Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Banned
    I wonder what lessons will be learned when this is all over? I could see quarantine centers being built across the country, medical stockpiles, quicker action on border shutdowns, etc. Not to mention the political implications with China.

Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    I wonder what lessons will be learned when this is all over? I could see quarantine centers being built across the country, medical stockpiles, quicker action on border shutdowns, etc. Not to mention the political implications with China.

I pray we learn better how to proceed in the future. Chaos and panic is not a good model. I would love to see a Virus Czar giving daily updates at the same time each day. We need direct from the trenches type updates to citizens and remove any possible agenda.

3. Member
    people aren't being tested, that's a real issue right now. This article in today's AJC (local atlanta paper) about a county in SW GA where they have 300 suspected cases, 69 of which are in the hospital, and they are still waiting for tests and/or test results. Emory, the big hospital here, also says in the article they will not announce upcoming deaths due to COVID......why????

https://www.ajc.com/news/state--regi...9cbZ7XSeyG49I/

Quote Originally Posted by smbass77 View Post
    people aren't being tested, that's a real issue right now. This article in today's AJC (local atlanta paper) about a county in SW GA where they have 300 suspected cases, 69 of which are in the hospital, and they are still waiting for tests and/or test results. Emory, the big hospital here, also says in the article they will not announce upcoming deaths due to COVID......why????

https://www.ajc.com/news/state--regi...9cbZ7XSeyG49I/

Meanwhile per reports 3 entire NBA teams have been tested.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Meanwhile per reports 3 entire NBA teams have been tested.
    crazy isnt it? My county set up drive through testing but since they don't have many tests it's only for first responders and medical professionals. They are sending others with symptoms to get lung scans.

A few days ago I joked about this "cold"......I can promise you after my experience yesterday I'm taking it extremely serious.

6. Member
    What makes this test different than a flu test? My limited understanding is that it is taken the same way as a flu test via nose swab. Is it the reading of the test? Is it the solution to separate the virus from the swab?
    Last edited by Duece22; 03-19-2020 at 12:21 PM.

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duece22 View Post
    What makes this test different than a flu test? My limited understanding is that it is taken the same way as a flu test via nose swab. Is it the reading of the test? Is it the solution to separate the virus from the swab?
    It’s just a matter of not even knowing about the disease several months ago to ramping up to figure out how to test for it and making enough tests. Some of the things needed to perform the test are in short supply and they are contacting medical research facilities to get what they have on hand because the manufacturers are swamped. The tests haven’t been optimized to yes/no yet so it takes some training to analyze them.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    It’s just a matter of not even knowing about the disease several months ago to ramping up to figure out how to test for it and making enough tests. Some of the things needed to perform the test are in short supply and they are contacting medical research facilities to get what they have on hand because the manufacturers are swamped. The tests haven’t been optimized to yes/no yet so it takes some training to analyze them.
    What's in short supply though? It is just a nasal and throat swab. It gets put into a solution to separate the virus.

9. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    What's in short supply though? It is just a nasal and throat swab. It gets put into a solution to separate the virus.
    Having the virus in solution doesn’t do anything. You can’t just look at the solution and see the virus. The test looks for the RNA to identify the virus and the materials needed to isolate that are in short supply. https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/10/...virus-testing/
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

11. Member
    Governor DeWine has activated 300 Ohio National Guard to assist with food distribution. He also asked everyone to fly their American and state flags to show that we are in this together and will beat it together.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

12. Member
    Today's update. One death is being investigated as coronavirus related. If confirmed it would be the first in Ohio.

There are 43 females with coronavirus and 76 males, Ohio Department of Health Director Amy Acton said.

The age range is 2 to 91, with a median age of 49.

--Voltaire

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Having the virus in solution doesn’t do anything. You can’t just look at the solution and see the virus. The test looks for the RNA to identify the virus and the materials needed to isolate that are in short supply. https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/10/...virus-testing/
    Good info!

