Added jack plate, got a question about setup

Just added a 6" Vance manual Jackplate to the back of my 97 181 champ. I didn't know about the PTP measurement until I dropped it off to get the work done, wish I would have measured it first. The boat has a 150 merc EFI, with a 23 Tempest, and was mounted 3rd hole down. It would jump out of the water like a rocket and ran great. At top speed it ran right at 5600 rpm. When I picked it up, it is still mounted 3rd hole down on the plate, it seems way to high. So I looked up the PTP measurement on this site and it says 3.5" to start. When I measured it in the garage its 2 5/8", the plate will only come down a little more, but will go up a lot. Should I have the motor remounted down to to top hole, which would drop it 1.5". That would be roughly 4 1/8" and then adjust up to 3.5 and start there for testing on the water. Or does the Jackplate change the measurement. Just spent a lot of money on upgrades, which I will post later, but this is the last item to do to get her back on the water. All your input would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. Member
    I also have the original dash panel for the boat that I just took off if anyone needs one. I made a custom one out of aluminum so I could mount the new 9" helix and the Tour 80# that I took off with the transducer with temp. Also the Lowrance unit.
    Last edited by Surr; 03-23-2020 at 04:10 PM.

3. Member
    Is there any old manuals or charts on champion set ups I could get for the info

Yes, and make sure the reseal it REALLY good.

Quote Originally Posted by Surr View Post
    Just added a 6" Vance manual Jackplate to the back of my 97 181 champ. I didn't know about the PTP measurement until I dropped it off to get the work done, wish I would have measured it first. The boat has a 150 merc EFI, with a 23 Tempest, and was mounted 3rd hole down. It would jump out of the water like a rocket and ran great. At top speed it ran right at 5600 rpm. When I picked it up, it is still mounted 3rd hole down on the plate, it seems way to high. So I looked up the PTP measurement on this site and it says 3.5" to start. When I measured it in the garage its 2 5/8", the plate will only come down a little more, but will go up a lot. Should I have the motor remounted down to to top hole, which would drop it 1.5". That would be roughly 4 1/8" and then adjust up to 3.5 and start there for testing on the water. Or does the Jackplate change the measurement. Just spent a lot of money on upgrades, which I will post later, but this is the last item to do to get her back on the water. All your input would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

5. Member
    They said transom was wet, so they replaced the transom with Cosa board. Didn't want to spend all that money on upgrades and worry about a weak transom. Just looked at it again and its mounted a lot higher than originally.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Surr View Post

I would have the motor positioned on the JP so you can start at about 4" below, and be able to jack up to about 2" below. Tempest Plus in my experience runs somewhere between 4" below and 3.5" below. A JP will allow for a higher PTP hight and increase in RPM and speed.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

7. Pat Goff
    Set the plate at half travel.
    Mount motor on plate so it’s as close to 3.5” as possible.
    Adjust as needed.
    That’s the way we do it here.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmgoffjr View Post
    Set the plate at half travel.
    Mount motor on plate so it’s as close to 3.5” as possible.
    Adjust as needed.
    That’s the way we do it here.
    This is the right approach. You can do some measuring to figure which hole the motor needs to be in if you measure correctly. I just went through this with my motor. The dealer buried it in the top/deepest hole. This prevented me from utilizing my jackplate optimally. I raised the motor to the middle hole and that's just what I needed.
    GETFISHED !!!

9. Member
    The 23 tempest is perfect for that model/engine combo. Listen to Pat on the motor height recommendation and you will be in great shape!

10. Member
    Thanks guys, when things open up here again, I'll have them move the motor down and adjust from there.