Help - oversanded fiberglass boat

Good evening,
    I have an old fiberglass boat where the starboard side is oxidized gelcoat and someone painted the other side. I started sanding the paint off with a power sander. I noticed one spot looked like the fiberglass was going to crack. It was so thin one could probably push through it. Question is how do I repair that? I was considering using Fiberfix Rigid patch. I am open to any suggestions, I felt sick to my stomach when I noticed this.

thank you,

Need some pics...for good usable advice.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

3. Member
    can you get to the area from the inside?
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

4. Member

5. Member
    No I cannot get it from the inside. I am trying to post a picture but don’t have enough posts

6. Member
    Throw it up on Imgur.com or Photobucket and post the link here in the thread.

7. Member

8. Member

9. Member
    I would use West System Epoxy and some fiberglass cloth. It would replace strength from any cloth loss, and the epoxy adheres to almost everything. If you need pointers on doing fiberglass, I am sure you tube would have a lot or look up West Systems and they have tutorials.
    dvl2700

It looks to be above the rub rail, so that's good. You should be able to get behind it; it may take removing parts or even cutting an access hole, but this would make it a lot easier to repair. I had a boat get slammed into the bottom of a dock once during a bad storm on Table Rock lake. Water dropped several feet, boat went under dock, and when the swell came back up it slammed the gunnel into an angle iron support beam. The damage was in the same spot as pictured on your boat. I cut a hole for one of these access hatches https://www.ebay.com/i/293139311064?...0aAjzjEALw_wcB then applied cloth epoxied from the back side. When I was done, I just installed the screw on access hatch over the hole I had made and it looked like the boat came that way. Repairing from the back side will be much, much easier and result in a better looking repair.
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL 2004 Mercury 200 EFI