Fishing is a Passion

Mercury 2005 Opti 4 beeps

Mercury 2005 200L Opti serial # 1B190947

I am experiencing the 4 beep warning. The larger oil tank is full, the smaller oil tank attached to the engine is full with no signs of requiring to be bleed.

I realize that I need to get a diagnostic on the engine, but I am trying to educate myself a little before I take it to the mechanic.

Any info/help to educate me a little would be helpful.

TY Johnny
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

2. Fishing is a Passion
    I have been through all the Mercury engine posts and the sticky posts with regards to this issue. Not really a whole lot about possible causes. I went a little further and found that the float control assembly in the smaller oil tank attached to the engine has an issue with the magnet. I must say that my engine is not the only engine and oil tank that this seems to be an issue with.

The only remedy is to replace the entire oil reservoir assembly. They do not make just the float assembly.

I hope this info helps someone else start there own diagnosis to there engine that is having the same 4 beep issue.

This is just one possible cause of the beeps.

3. Member
    so you learned about jumper in wire harness to bypass sensor for a test
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Of course, part of the reason that you didn't find a lot on this is that there are literally DOZENS of problems that can result in the same warning horn sequence. This is why it's recommended to get the engine on the Computer Diagnostic System for Printouts of the Run History and Freeze Frame (Fault) History when warning horns occur.

Glad you were able to identify the problem. I'll go ahead and move your thread over to the 3L forum (correct forum for your engine).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Fishing is a Passion
    Thank you Don, How do I tell that this engine is a 3.0

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    We can see it from the Serial Number (and now that you know, you'll probably remember it).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor