. I’m thinking the Helix is not picking up the 2d puck and just using the SI transducer that came with the unit. I check the wiring and it’s still connected. I am using the connection box at the back of the unit with all my connections locked in them. It would seem if that wasn’t connected the others would not be also.
    I worked fine last weekend is what gets me. Is there a way I can check on Helix screen that the 2d transducer is connected?

2. Member
    Were you running it in 2D both days?
    2020 BassCat Cougar FTD SP
    2020 250 Pro SX
    #Denalirods #Powerpole
    #PowerhouseLithium
    #Powerpole Move

3. Dogfish_Jones
    Is there a 3D version to? I think it said that today. I do know that, I assume it need to be in 2d for it to work.

4. Member
    is Your 2D Chirp mode turned on?
    forensic anthropology career outlook
    2020 250 Pro SX
    #Denalirods #Powerpole
    #PowerhouseLithium
    #Powerpole Move

5. Dogfish_Jones
    I will check that tomorrow. So, it should say High Frequency beside the 2D Chirp display?

6. Member
    That's the reason I don't use shoot through transducers. Read some of my other diatribes. Check the Y - Cable connections. Known problem if you don't get them seated correctly.

My memory tells me that is the wrong transducer, but it worked once, you say. That leads me to believe my memory is faulty.

I'm sure Wayne will be on soon with some technical poop. Exactly what Helix do you have on the helm?

7. Dogfish_Jones
    That’s the transducer Wayne recommended to use on the HW model. Yea, worked like a champ last weekend.

8. Member
    I’m not sure what frequency it needs to be in? One of these guys a lot smarter than me probably can tell you lol. I also think if you pull the 2D sonar view up on your screen, you could reach in the bilge and feel the transducer. If you can feel it clicking, you’ll know if it’s, at least, trying to work.
    2020 250 Pro SX
    #Denalirods #Powerpole
    #PowerhouseLithium
    #Powerpole Move

9. Dogfish_Jones
    I went and checked. It is on High Frequency. I also notice on down where it said, “ transducer connected it said Mega.

10. Dogfish_Jones
    Quote Originally Posted by Knuckle View Post
    I’m not sure what frequency it needs to be in? One of these guys a lot smarter than me probably can tell you lol. I also think if you pull the 2D sonar view up on your screen, you could reach in the bilge and feel the transducer. If you can feel it clicking, you’ll know if it’s, at least, trying to work.
    Mine is mounted almost to the very rear and I had to take out all the batteries and the cover lid to get there. I can’t just reach down there without removing all that. When I installed it, I did everything like the instructions said. I let it sit for 48 hours and allowed the epoxy to harden up. I also tied strap the wire to make sure it would not be pulled and maybe break loose later on.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogfish_Jones View Post
    That’s the transducer Wayne recommended to use on the HW model. Yea, worked like a champ last weekend.

Hmmm, unless I’m confused (which is likely), I just looked back and it appears Wayne suggested the “XP 9 HW” transducer for your application. Not saying that’s the issue, but I am curious since I have the same application.

12. Dogfish_Jones
    Quote Originally Posted by lauzon4 View Post
    Hmmm, unless I’m confused (which is likely), I just looked back and it appears Wayne suggested the “XP 9 HW” transducer for your application. Not saying that’s the issue, but I am curious since I have the same application.
    I bet my memory is worse than yours! Problem is I would forget that I even had a bet for that.
    Whichever transducer Wayne suggested was what I got. It was the HW one since I got the Helix 12 HW model. My memory was shot yesterday even worse than normal. A long day of getting up at 3AM, driving about 100 miles to fish for 9 hours in our club tournament at Guntersville.
    I will say this...... I fished those same rip raps in Brown Creek that Hank Cherry fished.......he did better than I did , a lot better.

13. Member
    Y cable. Check this out.
    2020 250 Pro SX
    #Denalirods #Powerpole
    #PowerhouseLithium
    #Powerpole Move

14. Member
    Might have come unconnected to the hull, worked loose.

15. Dogfish_Jones
    I checked my connections in the console area, everything was snapped in tight. I checked my connection to the Helix head, that was connected. I guess the next thing is to try to look in the hull to see if it came undone. If so, it’s back to pulling everything back out.
    I may either get the Stern Saver or the Rye-tech new transducer mount and mount the transducer 3/4” lower, that will allow 1/2 of that transducer to be below the hull. Just get the correct angle might will give me on plane depth.

16. Member
    If it changed performance from one trip to the next then I would check the installation of the in-hull transducer. It may have been a weak bond between the transducer and hull and came loose or enough to get an air gap between the transducer face and hull. If you are using a y-cable, depth readings can only come from the in-hull transducer.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

17. Dogfish_Jones
    Quote Originally Posted by ezfishn View Post
    If it changed performance from one trip to the next then I would check the installation of the in-hull transducer. It may have been a weak bond between the transducer and hull and came loose or enough to get an air gap between the transducer face and hull. If you are using a y-cable, depth readings can only come from the in-hull transducer.
    That's my next step is to uncover everything in the back and look down into the hull and check it. I sanded the hull smooth, wiped it clean with alcohol and spread a light cover over the transducer then put the rest on the hull, put it down there, twisted it 90 degrees and put a weight on it for 48 hours. I put it right next to the in hull transducer that was factory installed by Nitro. They installed a Lowrance where I have all Humminbirds. Wish they could interchange.........

Quote Originally Posted by Dogfish_Jones View Post
    That's my next step is to uncover everything in the back and look down into the hull and check it. I sanded the hull smooth, wiped it clean with alcohol and spread a light cover over the transducer then put the rest on the hull, put it down there, twisted it 90 degrees and put a weight on it for 48 hours. I put it right next to the in hull transducer that was factory installed by Nitro. They installed a Lowrance where I have all Humminbirds. Wish they could interchange.........
    The Lowrance would be a 83/200 kHz transducer and you can adapt it to a Humminbird if it is the blue plug model.
    8M4001962 is the Motor Guide to Humminbird adapter.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

19. Dogfish_Jones
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    The Lowrance would be a 83/200 kHz transducer and you can adapt it to a Humminbird if it is the blue plug model.
    8M4001962 is the Motor Guide to Humminbird adapter.
    Thanks Wayne, I will check into that.

20. Dogfish_Jones
    The transducer that came with the boat was the Lowrance HOOK² / Reveal SplitShot Skimmer Transducer. It's not the blue adapter...any adapter to hook this up to a Humminbird?

lowrance plug.png
    Last edited by Dogfish_Jones; 03-23-2020 at 03:58 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast