Thread: Scholarship

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Scholarship

I guess the thread title speaks for itself.

Bart Ehrman is a self proclaimed agnostic and graduate of the Princeton Theological Seminary. Ever notice how atheists and agnostics always flock to seminaries and religion departments at major colleges. Go figure. A total waste of time--they should be in the pulpit!

Here's a quote from Bart during an NPR interview:

EHRMAN: "Well, what I argue in the book is that during his lifetime, Jesus himself didn't call himself God and didn't consider himself God and that none of his disciples had any inkling at all that he was God. The way it works is that you do find Jesus calling himself God in the Gospel of John, our last Gospel. Jesus says things like: Before Abraham was, I am, and I and the father are one, and if you've seen me, you've see the father. These are all statements that you find only in the Gospel of John..." (please start deleting your book of John, I guess)

Ehrman states that the miracles cannot be historically proven. 5000 eye witnesses to one miracle is not enough. (5001 being the threshold?) Mark this: The #1 purpose of any miracle is to point to Christ's divinity.

So, is the resurrection just another would be miracle, made up like Jesus's divinity?

1 Cor 15:13ff

"13 If there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised.14 And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith.15 More than that, we are then found to be false witnesses about God, for we have testified about God that he raised Christ from the dead. But he did not raise him if in fact the dead are not raised.16 For if the dead are not raised, then Christ has not been raised either.17 And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins."

Kirk to Kahn: "Kahn, I'm laughing at the superior intellect."
    Last edited by msethsmile; 03-18-2020 at 05:26 PM.

2. Member
    If you are gonna slam him at least give him the credit due. Wheaton College, Moody bible institute...…………………..I am sure you have never heard of his mentor Bruce Metzger . LOL

Your post is like this : Keep the uneducated , uneducated. Then add a few Ad hominem's to make your point.

have a good evening.

3. Member
    Ms ..…………...you stated above the following:

"Ehrman states that the miracles cannot be historically proven. 5000 eye witnesses to one miracle is not enough. (5001 being the threshold?) Mark this: The #1 purpose of any miracle is to point to Christ's divinity."

My freind , they can not be historically "proven". No one on earth now was present when those miracles occurred.

Ehrman doesn't say it didn't happen, he doesn't say Jesus didn't walk on the earth (actually he says Jesus did walk on earth), he doesn't say Jesus' didn't perform miracles...........He said they couldn't be proven BECAUSE................OUR ANCIENT TEXT ARE ALL OVER THE PLACE...........CHANGES, REVISIONS, OMMISIONS ECT.

try to understand / comprehend what he is saying...................

As I posted in another thread.................Erhman is not concerned with my "faith", my "theology" nor yours................his studies, along with all textual critics is to discover the accuracy of the text they examine.

Last edited by godsdozer; 03-18-2020 at 07:57 PM.

4. Member
    The rightous will live by faith............................................. .Not the historical accuracy of a text that has been tampered with for centuries.

5. Member
    So many people are full of their "religion" that they cant see the forest because of the trees.

6. Member
    Like I said in another recent thread........................our biblical translations over the years have been improved. We have by Gods grace recovered earlier manuscripts which help clean up some of the early errors. Why do you think we have had revisions of our bibles over the last 200 years (and longer) ? We have had revisions because of our discoveries of ancient copies that are earlier than those we had. We now know because of the works of the Erhmans and his peers over the that 100 years.

7. Member
    I have been praying to God over the last couple of decades that we might discover an autograph (original manuscript)………..what a joy to the world that would be.

8. Member
    double post . ooops

9. Member
    Why do you slam Wheaton College and Moody Bible Institute? They either graduated a known agnostic OR they agree with him. Ufda.

Dozer uses as his guide an self admitted agnostic. What could go wrong? Agnosticism just might affect his teachings. Ya think?

Dozer claims I want the uneducated kept uneducated. This is the exact same ploy the devil (serpent) used in the Garden against Adam and Eve. The first couple did get their horizons widened--in a bad way. Its called death (physical and spiritual). Do I have to put my hand in a brood of vipers to know its a bad idea?

