Doing carpet for the first time.

Hey all I found something to keep myself occupied during this corona virus, replacing my boat carpeting lol. This is on my 1987 champion 176 and I’d guess some of this is original. There seems to be a a lot of backing getting stuck when I pull it off. How clean do I need to get these lids to be able to glue the new stuff down? Never done this before. Thanks 65038A25-1126-4C82-898B-C847E47254DC.jpeg

here is one I’ve sanded vs one I haven’t. Thanks

2. Member
    I'm in the middle of a recarpet project myself. Mine isn't that bad, but that still seems like a lot of residue left. I used a oscillating tool with a scraping blade and professional Goof Off to get mine clean. I took mine all the way down to the metal.

I'd do a pass with just the oscillating tool, then spray with Goof Off, let it soak in then additional passes as needed.
    Last edited by mastergun; 03-19-2020 at 09:14 PM.

3. Member
    Gotcha. Ya mine is fiberglass down below as a base. I’ve been spraying down brake cleaning then using an ocilating tool and following up a with a sander

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eldergage View Post
    Hey all I found something to keep myself occupied during this corona virus, replacing my boat carpeting lol. This is on my 1987 champion 176 and I’d guess some of this is original. There seems to be a a lot of backing getting stuck when I pull it off. How clean do I need to get these lids to be able to glue the new stuff down? Never done this before. Thanks 65038A25-1126-4C82-898B-C847E47254DC.jpeg

here is one I’ve sanded vs one I haven’t. Thanks
    Go to Home Depot and get a gallon of Industrial Strenth Goof Off. Soak the carpet with it and wait 5-10 minutes and you will pull everything right up On stubborn spots just pour some on the spot and scrape it up with a hard plastic scraper, comes right up. When you get it all up just wipe the area down with the Goof Off and it will evaporate like acetone but takes a little longer (probably about 5 minutes. Make sure you use Professional Strenth Goof Off, if you use Goo Gone you will have a mess.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STRETCH1 View Post
    Go to Home Depot and get a gallon of Industrial Strenth Goof Off. Soak the carpet with it and wait 5-10 minutes and you will pull everything right up On stubborn spots just pour some on the spot and scrape it up with a hard plastic scraper, comes right up. When you get it all up just wipe the area down with the Goof Off and it will evaporate like acetone but takes a little longer (probably about 5 minutes. Make sure you use Professional Strenth Goof Off, if you use Goo Gone you will have a mess.
    STRETCH1 thank you for the tips. Holy cow you just made my old carpet removal wayyyyyyy easier. Can’t thank you enough !!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STRETCH1 View Post
    Corrected my post. I used the professional Goof Off, not Goo Gone.

7. Banned
    I have a video from years back spraying goof off on. Works amazing but gets expensive.

8. Member
    I put on a respirator and use a flap disc on a grinder. Works great and very fast.

9. Member
    Something I found useful when doing my carpet a few years ago, was the use of a small hand plane to scrape smaller, hard to remove spots adhering to the FG.

10. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I used a scraper that has a 4" razor blade on it about 12" long handle and it took it off nice and fast with no messy clean up,just change blades when not getting it done. And most important when you start doing the carpet is make sure you have plenty of good blades and a carpet knife they work great...
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

11. Member
    You have to get all the carpet/backing off but you don't necessarily have to get every little spot of the old adhesive off especially if you're going to use Weldwood contact cement.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    You have to get all the carpet/backing off but you don't necessarily have to get every little spot of the old adhesive off especially if you're going to use Weldwood contact cement.
    i started using a scraper blade for my sawzall works great so far. I’m getting a lot more off
    and yes I am using weldwood for the new carpet. EBBF674B-6708-4571-884E-FF83B99E622F.jpeg

13. Member
    After an agonizing time trying to scrape mine off and still not getting the results I wanted, I decided to try something else.

I found that if you put some gasoline in a spray bottle, and lightly coat the residue, give it about 5 minutes and it just slides right off with a scraper.

The panels are as clean as when they are new.

Make sure you're use caution, and just do small areas at a time. I did one panel/area at a time, and when I was done with it I washed it with soap and water to get rid of the gas residue.

It turned a 2 day job with inferior results into a 4 hour job with perfect results.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________

2003 Bass Tracker PT185
    Lowrance Elite 9TI X2
    90 HP Mercury ELPTO
    Laser II Prop 20P

14. Member
    And just for what it's worth...pay special attention to the direction of the grain in your new carpet. I sloped all of mine to the back. If one panel is different, it looks like chit. Buy wider and longer than you think and upgrade one level nicer than planned!
    90 Shadow 20' Mod V w/ 200 Merc - Total resto and loving it!
    Here's my build from cap-off to boat in the water.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=336645

15. Member
    I did two boats that turned out good but the last two I paid a pro $1000 to do the job. It was just too much work for an old man.

16. Member
    $1000 is a good price for a full boat recarpeting. I wouldn't do one for that amount.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________

2003 Bass Tracker PT185
    Lowrance Elite 9TI X2
    90 HP Mercury ELPTO
    Laser II Prop 20P

17. Member
    I recently completed my carpet install. I used a tool similar to what twitch was talking about and did not use any liquid remover. You want to get the surface as smooth as possible but it doesn't have to be perfect. Around hatch openings i used a wire brush for stubborn glue. I used weldwood all weather carpet adhesive and contact cement around the hatch openings and lid edges.