Lucas M

Flush Mount Helix in Ranger 180vs (or similar)

Hey everyone,

I have a 2005 Reata 180vs. I currently ahve it set up with a 1199 at the dash on a ram mount and a 1199 at the bow. WHen i bought my boat it had a 5" lowrance flush mounted in the dash. I ended up removing this to clear up some room and have a cleaner look. I would like to mount a Helix 5 or 7 if there is enough room where I removed the lowrance. I would like to use the helix as my GPS map at all times to have more screen room for SI on my 1199.

Has anyone flush mounted a helix 5/7 in their reata or fishNski? If so, what did you need to have in order to flush mount it, and how did you install it? I currently have a hole where the 5" lowrance was, so I am planning on modifying the size hole to hit a helix, and them using a metal/plastic plate cutout to fit around the helix once installed for a clean look.

If anyone has any advice, that would be great. Pictures would be even better.

I have attached a photo of my dash when the lowrance was in there to show you what I am working with.

Thanks!

58644599976__583AFCA5-A950-464F-B84F-7A87E55727C5.JPG

2. Member
    I have a Nitro Z19 sport and have a Helix 7, G3 flush mounted in my dash. I really like it with it being out of the way. I know that you need a flush mount kit for the specific size. This is the one that the dealer used on my boat: https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.c...els-reinforced

I had my dealer install it but I think if you need dimensions etc you can use the mounting kit as a template etc. I know the dealer said on my boat that the 7" was the biggest they could do on the Nitro Z19 Sport. Below is a picture of my install.

Helix & G3 in Dash.jpg

3. Member
    Sorry, image came in rotated.

4. Lucas M
    Thanks for the info and photo!
    I am thinking I will need to either remove or move some of my gauges if i go with the 7. maybe a 5 will be a better fit, but dont know if its worth having in there with that small of a screen. I will have to play around with it a bit.

If others have ideas of photos, would like to see them!

Thanks

5. Member
    I would say that the 5" may be too small, but you could probably check that out at store.

6. Lucas M
    I currently have a Helix 5 that I use for ice fishing, but would upgrade to a 7 if it fits.

7. Member
    I know you asked about flush mount but if you’re used to an 1199 going to a HELIX 5 and probably even 7 would be to small so what about remaking the gauge panel to rearrange the gauges and mount a gimbal with a 7 or bigger? I have a Ranger 212LS Fish & Ski and put a HELIX 10 at the console, upgrading to dual 10’s this spring. I made the panel out of aluminum and bent another piece of aluminum to mount the gimbal to, just a thought.

8. Lucas M
    Gary,
    I should have been more clear. I am planning on keeping the 1199 mounted where it currently is in the dash, and adding, not replacing a helix 5/7 for a second screen.

I do like the looks of this though! Do you know how much it was to replace the gauge panel to do this? I would consider doing this with my 1199 at the dash instead of where it is now. I feel like I would have better visibility than where I have it now.

Good luck with your dual's! I bet that will look awesome. Send pics when you get it set up.

9. Member
    Oh, ok, I understand.

I like having the screen right in front like this, not too high that you can't see over but provide excellent visibility of you chart when running and sonar when scanning.

The gauge panel itself is made from 1/4in thick 6061 Aluminum and then cut to fit and powder coated wrinkle black. The aluminum cost about $40 if I'm not mistaken and then another $15 for powder coat.

If you do choose to do replace the panel with aluminum, take a look at Coremark Metals in Minneapolis. They have some good prices and you'd save on shipping by picking it up.

In all honesty, I'd probably make it out off 5052 Aluminum next time because it cuts better and maybe consider making it from 3/16in, but seeing that I'm going with dual units now I'm happy I have the 1/4in material. I think 5052 costs a little less as well.

Thanks, will do! I just ordered the material (1/4in thick 5052 Aluminum) a couple days ago, already have the second unit. Once the material gets here it should only take a couple days to get it cut, bent, drilled and check the mounting before powder coating it. But in the meantime, this will give you an idea of how it'll look

I have a Helix 10 mounted on a Ram swing arm on the left side of the driver's console. I can rotate it to be viewed from any position in the boat. I'll get pics when I get my boat hopefully this week.
    Mine is a 2008 180VS

11. Member
    Finally got around to getting the dual unit bracket made and setup. Gonna run it this weekend and make sure it’s stable, I have to tweak the gimbal locations just a little and then I’ll get it powdercoated

12. Member
    Why do you run 2 finders anyway? I have a hard time just figuring the one I have,,forget about 2,,,,I’d like to mount my mega 10 on my Ranger 397xt like this one,,,looks great,,,does it work at cruising speeds or just idling like mine does on my trolling motor?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Takeum View Post
    Why do you run 2 finders anyway? I have a hard time just figuring the one I have,,forget about 2,,,,I’d like to mount my mega 10 on my Ranger 397xt like this one,,,looks great,,,does it work at cruising speeds or just idling like mine does on my trolling motor?
    I guess everyone is different in their reasoning but ours is this...

At the bow we run the bottom unit as a map most of the time and sometimes split screen between map and 2D, the top unit gets used as M360 most of the time and sometimes I run split screen with M360 and MDI. At the console the left unit runs the map most of the time and sometimes split between map and 2D while the right unit runs MSI most of the time and sometimes runs split screen between MSI and MDI. Now when we are trolling around casting, the right console unit gets shows the M360 for my wife at the back of the boat.

Last year when scanning new areas I would have the console unit split between map and MSI and it just makes things smaller. Not that I had a big problem with it but always thought it would be nice to have two units so when I upgraded to M360 and had to upgrade a unit to G3N I figured why not run the unit I was replacing from the bow at the console. Now I can split screen both units and see all 3 scans and a map if I want, but typically its map on the left and MSI on the right.

Sure, you could run a larger screen like the HELIX 12 but they are taller and will block viewing when driving, not so much for me but for my wife because she is short. Also, when we had bought everything I was spending enough as is (boat, safety items, talons, electronics, etc) and I got some good deals on the first 3 units making it more affordable to go with the 10's.

As for running at speeds, no. When running I put the bow units into standby and when I'm ready to jump on plane I put the right console unit into standby as well. I'm not as knowledgeable in the transducers and things needed to be able to scan at speed but it is something I've thought about and maybe one day I'll look into it more.

On a side note, I need to buy a NMEA2000 backbone kit and then I should have what I need to connect the motor to my Humminbird network and be able to display engine data (RPM, MPH, Fuel, Temp, etc) on the right console unit while running.
    Last edited by gary_fritz; 06-09-2020 at 06:18 AM.
    2019 Ranger 212LS with a 2019 Mercury 250 ProXS 4-Stroke
    Humminbird HELIX 10 MSI and HELIX 10 Chirp (side by side at the console)
    Humminbird HELIX 10 MDI+ and HELIX 10 Chirp (stacked at the bow)
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112lb with Humminbird MEGA 360
    Dual Minn Kota 12' Talon with R&R Design
    Extended Emergency Ladder