Bring us closer to God-- Psalm 51b

This is based on Psalm 51b, what a dandy. The Holy Spirit writes through His servant David. God tells us the proper attitude toward worship and how to lead our lives. God cares most about the heart:

Psalm 51:14-17

.14Save me from bloodguilt, O God, you who are God my Savior, and my tongue will sing of your righteousness.
    O Lord, open my lips,
    and my mouth will declare your praise.
    16You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it; you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings.
    The sacrifices of
    God, are b a broken spirit;
    a broken and contrite heart
    you, God, will not despise.

V14-15. David murdered and adultered, drenched in 'bloodguilt'. The Holy Spirit sent the prophet Nathan to David to call him back to repentance. God restored him to faith. David realized how wicked he was AND how merciful God is. David found only God could rescue him from the guilt and punishment of his sins. Only God could give him a heart filled with praise for God's mercy.

So, nothing we've done sinks to David's sins? In God's sight there is no distance at all between David's 'biggest sin" and our 'littlest' one.

In the sight of God, we are all outlaws, who have been redeemed by the living, sufferiing, dying and rising of Jesus. We Christians have been brought to life spiritually and can then recognize the greatness of God's love for us. We are glad to sing the praises of our Savior with words and with our lifestyle. We worship Him 'in spirit and in truth.'

V16-17. Previously, David fooled himself that everything was fine spiritually by going through the motions and acting 'religious.' He was defiling holy forms of worship. God cares little for our outward pious looks--He wishes to see a heart emptied of self-righteousness, so that He may fill us with the righteousness of Christ.

That righteousness earned for us by Christ's blood--wrapped around us like a white robe, by faith.

When we abandon self-glory, and seek God's glory, then the lowliest, simplest, quietest act of worship resounds with thunderous praise to God, in the presence of the angels in Heaven (even if no one on earth notices).

Such a heart sees God redeeming spiritual beggars. We respond with thanksgiving and praise. God just keeps on pouring out His mercies--they are new every morning.

Last edited by msethsmile; 03-19-2020 at 03:16 PM.

2. Member
    Thank you..

3. Member
    Excellent Psalm