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JHelms View Post
    Today's update. One death is being investigated as coronavirus related. If confirmed it would be the first in Ohio.

There are 43 females with coronavirus and 76 males, Ohio Department of Health Director Amy Acton said.

The age range is 2 to 91, with a median age of 49.
    Do you have any info on underlying health conditions and the age of the person that died? If its anything like the cruise line, then younger people will show more symptoms- but almost all are fine unless they had other issues.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    Do you have any info on underlying health conditions and the age of the person that died? If its anything like the cruise line, then younger people will show more symptoms- but almost all are fine unless they had other issues.
    Based on today's press briefing, here is the information you asked about. He was 76.

"We have now entered a new phase of our battle against the coronavirus," DeWine said. "Yesterday, Ohio had its first death from the coronavirus.It was someone who Lt. Gov. (Jon) Husted and I knew very well. He was very well respected by everyone who knew him. All of us extend our deepest sympathy."
    He identified the state's first death as Lucas County attorney Mark Wagoner, Sr., who DeWine said he knew well.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/new...te/2883297001/

--Voltaire

16. Member
    Here is the update from Governor DeWine for Ohio for March 20, 2020:

There are 169 confirmed cases with onset dates ranging from Feb. 7 to March 18 with age ranges from 1 to 91 years. The median is 49 years of age. There are 69 females and 100 males, 39 hospitalizations and one death as of Friday.

Senior citizen centers were ordered closed.

He also issued a stern warning to businesses:

DeWine said he continues to receive information about noncompliant businesses and thanked businesses that are following the orders, directives and recommendations to slow the spread of the new coronavirus.

"Throughout this crisis, I have tried to balance the safety of the people of Ohio, but also try to achieve the continuation of essential services to keep our economy moving," he said. "Let me make it clear: I will err on the side of protecting people. The bad behavior, the reckless behavior, must stop. The protection of life is the most important obligation that I have."

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/new...te/2883297001/

--Voltaire

17. Member
    Today's update from Gov. DeWine:

The number of confirmed coronavirus cases Saturday afternoon increased to 247, with three people dead, including one in Cuyahoga County. As of Saturday, the illness’ onset ranges from Feb. 7 to March 19. The ages rage from 1 to 91 years old, with the average median age of 51 years.

Gov. Mike DeWine said, during his Saturday afternoon briefing, pointed out to modeling reported in the New York Times about how severe the outcomes will be if there are no preventative measures. “We have announced a number of measures,” he said. “We will have more measures.” Those measures could be announced Sunday, he said.

What people do will determine how many people die, he said.

33 counties have confirmed cases.
    https://www.cleveland.com/coronaviru...rus-cases.html

https://www.cleveland.com/open/2020/...-briefing.html

--Voltaire

18. Member
    Today Gov. DeWine issued a 23 page stay at home order for all individuals and businesses except those deemed essential. Violation is a 2nd degree misdemeanor and is enforceable by boards of health and the police. It will be in effect until April 6th. He release updated numbers but emphasized that testing in Ohio is limited and prioritized.

The number of confirmed coronavirus in Ohio has increased to 351 with 83 hospitalized, according new state data. The number of Ohio counties reporting positive cases grew from 33 to 40 compared to a day ago. The number of cases in Cuyahoga County grew from 92 to 125. No new deaths are reported.

https://www.cleveland.com/healthfit/...-briefing.html

--Voltaire

EB7E81D5-FA07-468D-8523-1EE706ABFC34.jpeg
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

20. Member
    Monday's Ohio update from the governor:

Ohio’s coronavirus death toll has hit six. There are 442 confirmed cases. Of those 442 cases, 104 have been hospitalized. Forty-six counties in Ohio had a confirmed case (out of 88 counties). The Governor emphasized that testing is VERY limited because of availability and prioritized as to health care workers.

He also ordered restrictions on day care with priority given to parents of children who are heath care workers and first responders.

https://www.cleveland.com/coronaviru...-march-23.html

--Voltaire

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast