2020 SHO 225 repower on 2003 Ranger 520 vx

Recently re powered my 2003 Ranger 520vx with a 225 SHO. I have a 6" CMC manual jack plate that has both plate an engine mounted as high as they can go. Approx 4" PTP. Runs great and stable. Lifts very well with a 25p Trophy four blade prop. Great hole shot. I wish I could go higher just a tad on PTP.
    Question is....I can turn about 5700 rpm plus a tad fully loaded gas, two anglers, gear and live wells full. Approx 67mph. I am not a speed demon but want to run the motor at optimum RPM. Is this sufficient or should I try a three blade tempest plus or drop prop pitch to 24? It is my understanding Yamaha wants 5800 - 6000 rpm. Hard to achieve most days with weather and water conditions. Thanks in advance for advice.

Just saw this post. I have a 2002 520 with a 225 SHO. I fooled around with props and found that you will prolly have to go to a 23 P Tempest or better yet call croxton and explain you situation to him.

I bought a 24 Yamaha T2. It has more diameter than Tempest as Yamaha states that their engine likes to run high. My 24 T2 runs about 70-71 light load, 68-69 heavy at around 5800. I should have got a 23 and had croxton tweak it.
    I have a 25 tempest worked by croxton. It's great but I can't get more than 5600rpm.

I tried a stock 23 tempest. It got to 6000rpm but I lost speed to 62-63mph

All that said. If I were you I would try a worked by croxton 23p Yamaha T2 or Tempest 23p croxtonized as well if you want the best of both.

I have a hydro JP by Atlas as well.

Just my 2cents here. I'm no expert in any sense.

Or you could flash your ECU to 250 or higher so your current prop might just be perfect. That would prolly get your 25 prop to 6000 or close

If you go that route I like you to keep me up to date

3. Member
    I tried my 25P Tempest Plus today. Great hole shot but less on RPM and MPh. I have read so many positive comments on Croxton so will plan to call. My dealer wants me at 6000 RPM. He mentioned a 24P Four blade Fury or Yamaha Prop. Trying to be frugal and use what I have from my past Optimax. RIP. Want years of service out of my new SHO. Thanks so much for your reply. I will keep you posted.

4. Member
    I spoke with Mark Croxton a couple of weeks ago. He recommended the 23p Tempest Plus to achieve the rpm range. With the 23p, I get the 6000 rpm and have maintained the same speed tourney load. Happy to achieve the right rpm range for motor health.

Have you tried any of Yamaha prop my boat likes them better than any other props. I've just about them all on my X21TS Express

12 lbs 9 oz caught on 4/28/1975 Lake Eufaula