Speaking of education, the Great Commission (Mt 28:20) "...make disciples of all nations...teaching them..." Teaching/educating what? The Gospel. Mark this, only the Gospel can build the Church. Period. Here's a list of Dozer's threads (other than recently). I left one out because I wasn't sure.: "Second Temple Judism, How do you read the Bible, Last Hour, Its about time, The day, Death what does it mean, Creeds Denominations Dogma, Soon, Inspiration what does it mean."

Trivia question: Which thread(s) is explicitly about the Gospel, the lone way to build the Church? Answer : Zip, zero, nada. There's Dozer's version of education.

The job of a shepherd is to feed and to fend. While I prefer to feed--proclaim gospel, sometimes you have to defend--like now.

"Woe to those who call evil good and good evil." Is 5:20
    Last edited by msethsmile; 03-19-2020 at 09:02 AM.

10. Member
    LOL

11. Member
    The thread honoring the agnostic "educator" Ehrman entitled (misspelled) "Scholorship" is completely appropriate. I did literally laugh. Its perfect. Ya can't make this stuff up. True comedy.

Which one of Dozer's 9-10 listed threads has a Gospel theme? Name it. Anybody? Dozer? I only need one.

Ehrman, "Jesus himself didn't call himself God and didn't consider himself God..." That's what we need Dozer, more education, keep on shoveling it.

I hate to quote from a dismissed book (according to Ehrman) but here goes, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." John 14:6. In all the "I am" statements Jesus is calling himself God. "I am" statements referring to the burning bush. The Jews knew exactly what He was claiming--and tried to kill him.
    Last edited by msethsmile; 03-19-2020 at 10:19 AM.

12. Member
    Ehrman has several degrees from various institutions. The most learned people in Christ's day and at that locale were the Pharisees. They knew Scripture (our Old Testament) up, down and sideways. Yet, they were not chosen to be Disciples or Apostles. They lacked the qualification of those jobs: faith. On the other hand, most of Disciples and Apostles were not educated at all (Paul an exception) in spiritual matters. Yet, they qualified to be taught and to teach also. They had faith.

Fast forward 2000 years. Ehrman has all the letters behind his name. He is proud to be an agnostic. It is not an ad hominem attack to say he simply is not qualified to teach in a faith based setting. He cannot interpret Scripture correctly except through the eyes of faith (which he proudly doesn't have). He is disqualified from teaching/educating in a faith setting.

Psaalm 111:10b "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom." Educated or not, he is disqualified from teaching in a faith setting and not wise (spiritually).
    Last edited by msethsmile; 03-19-2020 at 01:38 PM.

13. Member
    My friend , all of my post regarding the last days, end times, Parousia , kingdom of God, Resurrection, Second appearing ect. are all a part of the Gospel message. Jesus and his apostles talked about it in 1 out of every 4 verses of the New Testament. You seem to take joy making fun of 1/4 of the New Testament gospel message. Keep up the good work !

14. Member
    I dont care if bart is a atheist, agonostic, or christian .....................that makes no difference to me. I am a believer in Jesus and put my faith in Him and in Him alone. I will repeat one more time for some that are slow. Textual Critism is not about "faith" , "religion", "denomination", "liturgy" its about textual examination.

I don't speak greek, I don't read greek or Coptic or Aramaic or any of the other translations found in 5700 or so fragments we have. I have to rely on "educated" people . Maybe you speak greek , I don't know. When it is clear from the fragments there have been deletions and added text within the new testament through the centuries...……...that is something I want to know. Maybe you don't care ? Can we add or delete text from the bible today as they did through the centuries and still call it Gods word in the next century ? Maybe you think that is ok too, I don't.

Textual criticism trys to get to the original text not teach us doctrine. Sorry if you do not understand the difference.

Have a good day.
    Last edited by godsdozer; 03-19-2020 at 03:56 PM.

15. Member
    familiarize yourself with the scriptures...………….

After three days they found him in the temple, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions; and all who heard him were amazed at his understanding and his answers. And when they saw him they were astonished; and his mother said to him "Son, why have you treated us so? Behold, your father and I have been looking for you anxiously." And he said to them, "How is it that you sought me? Did you now know that I must be in my Father's house?" And they did not understand the saying which he spoke to them. And he went down with them and came to Nazareth, and was obedient to them; and his mother kept all these things in her heart. And Jesus increased in wisdom and in stature, and grew in favor with God and man.

Jesus spent many days during his life with those "religious" , "educated" people in a temple and city that was called Sodom and Gomorrah (Revelation 11:8) notice in the above passage Jesus listend to them and asked question.

​You seem afraid of agnostics, athiest ect. Jesus wasnt, and neither am I. \

16. Member
    A classic text for the Gospel message is John 3:16. It doesn't mention end times. Neither does Mark 16:16. While the two teachings are related, Scripture is an organic whole--all teachings are related. That's why heresy never occurs in a vacuum. One false teaching affects other teachings. A little yeast levens the whole loaf. As I said elsewhere, there are only 2 main teachings in Scripture: Law and Gospel. Law--man sinned against God and deserves hell (10 Commandments --which we break). Gospel-- God cannot overlook sin. Someone has to pay. God provides substitutionary atonement in Jesus. His dying on the cross meant He suffered our hell and we get His perfect life and righteousness. We are declared righteous in God's sight. No mention of the end times, just like John 3:16, Mark 16:16, many others--a separate teaching. Your threads typically don't theme the Gospel. Big time red flag.

No one was ever saved for his proper belief in the end times. He is saved by Christ's death. Validated by Christ's resurrection. Thru faith.

As to being 'afraid' of agnostics/atheists: Rom 16:17 "...watch out for those that cause divisions and put obstacles in your way that are contrary to the teaching you have learned. Keep away from them." ------------------Agnosticism is a 'contrary teaching'.
    Last edited by msethsmile; 03-20-2020 at 09:46 AM.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by godsdozer View Post
    familiarize yourself with the scriptures...………….

Jesus spent many days during his life with those "religious" , "educated" people in a temple and city that was called Sodom and Gomorrah (Revelation 11:8) notice in the above passage Jesus listend to them and asked question.

You seem afraid of agnostics, atheist ect. Jesus wasn't, and neither am I.? \

This had been proposed by many that call themselves "professors of theology" how Jesus acquired is knowledge of the books of Moses in attempts to deny his deity; therefore, his many references back to the old testament to support his teachings, which is pure nonsense.

John 14: 11 11Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msethsmile View Post
    A classic text for the Gospel message is John 3:16. It doesn't mention end times. Neither does Mark 16:16. While the two teachings are related, Scripture is an organic whole--all teachings are related. That's why heresy never occurs in a vacuum. One false teaching affects other teachings. A little yeast levens the whole loaf. As I said elsewhere, there are only 2 main teachings in Scripture: Law and Gospel. Law--man sinned against God and deserves hell (10 Commandments --which we break). Gospel-- God cannot overlook sin. Someone has to pay. God provides substitutionary atonement in Jesus. His dying on the cross meant He suffered our hell and we get His perfect life and righteousness. We are declared righteous in God's sight. No mention of the end times, just like John 3:16, Mark 16:16, many others--a separate teaching. Your threads typically don't theme the Gospel. Big time red flag.

No one was ever saved for his proper belief in the end times. He is saved by Christ's death. Validated by Christ's resurrection. Thru faith.

As to being 'afraid' of agnostics/atheists: Rom 16:17 "...watch out for those that cause divisions and put obstacles in your way that are contrary to the teaching you have learned. Keep away from them." ------------------Agnosticism is a 'contrary teaching'.

Rom 16:17 was dealing with false teachers (Judaism ) trying to put obstacles in their way (obedience to the law / torah). You seemed to cut out or not mention verse 20 because it is a eschatological passage ?. Here I will include it:

vs. 20 "The God of peace is about to crush Satan under your feet."

And God did exactly that at His Parousia (second appearing) in 70 AD

You still don't get it...………...Bart isn't my sunday school teacher, pastor, bishop, pope. And he doesn't want to be either. LOL

19. Member
    A classic text for the Gospel can be found here as well.

Gen 9:3 "So the LORD God called out to the man, “Where are you?”

God seeks to find you.

Gen 9:21 "And the LORD God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife, and He clothed them."

God covers our nakedness, and God clothes us with his rightousness. Not because of what Adam and Even have done, but because God is full of Mercy and Grace as can be seen in these two passages.

20. Member
    You seem to have a narrow view of the definition of the word "Gospel" .

Gospel [N] [E]"Glad tidings" or "good news, " from Anglo-Saxon godspell.
    The Old Testament. Good news is proclaimed widely ( 1 Sam 31:9 ; Psalm 96:2-3 ; Isa 40:9 ; 52:7 ), spread rapidly ( 2 Sam 18:19-31 ; 2 Kings 7:9 ; Psalm 68:11 ), and declared and received joyfully ( 2 Sam 1:20 ; Psalm 96:11-12 ; Isa 52:7-9 ; Jer 20:15 ).
    Where the message is gospel for Israelites and based on fact, the news is in every case but one ( Jer 20:15 ) related to God the Savior. Psalm 40:9-10 celebrates his saving help. Kings and armies are scattered by the Almighty ( Psalms 68:11 Psalms 68:14 ). It is he who delivers David from his enemies ( 2 Sam 18:19-31 ). A direct act of God puts the Syrians to flight ( 2 Kings 7:1-9 ); he breaks the Assyrian yoke ( Nahum 1:13 Nahum 1:15 ). Having conquered Babylon by the hand of Cyrus ( Isaiah 41:25 Isaiah 41:27 ), the mighty God returns to Zion ( 40:9-10 ). The peace and salvation announced in Isaiah 52:7 are won by his sovereign power ("Your God reigns!"). "The year of the Lord's favor" brings glad tidings to the afflicted ( 61:1-2 ).
    The explanation for God's saving action lies nowhere but in God himself. In whatever measure Israel has paid for her past sins ( Isa 40:2 ), she remains a sinful people ( 42:25 ; 46:12-13 ). She is saved by divine grace alone ( 55:1-7 ). There being no righteousness to reward, Yahweh Acts to create righteousness in Israel ( 45:8 ; Isaiah 61:3 Isaiah 61:10-11 ). The penalty for sin is exacted not from Israel but from the Servant appointed to stand in her place ( 53:4-12 ). Through the Servant's work, many will be justified ( 53:11 ); those who possess no righteousness ( 43:25-28 ) will be acquitted.
    The joy that attends the gospel finds ultimate expression in the praise of God. "Praise be to the Lord your God!" exclaims Ahimaaz in reporting victory to David ( 2 Sam 18:28 ). The glad tidings of Psalm 68:11-14 are recollected during a festal procession celebrating God's enthronement (cf. Psalm 40:9-10 ). The watchmen of Isaiah 52:7-8 shout for joy over Yahweh's return to Zion. Psalm 96:1-3 summons the whole earth to tell of Yahweh's salvation, to "bless his name" and "declare his glory."
    With the return of the exiles from Babylon, the salvation announced in Isaiah is but partly realized. The foreign nations, far from becoming her fellow worshipers, remain Israel's oppressors. Israel's own unrighteousness was to persist; the Servant appointed to bear her iniquities has not yet appeared. As Isaiah makes clear, the full realization of salvation awaits the dawn of a new age — an age created by the saving God. At the close of the Old Testament, the inauguration of this new age is still awaited.
    The New Testament: Stage One. Except for Galatians 3:8 and Hebrews 4:2, 6, the New Testament restricts gospel terminology to proclamations made during the time of fulfillment, when the salvation promised in the Old Testament is actually accomplished. According to Mark 1:1-4 the gospel "begins" not in the Old Testament but with John the Baptist, in whom Old Testament prophecy is fulfilled. The promised birth of John, Messiah's forerunner, is good news ( Luke 1:19 ). John's own preaching is gospel, too ( Luke 3:18 ): it warns sinners of impending doom and urges them to repent before the axe falls ( 3:7-9 ); it assures the repentant of forgiveness ( 3:3 ) and membership in Messiah's community ( 3:17 ). Messiah's own birth is announced as "good news of great joy" ( 2:10-11 ). According to Romans 1:1-5 the gospel promised in the Old Testament is actually given when Jesus comes (see also Acts 13:32-33 ).
    Jesus' gospel declares: "The time has come. The kingdom of God is near" ( Mark 1:14-15 ). God reigns eternally over all that he has made. Yet his will is not done on earth as it is in heaven; wrong, not right, prevails. But these conditions are not final. With the coming of the kingdom, God's rule will be complete; wrong will be judged and right established. That kingdom is now being inaugurated: "The time has come" ( Mark 1:15a ) for Old Testament promises to be fulfilled. The consummation of the kingdom is no longer a distant prospect; the full realization of God's rule is "near" ( Mark 1:15b ).
    In the synagogue at Nazareth, Jesus reads from Isaiah 61: "the Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor" ( Luke 4:18-19 ). the prophecy is fulfilled in Jesus' own ministry ( 4:21 ). He has come to free the physically infirm, such as the blind ( 4:18 ) and the leprous ( 4:27 ; cf. 7:21 ; 9:6 ). He helps the materially poor, like the widow in Elijah's day ( 4:25-26 ; cf. Luke 6:20-25 Luke 6:30-38 ). Yet the spiritually poor are primarily in view people broken and grieved by misery and poverty, oppression and injustice, suffering and death, national apostasy and personal sin, who in their extremity cry out to God to bring forth justice, bestow his mercy, and establish his kingdom ( Matt 5:3-10 ). Jesus has come to usher in the kingdom, to rescue the lost, to liberate the enslaved, to cure the afflicted, and to forgive the guilty ( Mark 2:5 Mark 2:10 Mark 2:17 ; 10:45 ; Luke 7:48-49 ; 19:10 ).
    The coming of the kingdom is not the effect or the reward of human effort, but God's answer to the human predicament the gift of his favor ( Luke 12:32 ). The explanation for the salvation of the poor lies nowhere but in the gracious God. As the prodigal son recognizes, he is not worthy to be called his father's son; nothing he has done, not even his repentance, accounts for the father's love ( Luke 15:11-32 ). In the parable of Matthew 20:1-16, it is owing to the goodness of the employer that the last workers hired receive a full day's wages. The first debtor in Matthew 18:23-35 has earned nothing but the right to be sold into slavery; instead the king cancels his enormous debt. The publican with nothing to offer God but a confession of sin and a plea for mercy is justified ( Luke 18:13-14 ). The same holds true for the more virtuous among the poor, such as those described in Matthew 5:7-10. Their virtue is real, not imagined. Yet in keeping God's commands, they do not put him in their debt; they are simply doing their duty ( Luke 17:7-10 ). Even the most merciful need divine mercy ( Matt 5:7 ); for even those most zealous to obey God's law are unable to fulfill all its requirements ( Matt 11:28-30 ). Grace depends for its exercise upon the inability of its objects ( Luke 14:12-14 ).
