Thread: Scholorship

Scholorship

Scholorship

This thread is from a question posed to me in a different thread. we decided to start a new one instead of high jacking the OT.

Dig, you asked me what do I think about "Bart Ehrman " and what did I think about his presentation ?

ANSWER : Bart is a New Testament scholar of the highest degree. He is also a former "Christian fundamentalist" raised in the bible belt. As he pursued his education he became aware of the many "problems" found in the New Testament. Now most Christians deal with those "problems" in a few ways.

1. Some, do not know they do exist.

2. Some knowing they exist, deal with it as if they do not exist.

3. Some think it is an entirely intellectual pursuit and means nothing.

I think a Christian should "be prepared to give an answer for the hope that lies within them with gentleness and respect." I do not think it is healthy to ignore the "problems" ALL SCHOLARS know exist. When I say ALL SCHOLARS, I mean even conservative scholarship.

I think every Christian should listen closely to what Bart has to say . Do I agree with everything he says, NO. But I have been aware of the "problems" for many years and agree with him on many of his points.

If it were not people like Bart and the discovery of tons of ancient text in the last 100 years we would have a much less accurate bible.

Regards
    Last edited by godsdozer; 03-17-2020 at 04:51 PM.

2. Member
    Here is an example, Enjoy.

3. Member
    Regards

4. Member
    Mark 6:8

7 And he called unto him the twelve, and began to send them forth by two and two; and gave them power over unclean spirits;
    8 and commanded them that they should take nothing for their journey, save a staff only; no scrip, no bread, no money in their purse:
    9 but be shod with sandals; and not put on two coats.

​Luke 9:3

9 Then he called his twelve disciples together, and gave them power and authority over all devils, and to cure diseases.2 And he sent them to preach the kingdom of God, and to heal the sick.3 And he said unto them, Take nothing for your journey, neither staves, nor scrip, neither bread, neither money; neither have two coats apiece.

Of the twelve called on the journey, how many carried staffs ?
    ​

Last edited by godsdozer; 03-17-2020 at 10:30 PM.

5. Member
    Sorry, I can only count to 11, unless I use my toes, at which point, I can count to 21

Though, I do have a very direct question for you. Do you believe that which is been stated in these videos you are posting?

BTW, if your question would have been whether or not the coats had buttons or zipper? I would have taken the time to answer it.

6. Member
    Good Morning Dig, Please refer to my origional post in this thread as to what I agree or disagree with Bart. I do not know if you are incapable of understanding or you just dont read my post/answers to your questions you direct towards me. This post was started at your request to not high jack another thread, therefore i answered your question in the OP.

You said in your response to my question about scripture, "
    BTW, if your question would have been whether or not the coats had buttons or zipper? I would have taken the time to answer it."

​ You may want to review these definitions :

1. tergiversate
    to be deliberately ambiguous or unclear in order to mislead or withhold information.

2. evade

verb \i-ˈvād, ē-\ evad·ed evad·ing
    intransitive verb
    1 : to slip away 2 : to take refuge in escape or avoidance
    transitive verb
    1 : to elude by dexterity or stratagem
    2 a : to avoid facing up to b : to avoid the performance of : dodge, circumvent; especially : to fail to pay (taxes) c :
    to avoid answering directly
    : turn aside

3 : to be elusive to : baffle

4. "sidestep"

transitive verb

1: bypass, evade sidestep a question

â
    ​​ I assume you follow the above definitions because you understand what your answer may create about your view of scripture ?

Have a great day

7. Member
    "Save a staff" is a subjective question, since it does not say whether to take one or not , leaving the option to the individual, hence making subject to whether or not some took it and some not.

If you are trying to prove that the bible is not reliable due to these oversight by the individuals that pen it, I will give you and easier out. The bible is unreliable since the people that were present were NOT the ones that wrote this down, especially Luke and Mark . But then you may say to me "didn't Jesus say that every jot and tittle shall not pass", hence expressing the need for detail.

You can clearly see that GOD was very clear in details of size and measurements wherever He needed it to be, so if the was a need in the count of the staffs take, He would have given each individual's name and the totality of the matter.
    Need I say more.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    "Save a staff" is a subjective question, since it does not say whether to take one or not , leaving the option to the individual, hence making subject to whether or not some took it and some not.

If you are trying to prove that the bible is not reliable due to these oversight by the individuals that pen it, I will give you and easier out. The bible is unreliable since the people that were present were NOT the ones that wrote this down, especially Luke and Mark . But then you may say to me "didn't Jesus say that every jot and tittle shall not pass", hence expressing the need for detail.

You can clearly see that GOD was very clear in details of size and measurements wherever He needed it to be, so if the was a need in the count of the staffs take, He would have given each individual's name and the totality of the matter.
    Need I say more.
    LOL , ok

9. Member
    Luke said DO NOT TAKE A STAFF. I dont think that is subjective , if you do think it is a subjective statement, well........................

You make my point.

Mark said "you may take a staff" . That statement would be permissive . its your choice if you take a staff or not.

Dig, you said "If you are trying to prove that the bible is not reliable due to these oversight by the individuals that pen it, I will give you and easier out. The bible is unreliable since the people that were present were NOT the ones that wrote this down, especially Luke and Mark ."

I have never said the bible is not reliable. But I can assure you that the majority of Christians DO NOT ACCEPT what you just wrote in the above quote.

Plenary Inspiration ?

You are making Bart Ehrams point..................................we do not have the autographs . We only have copies of copies of copies of copies of copies of the Autographs. Bart is not concerned about ones theology/beliefs or ones relgion, he is not theology minded even though he owns a theology undergraduate degree from a very conservative institution.

Have a good day !

Last edited by godsdozer; 03-18-2020 at 03:03 PM.

10. Member
    Dig you said:

"You can clearly see that GOD was very clearin details of size and measurements wherever He needed it to be, so if the was a need in the count of the staffs take, He would have given each individual's name and the totality of the matter.
    Need I say more"

Do you not see how problematic the bold portion of your quote is ?

11. Member
    God said " Do not Kill", "Do not steal", "Do not commit Adultery" are those subjective as well ? Or were these just more important ? If these are not subjective who determines which verses in the bible need to be accurate enough to not be subjective ? You ? Me ?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by godsdozer View Post
    God said " Do not Kill", "Do not steal", "Do not commit Adultery" are those subjective as well ? Or were these just more important ? If these are not subjective who determines which verses in the bible need to be accurate enough to not be subjective ? You ? Me ?
    Did I say that any of those were subjective?? "Do not murder, do not steal, do not commit adultery." NO

I said the "save a staff only" ( with the exception of a staff only) is very subjective, since it leaves the choice to the individual whether or not to take a staff. (Once again we find ourselves focusing and debating useless words)

Respect, be well.

13. Member
    Ok ..…………………….I hope the readers see your logic.