Suzuki lower unit question

New to bbc was wondering if I could bet some info on a 2016 150 Suzuki four stroke. Do I need special tools to replace the propshaft. I’m a machinist and mechanic I know some mercy that I’m accustomed to have special tools thanks

You will probably have to have special tools. If you don't own a service manual for the engine, I highly suggest you invest in one. Very useful information.
    Sam Dunaway
    2005 Triton TR-21X
    Powered by Suzuki 250SS

3. Member
    I had a special tool. Hit something on the river, thought I had an issue with my DF 175 lower unit. Took it to the local marina repair place that did Suzukis. I did have a crack in the cavitation plate. They took mine apart after a couple of weeks last Summer, called me, I went over he showed it to me said it was fine. Sometimes Stainless Steel props make noises inside the L/U. Had them weld the crack and paint and reassemble it. Now I could add a whale tail which helps incredible amount.
    My special tool was a $1000 bill.

4. Member
    Ouch, Bill that hurts!

I did a similar thing, and the repair was covered by my boat insurance. I didnt even think about the insurance at the time, my Suzuki dealer asked me if I had comprehensive insurance when he inspected the damage, I said yes, and he suggested I lodge a claim. Approved, as it was of course accidental damage from striking a submerged object.

5. Member
    I have $500 deductible. I thought it over. State Farm said they would cover me up to $8200. Well, since I was already going to be out $500 no matter what, I decided not to put a claim in, I just paid it out of pocket.
    I really like what the hydrofoil does for me especially when doing a hole shot in shallow water.

6. Member
    Yes I can understand that Bill.

My fix was a new prop shaft, and the estimate was around $1200. The part alone was around $600. And they also did a touch up and prop scan/balance on my stainless prop as part of the repair.

I only have a $250 deductible and having never had a claim in 30 years, and so I had the bonus of guaranteed no impact on future premiums. So it made sense to claim.

These lower unit repairs certainly are expensive!