Smartcraft gauge install?

2010 90 HP Optimax Serial #1B803508
    Trying to install Smartcraft gauge part #79-89221K19. When I plug the gauge into the diagnostic port and push the mode button it flashes nonE. The manual says that means "the gauge doesn't see any engine computers, check for bad wiring or proper amount of terminator resistors". I have checked all the fuses and they are all good and I don't see any wiring problems, what terminator resistors is it referring to? Also I am going to replace the speedometer with the Smartcraft gauge do I need to plug the line that comes off of the speedometer or can I just leave it open?

2. Member
    Anyone?

3. Member
    Why are you plugging your Smartcraft gauge into the diagnostic port? It should be connected to the Smartcraft connector on your engine.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Member
    It's the connector that you pull the plug out and the cable to the gauge plugs into. I thought the smartcraft and diagnostic connector was the same thing.
    Last edited by bassfisher444; 03-21-2020 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    It's the connector that you pull the plug out and the cable to the guage plugs into. I thought the smartcraft and diagnostic connector was the same thing.
    There are two different connectors.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

6. Member
    Are both connectors the same? I am pretty sure I am plugged into the right one because when I pull the fuse for the smartcraft the gauge goes off.

7. Member
    Got it figured out, I tried the longer cable that I ordered and it works like its supposed to. I found out my engine only has 132 hours on it.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    This problem was due to the lack of a Smartcraft Network (which includes Terminating Resistors). Once that was installed, the instrument and the engine could communicate properly.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    So the longer cable has the resistors in it already?

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you are speaking of a blue cable with yellow bands at each end: Yes.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor