Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New 2020 Gambler VS Allison??

Ok, so I may have purposely worded the subject of this thread a bit aggressively to draw attention from the Allison faithful. However, it's partially accurate. I would like to see if any Allison owners, preferably of a newer basssport pro or pro elite, would be interested in meeting somewhere to exchange a ride in your rig for a ride in one of the brand new 2020 20'7" Gamblers. I've been a big fan of Allison boats and the company (based on hear-say) for years, but I've never actually ridden in one. I'm pretty confident that the Alli is faster hp for hp, not much dispute there, but I'd love to see how it rides, carries a load, handles, etc. I'm curious to how the Gambler stacks up. Are you?

I'm located near Charleston, South Carolina; but would be willing to drive a reasonable distance to meet (intentionally vague so I can back out if you're a weirdo). If you're interested PM me, and let's work out the details.
    - Heath

Put up a few pictures. We would love to see the boat and congratulations on bringing the boats back. It looks like you guys have done a lot of work.

What motor is on the Gambler?

Gambler has always been one of my favorite boats from a looks perspective. The trim tabs are super cool as well. Neat tech on them. Do you have the 20' boat on the website yet? I didn't see it.

Looking at your data the Ally should pull the gambler pretty good from a load carrying perspective. The 2 seater fully loaded puts up incredible numbers.
    Last edited by River Rocket; 03-20-2020 at 09:33 PM.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

West Texas; if you make it out this far-- I'm in.
    First new boat I ever owned was a 1994 209 TE... Beautiful boat, huge front deck. back deck not so much. I talked to Bob A. several times back then.
    Would be interested to see how the new boat rides compared to the old.

4. BBC SPONSOR
    Interested for sure. I should have my next demo in 2-3 weeks.

2020 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2020 Mercury 300R

750 US 62
    Grand Rivers, KY

No better place to compare than Kentucky Lake in March/April.

My last demo ran decent
    Last edited by Tim Powell; 03-20-2020 at 10:42 PM.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

5. Member
    I have owned 2 Allisons and ridden in a Gambler. I will put my money on the A boats.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

6. Member
    I hope this happens. Watching..

7. Member
    River Rocket,
    Not sure if you'd consider the 20'7" hull a 20' or 21', but it's what we're calling the 21 Gambler for now. I reckon because it's closer to 21' than it is to 20'. Regardless, we've only built 2 prototype/demo boats, and those are what you see on the website. My recent YouTube video (below)was shot in the 21 (20'7") running the stock 250 SHO, and a 29" Bravo I XS. The prop was a little to tall for the setup, but it still put up some decent numbers. I was still impressed with the performance and build quality of the Bravo though. All the welds were invisible, surfaces all silky smooth and mirror-like , and the edges were all clean and crisp. We're going to drop down to 28" Bravo or a ProMaxR next and see what happens. I'll be posting all the tests on YouTube periodically, so keep an eye out. Anyway, kind of got on a tangent here per usual when I'm talking about boats. Thanks for the feedback, and let me know if you have any questions about the new Gs.

- Heath

8. Member
    Uh, yeah Tim, I'd say it ran "decent." Lol.
    So looks like you're about 10 hrs away from me, which is a pretty solid haul. Would you be willing to meet me in the middle? I don't know... maybe somewhere around Knoxville? I'm sure it will depend on the corona virus situation at the time, but maybe we could swing by and see the folks at Allison while I'm there. That'd be cool. Regardless, I sincerely appreciate the response and the offer. Hope we can work something out.
    - Heath

9. Member
    There is a ramp right next to the allison plant, I've used it a time or two.

Nice..
    Are those rods straped down ?
    I've lost enough things in the last 35 years I started identifying them by what speed they ejected.
    78 mph wide brimmed hat.
    88 mph cap.
    90 mph rod.
    100 mph fishing pliers .

11. Member
    Haha! Yes sir, they're strapped down. I've have had a few things come whizzing past my head to never been seen again. Got lucky one time and actually batted my cell phone out of mid air and it landed in the splash well in front of the motor.
    - Heath

12. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    I didn't know Gambler boats were being made again. And by the way you say "we" in your posts H. Murphy it sounds like you are maybe an owner of the new gambler company?? I say that's pretty cool seeing the boats being made again. Great boats from the ones I've been in back in my club days
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

13. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by H.Murphy View Post
    Uh, yeah Tim, I'd say it ran "decent." Lol.
    So looks like you're about 10 hrs away from me, which is a pretty solid haul. Would you be willing to meet me in the middle? I don't know... maybe somewhere around Knoxville? I'm sure it will depend on the corona virus situation at the time, but maybe we could swing by and see the folks at Allison while I'm there. That'd be cool. Regardless, I sincerely appreciate the response and the offer. Hope we can work something out.

For sure. Allison is located in Louisville, TN and there is a boat ramp just down the road. My next demo isnt quite finished yet but its close, plus I will need time to get it rigged out as well. I do have the engine so there will be no delays there.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Nice..
    I've lost enough things in the last 35 years I started identifying them by what speed they ejected.
    78 mph wide brimmed hat.
    88 mph cap.
    90 mph rod.
    100 mph fishing pliers .
    In my old 2+2 rods would go airborne at 55mph. Luckily my co-angler was quick and caught the rod as it was flying between us.
    John Wolff
    2003 Allison XB21 2+2
    2003 Mercury 250xs

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Nice..
    78 mph wide brimmed hat.
    88 mph cap.
    90 mph rod.
    100 mph fishing pliers .
    A Zara Spook will take flight from a Stroker deck at 67mph. Rods in the upper 80’s.

16. Member
    I see that you video is capturing some different measurements that I do not normally see in these videos. It looks like it is picking up the ride of the hull. I have always thought that measurements like these could be used to somewhat quantify a hulls ride. If you could record those values, then values across different hulls could be compared.

heck for that matter some of those could be used when the hull is sitting still. Just have someone walk from left to right and front to rear on the hull would show stability at rest.
    currently boatless

17. Member
    Yup, I'm way ahead of you there astasoftride, but I like where your head's at!!! The data on the camera screen is actually measured by the Garmin VIRB Ultra's 9-axis accelerometer. There's whole slew of sensor data that Garmin calls G-metrix that you can put on the screen (post recording), but yes I chose those parameters for that reason. However... Me being the nerdy engineer that I am I already built a data logger that also has an accelerometer for that exact reason. It also has an ultra sonic distance transducer, water pressure transducer, reads the Bob's plate gauge, and also talks NMEA 2000 to the yamaha, and the lowrance units and records all that too while you're driving. When I have it hooked up I can actually put the jack plate position on the lowrance screens, which is kind of cool.

20200116_023936.jpg
    - Heath

Quote Originally Posted by astasoftride View Post
    I see that you video is capturing some different measurements that I do not normally see in these videos. It looks like it is picking up the ride of the hull. I have always thought that measurements like these could be used to somewhat quantify a hulls ride. If you could record those values, then values across different hulls could be compared.

heck for that matter some of those could be used when the hull is sitting still. Just have someone walk from left to right and front to rear on the hull would show stability at rest.
    We have been doing this for a while. Watch some of the Fastbass Marine Videos. I used the Virbs Accelerator to show the difference in the set the boat takes when going into the wind vs. wind at your back.

Like Murphy, I have "other" collection devices for seeing and graphing all the other boat parameters. Extremely useful information.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    I didn't know Gambler boats were being made again. And by the way you say "we" in your posts H. Murphy it sounds like you are maybe an owner of the new gambler company?? I say that's pretty cool seeing the boats being made again. Great boats from the ones I've been in back in my club days
    That's correct. Thanks!! I know my partner Scott Gouin and I are both extremely excited to be building them again.
    - Heath

Same molds Ackerbloom used?
    2022 Basscat Jaquar
    Mercury 300 Pro Xs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast