Weird issue with 175 Pro XS

Serial 1B862983

Back in December, was headed back to the ramp in front of a storm. Didn’t leave soon enough, but that’s another story.

Powered up, got on pad, and trimmed up. Ran for maybe 60 seconds and then fell on its face. Way down on power. Checked what I could, then limped to the ramp at 5 mph in the wind and rain. Next day, went to a close lake with my spark checker, and found no spark on the three port cylinders.

New job and associated move relegated the boat to the back burner for a while. Just got it onto the shop last week. They could not find anything wrong, and the motor was firing on all six cylinders. Went ahead and had them change spark plugs, water pump, and fuel filter while they had it. Any idea what I can check to ensure this doesn’t happen again?
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

I suspect poor ground connections for that bank of coils. I believe you will find two ground connectors each containing three black wires from each bank of coils, remove those grounds and clean the connectors and the attachment areas shiny new, after cleaning be sure to recoat with liquid tape completely, also be sure the electrical plate is grounded well. Don't just look at them and check the fasteners. Remove them and clean them thoroughly. let us know the results
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    ^^^ Good advice

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor