150 Pro XS definately SLOWER than regular Mercury 150 4 stroke

Just an FYI to all of you thinking of ordering a new AVX 1980. I have a 2020 with a Mercury 150 Pro XS which has a lower gear ratio than the regular Mercury 150 4 stroke. My friend has a 2019 with a regular 150 4 stroke. After exhaustive testing which included removing my jackplate as his boat does not have one. Engines mounted in the same hole and trying the Tempest Plus 23 which comes with the boat and also a 24 and 25 pitch Fury to make up for the lower gear ratio the conclusion is that no matter what on the AVX 1980 the 150 Pro XS is 4 to 5 mph SLOWER than the regular 4 stroke. I had went back and forth between ordering the Evinrude or the Mercury on my new boat. Obviously knowing what I know now I most certainly would have went with the Evinrude.

You can expect top speed with 2 people using a 24 pitch prop of about 51 which it will touch. With the stock prop top speed with two people is about 50. With one person top speed goes up about 2.5 mph with each prop.

To sum up while I think Vexus and the dealer should have known this I do sort of understand them not knowing it as the Pro XS has ALWAYS been a little hotter motor top end speed in the past versus the regular models. I do not appreciate Mercury doing that and not making it very, very clear to the manufacturers and the dealers. Needless to say I probably will be going a different brand of motor next time.

2. Member
    The rev limiter is raised quiet a bit on the pro xs. You should be able to spin it up higher in the rpm range to make up the difference in the gear ratio

Just get it propped right. The pro xs can swing a way more efficient prop than the party barge motor and be faster in the end. That part is up to you- you cant rely on a dealer nor mfr to set your boat up correctly

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

4. Member
    Bumping up to from a 23 Tempest to a 24-25 Fury is only going to impact speed negatively for the ProXs.
    You need to get the RPM's up. 23 Fury may be the ticket.
    What RPM's are you getting on top end?
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

5. Member
    I think that’s right about setup and getting a prop to turn at least 6000 rpms. My AVX1980 with the Evinrude G2 150HO turns about 5100 rpms at 51 mph. It will be interesting to know what rpm you’re turning at 51 mph. Maybe try a Tempest 22 prop to see what you get.
    white Vexus AVX 1980 - white Evinrude G2 150hp HO