New ZX225 - Driving Issues

This may all be related to little to no seat time. This past weekend sometimes when I get on plane the boat will just start porpoising until i hammer the throttle and trim it all the way up. Sometimes it gets on plane and does not do that. Both times i have left the motor trimmed all the way down.

Any suggestions.

Thanks,
    Wes

2020 Skeeter ZX225
    netbait.com
    denalirods.com

How high is your motor and what prop?
    USMC Vet!

3. Member
    I have a ZX 225 I got in October. They are pretty sensitive to porpoising. What I have found is it likes to be run down until about 40 MPH then trim it up. After 40 MPH no bouncing at all. I do have a jackplate but that is even with it at "10".

4. Member
    If going under 35-40 I trim my motor all the way down, otherwise it porpoises like crazy. It will stay on plane at 23 and run flat but you have to keep it tucked clear under.

Quote Originally Posted by Hchamberlin1 View Post
    If going under 35-40 I trim my motor all the way down, otherwise it porpoises like crazy. It will stay on plane at 23 and run flat but you have to keep it tucked clear under.
    Do you have a hydraulic jack plate?

I have an older ZX190 with the same porpoising issues, and it seems(from reading similar posts) that this is almost common with Skeeters.

6. Member
    It's going to porpoise at that speed. Break in period drove me nuts. Will calm down when you start getting around 40mph.
    2020 Skeeter ZX200 / 200 SHO

7. Member
    No I have the manual. It definitely porpoises bad if not trimmed clear down. When I hop on plane I remain trimmed down full until I reach 35-40 mph before I start coming up. Doing this it does not hop so much. If I start trimming as soon as it breaks over it start hopping terribly

That is normal for a Skeeter. There's no way to stop it. Just learn to drive it.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

9. Member
    It has manual jack plat not sure on the measurements at this time. Will take a look over the weekend. All the information seems to match what i have seen.

Thanks for the info.
    Wes

2020 Skeeter ZX225
    netbait.com
    denalirods.com

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hchamberlin1 View Post
    No I have the manual. It definitely porpoises bad if not trimmed clear down. When I hop on plane I remain trimmed down full until I reach 35-40 mph before I start coming up. Doing this it does not hop so much. If I start trimming as soon as it breaks over it start hopping terribly
    Very common for those hulls. I owned one back in the 90's and it porpoised and would hook on you in a minute. Nice fishing platform though. Even the 18 footers fish big. I fish allot of tidal water so the Skeeter had to go. My buddy's dad has one and it will do the same thing unless you build some speed before trimming at all.

11. Member
    Get some prop work done and it will correct it
    Roger Xiong Jr
    Mukwonago, WI
    rxiong21@gmail.com

2018 Skeeter ZX250 250 Yamaha SHO

12. Member
    Keep it trimmed down when going slow and trim down when coming down from higher speeds. Get extra cup in your prop. I keep a heavy load of Tackle up front in the bow storage and I believe that helps as well. I have a 2015 ZX 250 and doing the above have no issues with porposing.
    Last edited by bgibson; 03-20-2020 at 05:47 PM.

13. Member
    This is brought up every couple months. It is the design of the Skeeter hull, just keep the motor trimmed ALL the way DOWN at low speeds and it will not porpoise.... it’s very simple, no need for prop work/jack plate adjustment. It’s part of owning a Skeeter!

14. triton
    My friends call me Flipper......hard to ge used to coming from Tritons...

CARL MAYER
    SKEETER FX20 2016
    BARRYVILLE NY 12719

2023 FORD RAPTOR

15. Member
    After more seat time i have more information that may help. At least this is from my perspective. Running 30'ish full trim under. if over 30 trim all the way up. Slowing down trim all the way down. This is helped me on my last trip, will have more seat time this weekend so should get better.

I had an 20i and never had problems with this it was a breeze to drive.
    Wes

2020 Skeeter ZX225
    netbait.com
    denalirods.com

16. Member
    I have found this to be an issue too although I have only had my zx225 since Nov. 2019 and it is a 2019 model. Like most boats trim all the way down when you take off. Keep it trimmed down and raise it as it gets to 30 to 40ish. As long as your accelerating it does not really do it but if your just cruising at that speed it tends to do that. I also noticed it when coming off plain when you get to your spot. I trim down as I slow down and it cuts that out. It took me a few trips out to figure it out. Seat time is always best and try to experiment some. That's what I did. I think my rig has maybe 27 hours on it now. Ill have to check the hour counter.
    2019 Skeeter ZX225
    Tempest Plus 25p prop
    112 Minn Koda Ultrex I-Piolet Link