Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknobber bot View Post
    Not a fan of glass, best I've found so far is the 7'4 tatula elite mhrb, non glass big topwater rod.

+1. Great chatterbait rod

I have tried the glass and composite rods...I loose too many fish. Not a fan. I ahve found a MH 7' to 7, 2" rod with a fast tip seems to work best for me.

Ive tried a ton of different bladed jig rods....if you want a great low budget bladed jig rod, try the Shimano Convergence...7ftmh fast action..... and thank me later

4. Member
    Lot of choices out there. I am going to have to get my hands on some of them to see how they fish. Thanks for the suggestions.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    I have tried the glass and composite rods...I loose too many fish. Not a fan. I ahve found a MH 7' to 7, 2" rod with a fast tip seems to work best for me.
    What line do you use. I use 30 pd. braid with my glass rod and my hookup ratio is awesome.

6. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    I throw 15 lb fluro on my chatterbaits. By far (and ive tried many) the best rod and only rod I will throw my chatterbaits on is a 7'2" composite Shimano Expride. Hsve 2 setup on my deck at all times. Im fishing a chatterbait 75 to 80 percent of the time as well. Go confidence and money making bait. So I fish them alot, prob own more jackhammers then B Hite himself.

Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    I throw 15 lb fluro on my chatterbaits. By far (and ive tried many) the best rod and only rod I will throw my chatterbaits on is a 7'2" composite Shimano Expride. Hsve 2 setup on my deck at all times. Im fishing a chatterbait 75 to 80 percent of the time as well. Go confidence and money making bait. So I fish them alot, prob own more jackhammers then B Hite himself.
    My choice as well

Quote Originally Posted by joekaz View Post
    What line do you use. I use 30 pd. braid with my glass rod and my hookup ratio is awesome.

30-40lb braid depending on cover, sometimes 15-20lb fluoro. It ain't the line that caused ,e to lose them. its the rod when I tried glass. I have zero doubts about it. Tried it enough to see a difference to the negative.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    30-40lb braid depending on cover, sometimes 15-20lb fluoro. It ain't the line that caused ,e to lose them. its the rod when I tried glass. I have zero doubts about it. Tried it enough to see a difference to the negative.
    It's funny because I have zero doubts that my glass rods hook and keep more fish pinned compared to my G Loomis Spinnerbait rods. I have noticed that my Dobyns 735 glass seems to be more effective at hooking fish than my Tatula glass. I love the Dobyns so much I just bought 2 more. I fish bladed jigs 90 percent of the time.

10. Member
    Add me to the group that can't keep fish pinned with glass. I still believe whole heartedly you need a moderate action, just not glass. Last year I hooked 18 and landed 14 with a 736 glass, hooked over 150 on mod graphite and landed every single one, no joke. Glass numbers would've been higher but I sold my 736 glass after 1 day of use. Couldn't stand that rod.

11. Member
    G loomis NRX.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcbass View Post
    My choice as well
    Same love that expride mh!!
    Shimano and Gloomis kick @ss, 17 Phoenix 919 225 Merc

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
    Yep. I usually use 17lb. fluoro though.
    Same here
    Nitro Savage 896 - 150hp Mariner EFI - U​ltrex / Garmins

14. Banned
    I have had great success with an NRX 893 with 17 fluoro

So far this season I am liking the ALX Ikos Promise 73 on 17lb fluoro, I have had a pretty good hookup ratio thus far and it works well for popping it out of the grass with the fast tip
    '06 Xpress X19 TS | 150 Yamaha VMAX

16. Member
    I pm u

17. Member
    I use three different rods. One glass, two graphite. All medium heavy. 2 - 6'-10, 1 - 7'-2'

Depending on the day, I love/hate all three.

I like the glass rod, but some days I just can't get the fish hooked, need a little more power.

Some days, just the reverse. Need the slower rod.

I just use all three. Older rods, nothing you superstars would ever admit to using.

Never found a lure so temperamental to work with.

Fished with all three today. The fish were smoking the lure so it didn't matter.
    Last edited by MCIPinkie; 03-31-2020 at 08:53 PM. Reason: typo

18. Member
    My chatterbait rod last season was a 7’6”mh power Scheels rod. The lure ratings were that of a typical medium power rod though. I used #40 braid to a #17 mono leader and had great success with it. For some reason I bought a Lews TP1 7’3” cranking rod that’s supposed to be one of their best chatterbait rods. It seems more powerful than the rod I used last season. I’ll give them both a shot this year

19. Member
    No one has said it yet but I'm all in with the Steez FlexLite 7'2" MH. I have two of them now and haven't looked back. I'd buy a third if I could find one.

20. Member
    Conquest 844 has done very well for me. No lost fish and the rod is not over powered by any means. 15# fluorocarbon.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast