Fuel Line Question

Can anyone tell me how long the gray/blue fuel line lasts when ethanol fuels have been used? My original gray/red line was replaced with the current gray/blue about 10-12 years ago. Thanks.

2. Member
    huh, ive seen some not last 2 years, and start delaminating
    where the grass is green and the girls are pretty And remember falling feels like flying till you hit the ground

3. Member
    Changed to current spec Mercury fuel line on my boat several years ago and still in use today (ethanol enhanced fuel). Think I've read Don recommend replacing every 4 or 5yrs as a precaution.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Inspect annually. I would replace it at 5 years (regardless).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 44 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    so is the gray fuel line good or bad. I dont run ethanol
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2000 Ranger R93 VS
    1999 Merc 200efi
    Humminbird 1198 & 999
    Minn Kota Fortrex

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Gray with BLUE or BLACK print, including the letters "EPA" in the verbiage every 1' (approximate) in length is the later style line.

That being said, the color of the line, or the color of the print, does not tell you if the line is "good". It could be well over a decade old.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 44 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Just replaced mine and the inner lining was separating! 5 years old

8. Member
    Get you some quality good old black fuel line and you won’t have those problems.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j archer View Post
    so is the gray fuel line good or bad. I dont run ethanol
    seen this also even in non ethanol useage
    where the grass is green and the girls are pretty And remember falling feels like flying till you hit the ground

10. Member
    Anything wrong with just using good ole automotive fuel line? I don’t use ethanol
    2000 Ranger R93 VS
    1999 Merc 200efi
    Humminbird 1198 & 999
    Minn Kota Fortrex

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by j archer View Post
    Anything wrong with just using good ole automotive fuel line? I don’t use ethanol
    Absolutely DO NOT use automotive line. Fuel line used in boats must meet EPA and Coast Guard requirements (which automotive fuel line does not).

12. Member
    OK THANKS
    2000 Ranger R93 VS
    1999 Merc 200efi
    Humminbird 1198 & 999
    Minn Kota Fortrex

13. Member
    One thing I don’t understand is how newer cars/trucks have fuel lines that hold up just fine using ethanol and we are using marine fuel lines and yet they recommend replacing this expensive fuel line every five years?? I understand that there are Coast Guard regs. but I’m wondering why/what the difference is between the two? All of my vehicles have never had issues and that’s pretty much all we have to choose from up here in my neck of the woods.

14. Member
    My boat/Mercury outboard came with black rubber hose fuel line, I replaced it a couple years ago with the same type. When I replaced it it was still in good condition even though it was about 15 years old. I think the black A1 rated hose is better than the grey type hose.

3EA9AF9C-37EB-4961-BFCA-CAB16843C451.jpeg
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay