Thread: Smokin' Bologna

Smokin' Bologna

Has any one here smoked a chunk of Bologna?? I have about a 2 lb piece. Any tips or help, thank you.

I love some smoked bologna, I've done quite a few of them. First thing to remember is that it is already cooked and all your doing is getting it smoky, number two, you can over smoke one, too much smoke and it will be bitter. an hour to an hour and a half is usually plenty at 225. I like cherry or apple wood. Serve as a sandwich or cover with BBQ sauce, my favorite is cut it up in chunks with some cheddar cheese and crackers and I'm in heaven. And remember the bologna tastes just as good cold if not better than when it's hot. And there is nothing wrong with the chef sampling a few bites along the way to make sure it's done the way he wants it.

3. Member
    Agree with everything 11pounder said and will add that I cross cut the chunk to get more rub and more area exposed to smoke
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

4. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    I have smoked several bologna chubs. Don’t over season so you get a light smoke flavor.

5. Member
    Thanks Guys, will be doing this on Friday along with Bacon Burnt Ends. I'll let ya know how it turned out.

I do it the same, light smoke, not too long, cutting it (shallow) works. Fried bologna with onion and tomato is excellent.

Now have 10# in the MES thanks to this. Bologna with tomato and onions tonight. Thick cut and it’s OOOOOOH it’s so good!
    Last edited by fr8dog; 03-18-2020 at 03:39 PM.

7. Member
    Here is a little tip---Get you a piece of 1/2" PVC pipe and cut one end to make a point. Clean the inside and outside of the pipe well after you cut the angle......Use the pipe to core-cut a hole through the center of the chub. See what I just did--Let your imagination think of what you can fill the hole with-------With the piece of bologna that is in the pipe--push it out and cut 2 small pieces for both ends of the chub after you fill it...Use bamboo skewers soaked in water to hold the pieces in....

8. Member
    The couple I've done , I learned to keep the temp low like the 200 range, otherwise the moisture cooks off.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Esox Z518C View Post
    Thanks Guys, will be doing this on Friday along with Bacon Burnt Ends. I'll let ya know how it turned out.
    Well here is the finished goods. Smoked at 220 deg. 2 1/2 hrs, finished for 15 min. in a pan with sauce and a little left over rub/brown sugar. Really good. Bologna turned out great also. Thanks guys on the bologna.

10. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    Smoked this one yesterday with Cherry wood chunks on my WSM. Sliced it up this morning.

11. Member
    Daaaaaang! Looks great!
    90 Shadow 20' Mod V w/ 200 Merc - Total resto and loving it!
    Here's my build from cap-off to boat in the water.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=336645

Looks good, gonna have to try this soon!!
    I BELIEVE!!!!