    As the Israelites are a sinful people ( Matt 1:21 ; Luke 1:77 ), Jesus proclaims his gospel to the whole nation ( Matt 4:23 ; 9:35 ; 15:24 ). From the most respectable to the least, all are summoned to submit to God's rule, to come to the banquet he has spread ( Luke 14:16-24 ). Salvation must be received to be experienced ( Mark 10:15 ). While it is a gift that costs nothing, it is also a priceless treasure for which a wise person will sacrifice all else ( Matt 13:44-46 ). "Repent and believe the good news!" commands Jesus ( Mark 1:15 ). The self-righteous and the self-sufficient must be jolted out of their false security and recognize their need of God ( Luke 6:24-26 ). An announcement of liberation ( Luke 4:18-19 ) is good news only to people who are enslaved and know they are. Even the destitute and the afflicted must learn that it is being personally related to God as subject to sovereign and as child to father, which makes one "blessed" ( Matt 5:3-10 ). Even those who are already "poor in spirit" in the sense defined above, are not really "blessed" until they acknowledge the truth of Jesus' claims ( Matt 11:6 ) and commit themselves to a life of obedience on his terms ( Matt 7:21-27 ).
    Throughout Jesus' ministry, the theme of his gospel remains the dawning kingdom of God ( Matt 4:23 ; 24:14 ; Luke 4:43 ; 16:16 ), a message preached almost exclusively to Jews ( Matt 10:5-6 ; 15:24 ). Yet Jesus provides glimpses into what the gospel is to become. He speaks of persons who make sacrifices "for me and for the gospel" ( Mark 8:35 ; 10:29 ). Jesus and the gospel are here associated in the closest way. We are moving toward the time when the Proclaimer of the gospel will become the Proclaimed. Mark 13:10 and Matthew 24:14 foretell the preaching of the gospel of the kingdom to the Gentiles. Mark 14:8-9 indicates that Jesus and his death will be prominent themes in the worldwide gospel. Here we have an indication of the cruciality of Jesus' death both for the provision of salvation announced in his gospel and for the launching of the mission to the Gentiles.
    The New Testament: Stage Two: For the gospel declared after Jesus' resurrection, our main sources are Acts and the letters of Paul.
    God authors the gospel and authorizes its proclamation ( Acts 15:7 ; 16:10 ; Rom 1:1-5 ; Gal 1:11-16 ; 2:7-9 ; 1 Thess 2:2-9 ). God himself is an Evangelist, personally calling persons to salvation through his human agents ( Acts 10:36 ; 2 Col 4:4-6 ; Gal 1:6 ; 2 Thess 2:13-14 ; Rev 10:7 ). Paul's gospel is both a witness to an expression of God's grace ( Acts 20:24 ; Col 1:5-6 ), power ( Rom 1:16 ; 1 Col 1:17-25 ), and glory ( 2 Col 4:4-6 ; 1 Tim 1:11 ). To accept the gospel is to turn to God ( Acts 14:15 ; 1 Thess 1:5-9 ). To disobey the gospel is to be deprived of the knowledge of God ( 2 Thess 1:8 ). To trade the true gospel for a false one is to turn away from God ( Gal 1:6 ).
    Risen from the dead, Christ again evangelizes ( Eph 2:16-17 ) through his representatives ( Rom 15:16-18 ; 1 Col 1:17 ; 9:12-18 ; 2 Tim 1:9-11 ). Moreover, Christ has become the gospel's major theme. This is repeatedly affirmed in Acts and in Paul's writings. Mark describes his whole book as "the gospel about Jesus Christ" ( 1:1 ). Galatians 2:7-9 speaks not of two gospels but of two mission fields; Paul (apostle to the uncircumcised) and Peter (apostle to the circumcised) are both entrusted with the "gospel of Christ" ( Gal 1:7 ), the message ordained for the salvation of Jews and Gentiles alike ( Rom 1:16 ). The "different gospel" of Galatians 1:6-9 and 2 Corinthians 11:4 is not another gospel about Jesus, but a message about "another Jesus" not the real Jesus, but one who exists only in the minds and the message of its advocates. On the other hand, to preach the true Christ is to preach the true gospel, however questionable one's motives ( Php 1:15-18 ); to respond rightly to the gospel is to turn to Christ ( Acts 11:20-21 ; Rom 10:8-17 ; Gal 2:14-16 ).
