2018 PHX 20 with Mercury 250 XS 2 stroke

Looking for prop recommendations. Currently I have a 25 Fury that Marks Props blue printed and fixed up. It runs good but the RPMS are topping out at 5650 and like to have the boat to handle a bit better. Currently the boat gets very tight on the wheel when at WOT and is very sensitive to any bumps will send it into a chine walk. Chine walk is drive-able but not ideal.

Goals are to get a better hole shot, secure the boat on the pad at WOT, Free up the wheel at WOT and turn more RPMS if we can get more speed

Current set-up
    2018 PHX
    2018 250 Mercury Pro XS 2 stroke
    2 8 foot power poles
    10 inch jack plate
    36 volt trolling motor
    Full tournament load
    Motor height 3,25

Thanks

2. Member
    You might want to try a 4-blade fury or 4-blade bravo xs. your rpms seem way too low, you aren't even getting into the power curve which is usually around 5850rpms. the 4 blades give much better handling and better hole shot. the 3 blades are normally quicker and not as good out of the hole. maybe you should try a different 3-blade fury. They all are a little different. i have a phx921 with a yamaha 250sho and i didn't like the way the 3 blade 25 yamaha prop ran and handled. i switched to a 4 blade bravo xs 26 and it is a game changer. Rabbit out of the hole and handles like a dream! no chine walking either. best speed by myself was 74

3. Member
    What's the top end you're getting and are those rpms from the factory tach or a smartcraft?

4. Member
    That seems like a lot of prop for that setup. You might want to try a 24 Fury. I have also been told that a Tempest will work better on a PHX20. I have a 4s om mine so its not apples to apples. I have found a 25 Bravo 1 XS to run pretty good on mind with good handling. At some point, I want to try a 25 Tempest.

5. Member
    I'm still shocked at the small wheel size for the V-8 Merc 4S. Can anyone give a dummy the explanation? I've been running a 25-26 SHO ventless on my V-6 Yamaha for years.
    2014 920/SHO

6. Member
    I have a '17 921 phx with a merc 250 2 stroke.

Came with Fury 3 24 pitch, got close but never maxed out rpms, switched to fury 3 25 pitch and might have gained one mph. Running mid to low 70's with both 3 blades. Recently tried 24 fury 4 and hole shot and handling improved dramatically but might switch to 25 fury 4 if i can run my rpm's up on the 24 when the weather cooperates.

That being said, your lighter boat shouldn't be struggling to turn a 24 pitch fury with a 250 2 stroke. What is your prop to pad?

7. Member
    Thank you for the info. Would you change pitch if I was to switch from 3 to 4 blade?

8. Member
    Mercury smart gauge for RPMS

9. Member
    What is the performance difference between a Fury and Tempest? The boat is loaded so it is a heavy girl!

10. Member
    With those rpms i would try a fury 4 24

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by txbass1 View Post
    I'm still shocked at the small wheel size for the V-8 Merc 4S. Can anyone give a dummy the explanation? I've been running a 25-26 SHO ventless on my V-6 Yamaha for years.
    The 4s runs higher rpm than the 2s therefore you need a smaller wheel. 1 pitch is only 150-200 rpm so if you are running a 2s at the recommended 5900 you need to go down one pitch to get the 4s into its recommended range and you gain some hole shot as well. Win win.

As for an answer to the OP, a 25 Fury should be the wheel for you. I recently had a 25 Fury B&B’d by Mark and could no longer get the desired rpm out of it. I think he likes to add some cup to them, which makes em harder to turn. Might want to try a stock 25.

12. Roachboat
    Mark worked my 25 fury for my 921xs and said he’s really messed up my prop. What I finally found out is, it’s faster at less trim after he worked it. Less trim means less chine walk!!