Water Pump Change

2B115186

Question is regarding the O-ring below the third gasket. When changing the pump this weekend I was replacing the O Ring below the 3rd gasket. My question is which O-ring it is in the water pump change kit. I assume it's the orange one. Also does it go 'around' the lip of the black hard plastic? Or do you place it in the hole and then sandwich the plate and gasket on top of the O-ring? It didn't want to stay 'around' the black hard plastic ring. Sorry, I wish I had pictures and the parts website on EM website is giving me fits.
    2015 Nitro Z-7 175 Pro XS

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Inspect the o-ring you REMOVED. You install the replacement (which is virtually identical in diameter AND cross-section) in the same groove on the water pump base.

ie: There is a groove that the o-ring fits into on the base (where the original o-ring should have been).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    I didn't see a groove. The O ring was not attached to the base when removed. I assume the base is # 29 in the picture and the ring is # 32 . I put the third gasket flush on the underside of the base and then tried to put the oring against the gasket but it would not stay.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Member
    o ring wont fit right against gasket it goes just below it , the groove it fits in should be just above lower surface, some bases(aftermarket) have wider grooves than others, im looking at both right now
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    This isn't the best picture, as I was taking a picture of the silicone that I replaced... however, you can barely see the orange o-ring that stayed in the hole when I took the base out. So i layed the new orange ring in there and put the new gasket and base on top of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Member
    dang man you gotta pull that piece out too that's part of the base assyembly, its 2 pieces
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    LoL That explains it

8. Member

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor