Question RT188P and RT198P Cooler

It is my understanding that the built in cooler on these boats drain into the bilge. Anyone actually use them? My concern is that draining into the bilge might cause mold/mildew unless you are able to completely dry each time. I've had boats with slight leaks in livewell that caused mildew in <1 week.

Any problems with this?

I am still debating a 2019 RT188 versus the 2020 RT188P.

2. Member
    I have not used my cooler yet so I can't help with that. But I will say you definitely need to go with the P model, huge difference.
    Go Big Blue!

When I had my RT188 I used one of the rear compartments as a cooler since it was totally foamed in, it drained into the bilge but never saw any mildew. does get pretty hot where I live though.
    1995 Viper 201D
    1995 Johnson Venom 200
    Gas mileage is for sissies

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    I've used my rear compartment numerous times as a cooler, no problem with mold. I typically store my boat with the back hatch slightly opened.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

5. Member
    I have not seen many boats that didn't get a little water in the bilge, that is where rain goes, and most boats have a drain grill somewhere on the floor. That is why you have a bilge pump and a drain plug that you pull to drain the bilge.

6. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    I use the on-board cooler every outing, and I must say they are GREAT coolers... Yes, they do drain into the bilge. X2 on what pabasshawk says above.

PS - if you can swing it, X2 on the Pad hull, big difference!!!

Every so often I squirt some Dawn dishwashing fluid into the bilge and let 'er swish around and that seems to keep it fairly clean
    Last edited by King_Fish; 03-23-2020 at 07:57 AM.
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Fish View Post
    I use the on-board cooler every outing, and I must say they are GREAT coolers... Yes, they do drain into the bilge. X2 on what pabasshawk says above.

PS - if you can swing it, X2 on the Pad hull, big difference!!!

Every so often I squirt some Dawn dishwashing fluid into the bilge and let 'er swish around and that seems to keep it fairly clean
    I do the same thing with a little Dawn dish soap squirted into the bilge when I take the trailer on the road so it sloshes around good. Keeps the bilge nice and clean. And yes the cooler on my 198P works great.

8. Member
    You'll find that you'll really never get all of the water out of the bilge area from various sources, unless you take a sponge to it. the drain just doesn't sit low enough to let it all out, even when you tilt the boat up. So, probably not a big concern.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.