    The gospel bears witness to every aspect of Christ's saving work, from his birth and public ministry to his second coming and the last judgment. But Christ's death and resurrection, the crucial saving events, are the gospel's most prominent themes. Mark's whole Gospel prepares for Passion Week. In Paul's gospel Jesus' death and resurrection are central ( 1 Cor 15:1-4 ), with the cross at the very center ( 1 Col 1:17-2:5 ; Rom 3:21-26 ; 2 Col 5:14-21 ). Acts proclaims Jesus' death ( 8:35 ; Acts 20:24 Acts 20:28 ) and preeminently his resurrection, the event by which he conquered death and was exalted as Lord and coming Judge ( 10:36-43 ; 13:32-33 ; 17:31 ). According to 1 Peter the bearers of the gospel focused, as had the Old Testament prophets, upon "the sufferings of Christ and the glories that would follow" ( 1:11-12 ).
    Paul declares ( Rom 1:16 ; 1 Col 1:17-18 ) the gospel to be "the power of God" not merely a witness to, but an expression of his power. The gospel is no bare word but is laden with the power of the Holy Spirit ( 1 Col 2:1-5 ; 1 Thess 1:5-6 ). Thus it cannot be fettered ( 2 Tim 2:8-9 ). The gospel effects the salvation it announces and imparts the life it promises.
    The gospel offers salvation "through the grace of our Lord Jesus" ( Acts 15:11 ). Paul testifies "to the gospel of God's grace" ( Acts 20:24 ). The gospel is a witness to God's grace. In offering his Son as a sacrifice for sins ( Rom 3:25a ), God demonstrates his righteousness ( Romans 3:25 Romans 3:26 ). In Jesus' death sins formerly "passed over" ( 3:25c ) become the object of divine wrath ( 1:18 ). Yet in the place where God deals justly with sins, he shows grace to sinners. For the judgment is focused not upon the sinners themselves but upon the One who stands in their place ( 4:25 ; 5:6-11 ; 2 Cor 5:21 ; Gal 3:13 ). Sinners are therefore freely pardoned ( Rom 3:24 ). The gospel is a channel of God's grace. "A righteousness from God is revealed" in the gospel ( Rom 1:17 )not merely expounded but unleashed, so that the gospel becomes "the power of God for salvation" ( 1:16 ). God activates his righteousness by bestowing it freely upon sinners ( 5:17 ). They are acquitted, justified, "declared righteous, " by God the Judge by virtue of their union with Christ, who is himself their righteousness ( 1 Col 1:30 ; 2 Col 5:21 ; Php 3:9 ).
    The gospel calls for a threefold response. (1) Believing. The gospel is "the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes" ( Rom 1:16 ). Faith abandons all reliance on "works of law" for justification ( Rom 3:28 ) and trusts in God's grace imparted in Christ ( Romans 3:22 Romans 3:26 ; Galatians 2:16 Galatians 2:20 ). One must believe the gospel for here God's salvation is mediated. (2) Growing. The gospel is both a message to be received and a place in which to stand ( 1 Cor 15:1-2 ); it both gives and sustains life. The Spirit imparts wisdom by taking persons ever more deeply into the gospel of the cross ( 1 Col 1:18-2:16 ). Paul is eager to declare the gospel to the Christians in Rome ( Rom 1:15 ), by both his letter and his visit. (3) Hoping. "The hope held out in the gospel" ( Col 1:23 ) includes Christ's return and the heavenly glory ( Col 1:5 ; 2 Thess 2:14-16 ), as well as the final judgment ( Rom 2:16 ). For those who embrace the gospel the judgment holds no terrors, because the Judge has rescued them from the wrath to come ( Rom 8:1 ; 1 Thess 1:10 ); the last judgment marks their final vindication ( 1 Col 4:5 ; Gal 5:5 ). Those who died after believing the gospel ( 1 Peter 4:6 ) have not suffered the fate of the lawless; their response to the gospel assures them of approval by the coming Lord ( 4:5-6 ; 5:4 ) and of a share in the imperishable inheritance of heaven ( 1:4 ).

Hope that helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast