Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Looking for a good chatterbait rod,

I have been having fish on chatterbaits getting unbuttoned and am looking for a good chatterbait rod, most likely a glass rod. What are you chatterbait experts using?

2. Member
    budget??

I am a rookie but love this rod... https://tackletrap.com/index.php?mai...ducts_id=13645 its also higher end so might not work.

anyways it has some fiberglass in it, but to me its still super sensitive, and you can feel the vibration of a chatterbait, you dont see alot of chatter about these rods and the price is part of that but they do the job
    Last edited by gear junkie; 03-17-2020 at 10:06 AM.

3. Member
    Not a fan of glass, best I've found so far is the 7'4 tatula elite mhrb, non glass big topwater rod.

4. Member
    Dobyns 736cb glass with 30-40 lb braid.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 by 3 View Post
    Dobyns 736cb glass with 30-40 lb braid.
    Yep. I usually use 17lb. fluoro though.

St. Croix Legend Tournament Sweeper Spinnerbait rod
    7’-0” MH Moderate Fast action rod
    Ecellent for chatterbaits, buzzbaits, swim jigs, and rhe spinnerbaits.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

I just bought that 736CB from Dobyns as well. Hammered them on that rod at Toledo last weekend. It was fantastic.
    Cody // 2011 Phoenix 721

8. Member
    Shimano Expride 7'2" MH Glass composite rod for me.

I really like the Megabass Orochi XX and the MB Levante Diablo Spec R for bladed jigs.

NRX 853C this is about the only thing I use that rod for. Just the right mix of power, tip and sensitivity.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bCody View Post
    I just bought that 736CB from Dobyns as well. Hammered them on that rod at Toledo last weekend. It was fantastic.
    What weight cb were you using? I mostly use 1/2oz. tia

12. Member
    No expert with a chatterbait. Just bought StCroix Legioned Glass 7'2" hm last weekend. Rod seems to have good sensitivity for the chatter bait. Handle a little fat and like blank threw reel seats better. Tackle trap has then on sale. Oh it's but ugly.

I tried glass and glass/graphite composite rods. I lost fish with both. A couple years ago I switched to a 6'6" MH spinnerbait type rod and don't have the problem anymore. So, any 6'6"-7' MH spinnerbait rod will work.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

14. Member
    One thing for sure, when you ask about a chatterbait rod on any forum you will get recommendations all across the board. Do a search and you will see this topic has come up before multiple times.

To me, the best blank (rod) has to be heavy powered with moderate action. Take you pick on graphite, glass, or composite. It sorta comes down to personal preference. I don't feel like MH in most brands fits the bill. Chatterbaits have a lot of drag. By the time you take a 1/2oz chatter bait and put a plastic swim type trailer on it, you are 3/4oz range... This fits more with H powered rods vs MH. I never like to be at the upper end of the power range with any lure/rod combination.

My new personal favorite is a Cabela's composite crankbait rod 7'5" rated up to 1.5oz... that rod handles chatterbaits like a dream. Very powerful and loads up just right. Unfortunately is a discontinued rod series.

Second choice is my Kistler Helium 3 H XF... it's really not XF, more like moderate fast action. Handles chatterbaits well. It's the prior generation H3's, and unfortunately all the H powered rods in the Kistler line-up are MOD actions.

2018 LEGEND 211R | 250 MERC PROXS

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknobber bot View Post
    Not a fan of glass, best I've found so far is the 7'4 tatula elite mhrb, non glass big topwater rod.
    I currently have 2 chatter bait set-ups with this rod. So far this season I am 8 for 9 in landing fish.

16. Member
    I have been flip-flopping back and forth between the MB Diablo Spec R and NRX MBR 843. Can't go wrong with either. I think any MBR 843 in the Loomis line is about the right power/action for 1/4-1/2 oz vibrating jigs.

- Ken
    Ken Kipler
    South Mills, NC by way of
    CV-43, AS-31, CVN-69, FFG-56, CVN-69, CVN-71
    Ranger 520L w/ Merc Pro XS 250 4S (2B635878)

17. Scraps
    There are times when they just won't clobber a chatterbait and fish are lost. Could also look at your line. I use a couple different Powell rods, basically spinnerbait rods, for chatterbaiting. Endurance 705cb, 755cb or a 733cef. I have a new Max 754cb, glass rod, that I've heard is a great chatterbait rod. This is the more limber of the bunch.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    There are times when they just won't clobber a chatterbait and fish are lost. Could also look at your line. I use a couple different Powell rods, basically spinnerbait rods, for chatterbaiting. Endurance 705cb, 755cb or a 733cef. I have a new Max 754cb, glass rod, that I've heard is a great chatterbait rod. This is the more limber of the bunch.
    754cb

19. Member
    I have been using my 7'4 Heavy Legend Elite lately as a chatterbait rod. Love the combination of the flexible tip with the sturdy backbone of the rod. Had originally bought the rod as a pure Jig rod, but was a bit disappointed from the rod's sensitivity, so repurposed it.

20. Member
    My two favorites are also my most expensive I guess, but the Conquest 843C and Steez AGS 7'2 MHRB have been great. The Conquest I've been using for a while now. It is very sensitive but has the bend you want for chatterbait fishing. It's obviously easier to tell when grass gets on your chatterbait because normally it stops the blade, but even crawling them on the bottom, or feeling for the tops of grass it's crazy good. The Steez is much more parabolic and I believe is designed for crankbaits, spinnerbaits and topwater. It's my new favorite as I believe it'll pin them but since it's still graphite it has that feel that I need/want. If you want to splurge those would be my suggestions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast