Thread: Boat Ride

Boat Ride

I currently have a 2012 Z6 and it is a good little boat. My wife has some back issues from a previous car wreck and it is not so good for her when the water starts to get rough. We took a demo ride in a Z20 on Guntersville during the classic and the water was starting to get rough but the ride was awesome.

The problem is that the Z20 is about a foot longer than my garage. How much different is the ride between a Z17 (Z6) and the Z19? Would the Z19 ride be comparable with the Z20?

Looking for some thoughts.

Thanks!

2. Member
    Sorry, can’t compare z19 vs z20 as I’ve never been in a z20, but the ride in my z19 is great. Does fine in choppy water and handles really rough water with ease when I slow down and drive correctly.
    “Without uncompromising faith, no miracle can ever occur.” - Stan Kellner

3. Dogfish_Jones
    I came out of a 2015 Z7 (Z18 now) to a Z20 and it was two different rides. The Z20 rides like it is running on melted butter where on the Z7 you could feel most waves and forbid a cross wave.
    But I did move up from a 150 to a 250 which does make another huge difference. I remember last year on Guntersville I was rocked and beaten and bruised from all the waves in a two day tournament in my Z7. I will see and feel the difference this coming weekend as we are again at Guntersville for our club tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsobt View Post
    The problem is that the Z20 is about a foot longer than my garage.
    Looking for some thoughts.

Thanks!

Pending how your garage is made you might be able to install a bump out. If your not familiar with a bump out just google garage bump out and look at images.

There is a difference but I cannot comment as to how much. Even between the z20 and 21 the ride on the z21 is a little better just because of the extra length.

Z19 will be far superior to what you have now.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

to be completely honest going back 35 years my first boat was 16 ft long and threw the years I have jumped up I currently have a Z 21 I just bought sorry to say the longer the boat the better the ride its just that simple and don't let anyone bull crap you other wise

7. Member
    I have a 2019 Z19 and the ride is great. And i personally feel the ride in any boat is just as good as the driver. Like mentioned early if you slow down and drive correctly the ride will be much better.

8. Member
    Thanks for the input guys!

9. Member
    Got a Z6, had a ride in a Z19 - major difference,19 is much smoother (bigger engine and longer boat). I'll just say I'm seriously considering a Z19 for my next boat (it was a single day's fishing)
    Nitro Z6 Optimax115 Elite HDI5 Bow 5x Pro Console

10. Member
    I just purchased a z19 switching the ultrex to 36 volt and upgraded graph sizes. Should be able to pick it up next week. From talking to the dealer and other folks that have one. I dont think I will be disappointed. Everyone says the boat will ride great for a 19 foot boat.

11. Member
    The z 20 is better then all of them, stay in a z 20

12. Member
    I own a 2019 Z19 and have ridden in Z8, Z9, Z20, Z21. I don't notice that much difference honestly. The beams are all basically the same so the improvement you get from a foot of length will only be noticeable in rough conditions IMO

13. Dogfish_Jones
    Quote Originally Posted by KC_Bass_Fanatic View Post
    I own a 2019 Z19 and have ridden in Z8, Z9, Z20, Z21. I don't notice that much difference honestly. The beams are all basically the same so the improvement you get from a foot of length will only be noticeable in rough conditions IMO
    Huge difference going from a Z7 to a Z20...HUGE!
    Mind you the OP is looking at moving up from a Z6, that will be an even bigger difference.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogfish_Jones View Post
    Huge difference going from a Z7 to a Z20...HUGE!
    Mind you the OP is looking at moving up from a Z6, that will be an even bigger difference.
    The beams are exactly the same and the length difference is <1ft. Other than hull design changes w/ the newer boats, I can't imagine what would make it such a huge difference. I'm not doubting you, and I have no experience w/ the Z7 - but in theory this makes no sense. In general, a foot of length is more about storage options and layout than ride. Oh, and the ability to charge another $10k per foot by the manufacturers because they understand that bass fishermen are HP junkies. The beam is the primary factor when considering ride not length. Length factors, but isn't the primary factor on a bass boat hull.

In my experience in many, many boats over 19', there's very little difference. I have a Z19 and the dang thing rides like it's on rails in anything but the roughest water up to 65mph.

15. Dogfish_Jones
    Quote Originally Posted by KC_Bass_Fanatic View Post
    The beams are exactly the same and the length difference is <1ft. Other than hull design changes w/ the newer boats, I can't imagine what would make it such a huge difference. I'm not doubting you, and I have no experience w/ the Z7 - but in theory this makes no sense. In general, a foot of length is more about storage options and layout than ride. Oh, and the ability to charge another $10k per foot by the manufacturers because they understand that bass fishermen are HP junkies. The beam is the primary factor when considering ride not length. Length factors, but isn't the primary factor on a bass boat hull.

In my experience in many, many boats over 19', there's very little difference. I have a Z19 and the dang thing rides like it's on rails in anything but the roughest water up to 65mph.
    I came from a 2015 Z7 to a 2020 Z20, it is a HUGE difference in the ride. Much smoother and it takes the waves 100% better.