2008 Triton TR-196 setup

I picked up an 08 Triton TR-196 w/ 200 Merc Opti at the end of last season. Upgraded from a 01 Triton TR-186 with 150 Merc. I had 2 8 ft blades installed when purchased. I have a lot to learn on driving this boat - very different from my old one. Besides the needed seat time, I want to make sure I have this setup right. I have a 25 Fury 3 blade. My issues are 1. Takes a long time to get on pad with full tourney load, and 2. Chinewalks bad right around 60 mph. Would a 4 blade be the answer? Too much weight in back of boat be the cause? Is this the same hull design as the 04-05 Tr-196’s?
    Any help would be much appreciated!
    Thanks!
    Steve

2. Member
    i have a 2005 tr196 same engine, jack plate 2 1/4 below pad,and i have a tempest 25 mine runs around 73 mph ans from dead stop when i nail it 3.5 seconds it noses over and away it goes,i can feel starting to move around around 68 mph i just try to put a left jerk on my steering wheel and it is fine then,i think most guys run a 25 tempest on a tr196 with a 200 optimax

I currently have an 08 TR-196 and have had a few of them. What jack plate do you have on it? 196's handle better with an 8" plate just FYI, but can be great boats with anything from no plate to 10" plates. You should be in the 2 1/2" below range as mentioned above for set up. Not sure how the poles will change things since I don't have any and haven't. Most 196's like a 26 Tempest especially one that Mark has B&B'd. Some run loads that need a 25 and some a 27. Your 25 Fury will turn about the same as a 26 Tempest, but Fury props typically run lower Prop to Pad than a Tempest. You may need to be closer to 3" below with a Fury. I have a 27 Tempest on mine with 8" hydraulic plate. Depending on load and conditions, I run anywhere from 1.5 below to 3 below and run low to mid 70's. You do have to drive a 196, it handles like a sports car though and is deemed as one of Triton's best. Feel free to reach out for help, we will all help if we can.

4. Member
    Thanks for the info! I have a manual 6” Pro Hi-Jacker HP jackplate.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoFish4429 View Post
    Thanks for the info! I have a manual 6” Pro Hi-Jacker HP jackplate.
    thats what i have also,i put a hole hot plate on the bottom of mine to help with back wash and to mount my side scan transducer

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hale View Post
    I currently have an 08 TR-196 and have had a few of them. What jack plate do you have on it? 196's handle better with an 8" plate just FYI, but can be great boats with anything from no plate to 10" plates. You should be in the 2 1/2" below range as mentioned above for set up. Not sure how the poles will change things since I don't have any and haven't. Most 196's like a 26 Tempest especially one that Mark has B&B'd. Some run loads that need a 25 and some a 27. Your 25 Fury will turn about the same as a 26 Tempest, but Fury props typically run lower Prop to Pad than a Tempest. You may need to be closer to 3" below with a Fury. I have a 27 Tempest on mine with 8" hydraulic plate. Depending on load and conditions, I run anywhere from 1.5 below to 3 below and run low to mid 70's. You do have to drive a 196, it handles like a sports car though and is deemed as one of Triton's best. Feel free to reach out for help, we will all help if we can.
    I'm currently in the market for a new to me boat and I've narrowed it down to pretty much 3 boats. One of which is a 2015 trx 18. It has a 2015 200xs on it. What looks to be a 4 or 6 inch jack plate. The motor only has 42 hours on it. I figure that should be a 70mph boat, but the owner says it only runs 60. Surely hes got the set up all wrong? I was wondering how you think that boat should perform. Any info would be greatly appreciated
    Last edited by Brob52; 03-26-2020 at 07:20 AM.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brob52 View Post
    I'm currently in the market for a new to me boat and I've narrowed it down to pretty much 3 boats. One of which is a 2015 trx 18. It has a 2015 200xs on it. What looks to be a 4 or 6 inch jack plate. The motor only has 42 hours on it. I figure that should be a 70mph boat, but the owner says it only runs 60. Surely hes got the set up all wrong? I was wondering how you think that boat should perform. Any info would be greatly appreciated
    i would start a new post about the boat your looking at now

8. Member
    Ok

9. Member
    The blades will slow your 196 down a bit. Might want to try a 25 or 26 Bravo1 xs. 25 trophy would also be a good choice. 10" plate, 2-2.5" below.
    Keith Broussard Caney Lake, Louisiana
    2000 TR21 2000 Mercury 250 Pro XB OG980775 14" hydro plate