Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Before going ANY further: Please confirm WHERE you are obtaining these faults.

Also, please VERIFY for EXACT verbiage the fault involving OIL. I strongly suspect that it is not a fault for the ENGINE mounted oil tank (rather a GHOST fault for a remote oil tank sensor/harness that may not even exist).

Also please verify the "TPI RANGE HI" for EXACT verbiage.

Finally: PRECISELY what wires were hooked together that SHOULD NOT have been? This is extremely important as there are a couple wires here that can damage the 5V "H-Bridge" in the PCM, resulting in 5V sensor faults and a rough idle (followed by a dead 5V circuit).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2. Member
    These are the faults I’m getting through a ddt. Some of these are ghost so they haven’t previously been mentioned.
    rsvr oil lo
    breakin str
    pitot ckt lo
    oil lvl ckt hi
    fuel lvl ckt hi
    tpi1 range hi
    sea top ckt hi

the motor was supposedly put in break in because the previous owner burnt a piston and had it replaced and new rings throughout. I would contact the mechanic that performed the work but he passed away so I can’t verify what was done.

Tpi volt output readings are coming from a ddt.

the wires that were potentially together are
    red with blue stripe - gray with blue stripe
    dark blue - white with orange stripe
    purple - black with orange stripe
    white - light blue with black stripe
    blue - brown with white stripe

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tbone7622
    purple - black with orange stripe
    white - light blue with black stripe
    blue - brown with white stripe
    The RED text almost certainly fried the 5V Ground H-Bridge in the PCM, as it fed 12V+ power to the 5V Ground circuit.

The remaining two potentially could have damaged the Can-P circuit in the PCM.

Suggest sending it off to have it checked and/or repaired (try Simon Motorsports), unless you're ready to purchase another one.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    I was suspecting pcm but have been told there wasn’t a good way locally to check it. I will contact Simon and see what they tell me. At the moment I’m not ready to buy a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by tbone7622 View Post
    I was suspecting pcm but have been told there wasn’t a good way locally to check it. I will contact Simon and see what they tell me. At the moment I’m not ready to buy a new one.
    There is a way to check operation of the 5 volts power and ground circuits takes less than 10 minutes to do so. Any certified tech in these systems should be able to do so, anytime there is high volts on the signal circuit the ground side should be tested, dead give away when multiple sensor circuits are high
    Thank You Leon Pugh

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    There are ohms tests that can be performed (your tech may not have the specs, but Merc Technical Support can provide them if needed).

7. Member
    ok don, just got the pcm back from simon. they repaired a burnt lead plug b, pin 1 and a function chip. they also noted that i should check all coils before reinstalling. in doing this i have found that all six are aftermarket and test the same but they dont show the same results that are in the manual for a coil ohms test. should this be a concern?

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I would definitely NOT recommend using aftermarket coils. I have seen several cases where the resistance values varied enough to cause problems (as well as at least one case where the coil's OUTPUT spark was nowhere near what the OEM coil is).

9. Member
    update. im starting to feel like im chasing my tail on this one, get one thing fixed and something else shows up. seems that all the running issues have been settled with the pcm repair. idles good takes throttle as it should but now after reinstalling the pcm and running it i have two completely different fault codes. there was no audible alarms but on the ddt im getting tpi1 no adapt( verified tpi at idle and wot to be within spec and changing smoothly) also main power relay output. do you guys have any ideas?

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    TPI no adapt occurs when the throttle position sensor is not AT THE IDLE POSITION when the key is turned ON. Very critical that throttle always return to the idle stop, and NEVER apply throttle unless the engine is running, is IN GEAR, and is going somewhere in the water.

MPR Output: Can occur due to poor connections, weak battery, bad MPR, etc.

11. Member
    Thanks don. I’ll look into that

12. Member
    just wanted to thank everyone for their input in helping me get this thing figured out and running like its supposed to. i havent yet put it on the water but running on the hose it seems to be performing as it should.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12