Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsktball55 View Post
    Man some of you have a different idea of bottom shelf than I do. When I think of bottom shelf, I think of the stuff I drank in college, and then I gag and shiver a little bit. Jack, and Jim were high class back then.
    Would that be Beam? I can’t even look at it since an excursion with a ditch on my 18th birthday.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    Angels Envy is available in Maine this winter. Go treat yourself. There are very few bottles available in the Bangor area but there are still some around
    I see it at Damon's, Stompers, and even Trade Winds pretty regular. Haven't tried it yet. It's flavored with vanilla or something, isn't it? My buddy loves it but told me I should sample some of his before committing to a bottle. Then his girlfriend put him on some stupid diet where he has to cleanse for a few weeks so no booze and there's no reason to get together if we ain't drinkin'.

3. Member
    It was not available in Maine until late this fall. You had to go to New Hampshire to get it before that. Limited stock in the state. It is not flavored at all! It is aged for at least 6 years and then they finish there bourbon in ruby port wine casks, which adds subtly distinct flavor nuances that enhance the whiskey without challenging it. There port finishing process lasts between three to six months, depending on taste. It is smooth as silk!

4. Member
    Anybody see any I W Harper? It was our regular drink in the 70s. Must have been cheap. A couple years back I found a few bottles again but it was priced like mid to top shelf. Just curious.

5. Member
    I am not much of a whiskey man but I decided to try a glass off Proper 12 on ice a few weeks ago. I was surprised at how much I liked it.

6. Member
    Digging Longbranch lately.

7. Member
    Man, I don't know if I've ever seen anything mentioned here on the bottom shelf or "rail" at a bar here in Wisconsin. Here, Kessler is King. My neighbor also recently turned me on to Stephen Foster rye whiskey. I think I picked up a liter bottle at the liquor store for when he stops by and it was about $12.

8. Member
    Wild Turkey 101. Best for the money.

Hard liquor is extremely expensive in Vietnam. There is a 100% tariff on liquor so anything that I normally drink in the US is in the $45-60 range here. This stuff is from India and it's actually decent for sipping. I go through a bottle a week. It's the equivalent of $6.00 here. I don't know if it is available in the US.

https://thewhiskypedia.com/imperial-blue-whisky

Beer is dirt cheap, though. Tiger and Heineken are both around $12.00 a case.
    Last edited by Stein; 03-19-2020 at 07:18 AM.

It was not available in Maine until late this fall. You had to go to New Hampshire to get it before that. Limited stock in the state. It is not flavored at all! It is aged for at least 6 years and then they finish there bourbon in ruby port wine casks, which adds subtly distinct flavor nuances that enhance the whiskey without challenging it. There port finishing process lasts between three to six months, depending on taste. It is smooth as silk!
    Hard to get in Ohio, you usually have to wait in line the day it comes in.

Kesslers and Squirt

12. Member
    Benchmark. The 1.75 liter bottle is $18. Been drinking it since the 70's. Drank enough to float a battleship.

13. Member
    It was not available in Maine until late this fall. You had to go to New Hampshire to get it before that. Limited stock in the state. !
    I forgot to add that he bought 2 cases out of state last year because he couldn't get it locally and then a couple weeks later I sent him a pic from Damon's asking if this was the stuff he liked so much. It's usually cheaper out of state so not like he got a bad deal or anything

14. Banned
    Blantons bourbon

15. Member
    How much has the definition of "bottom shelf" changed over the years, say 30-40? My dad was a sales rep for industrial fuel oil back when salesmen pressed the flesh and they always gave gifts to the clients. One area of our basement was just cases of Dewars, Old Grand Dad, Jim Beam, Cutty Sark, etc. direct from the Portsmouth liquor store. It helped that the corporate office was in Portsmouth too. I always assumed he was giving good stuff. Maybe it was considered good at that time(?) It seems like the whiskey and beer biz have both changed since then.

16. Member
    Military Blend

17. Member
    We’ve done blind taste tests with several bourbons - Evan Williams is consistently a strong performer. Averages #2. There has not been a consistent #1.

Note: not all testers were bourbon drinkers so heavier flavored samples didn’t score as well.
    Sam

2022 Falcon F20 TE Hybrid - 250 Mercury Pro XS
    Not a pro - barely an average Joe!

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    How much has the definition of "bottom shelf" changed over the years, say 30-40? My dad was a sales rep for industrial fuel oil back when salesmen pressed the flesh and they always gave gifts to the clients. One area of our basement was just cases of Dewars, Old Grand Dad, Jim Beam, Cutty Sark, etc. direct from the Portsmouth liquor store. It helped that the corporate office was in Portsmouth too. I always assumed he was giving good stuff. Maybe it was considered good at that time(?) It seems like the whiskey and beer biz have both changed since then.
    I found Dewars to be a very good well scotch, back when I was going out.

19. Member
    I did a blind taste test with several higher end brands and Evan Williams was consistently mistakenly for a top shelf.

Canadian Mist. $23.75 per half gallon. Love me a Misty Zero. Fill my big yeti style cup 3/4 full of ice, then fill just above the cupholder part with Canadian Mist and top off with Coke Zero! One will do ya for a nice buzz, 2 will make you talk to yourself. Best thing, have never even got a hint of a headache.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLg...p5PdhSA9Dw9cRA

02 Triton TR 18
    02 Evinrude 150
    Garmin Striker Plus 9SV

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast