USA 1996 Champion SCX Elite 191 Fuse Panel/Breaker location/wiring diagram help

Good Evening,

I'm sure this has probably been asked before but, does anyone know if my model year Champ has a fuse panel, breakers or in-line fuses? Luckily the previous owner kept the original Manual so I have the diagram for the "Switch Panel and Breaker Panel Elite Series" but it's like reading hieroglyphics to an uneducated man such as myself. (Also if anyone has a full size diagram they could send me that prob would help with my eyes)

I did see that I've got the 4 wire 6ga Trolling motor harness on the port side of the boat, just been trying to track down where my fuses/breakers are for the individual components. I looked under the console but didn't see a fuse box or readily available. Was thinking about pulling out the switch panel to see if there were in-line fuses there. I know I want to replace the rocker switches and the trim rocker switch at the bow of the boat has been broke for sometime as far as I was told from the previous owner.

Not sure if its worth the headache or not lol. I kind of want to do it for piece of mind but I don't want to stir up gremlins if I don't need to as well so who knows

I'm planning on adding a BluSea battery switch (Mini-add-a-battery) and I'm also trying to track down the alternator wire from the 96' 200 Merc EFI.

I got the original build sheet and legitimately everything is bone stock from the factory on the boat. Nothing has been changed except for the batteries. Still has the MG Beast trolling motor (planning on changing that in short order), hope the current TM Wiring on the boat will work with the newer TMs. Heck even has the original graphs (IE Lowrance LMS350).

Any help for this newbie would be much appreciated

Thanks-
    J

2. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Anyone????

3. Member
    Hi, welcome. There is no main fuse panel. Unless things changed from 1996 to 2000, you should have a series of breakers between the switches on the main switch panel by the drivers seat (little round bulb like doo-dads between the switches). Mine with a Yamaha motor had a couple other in-line fuses as a part of the engine wiring, so you might find similar with the Merc, I don't know.

And again, unless things changed from '96 to '00, the wiring is pretty excessive and not the most efficient thing ever. When I redid my 191 I managed to cut out about 4 ft of the main wiring harness using a new multi pin connector to set everything up. But the basic gist of it is they bring one main positive wire to the main switch on the panel and then split that off to the various pumps, lighting, etc with +12v going through the breakers. I'll have to review my notes but I can't promise a time line for getting back with it with the kids home and everything else going on. But when I took it all apart it became clear they do have a scheme to it by wire color. I added a fuse panel, but it is mainly for accessories - the factory wiring under the switch panel is so detailed that it would have been a huge, monumental PITA to redo all that. You are talking about multifunction switches and a lot of integral wiring. If it's not badly corroded and the wire coatings are good, leave it.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

4. Member
    Thanks for the information! I'll just run a fused distribution block for my accessories and leave it be for now! Everything seems in-tact and not corroded. Just need to replace the trim rocker at the bow of the boat and a couple rockers on the panel at the drivers seat. Just have to figure out which ones to buy!

5. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFudge View Post
    ...Just need to replace the trim rocker at the bow of the boat and a couple rockers on the panel at the drivers seat. Just have to figure out which ones to buy!
    Check the switches on Rocker Switch Pros (www.rockerswitchpros.com). Look under switch bodies. I believe your trim switch will be a VLD1-S00B. This is a (on)-off-(on) with the on positions being momentary. This switch also has no lamps. https://rockerswitchpros.com/product/vld1-s00b/, typically what a bow trim switch is. They also sell a tool to remove the actuators so you can swap yours over to your new switch. If you want to shoot me pix of the others, I can help identifying them. If it is a situation where the lettering is just gone off the switch (it still works) then Rocker Switch Pros can work with you on a new actuator. Then again, Carol at C&O may also have what you want.

6. Member
    I know the breakers in my 95 190 are up under drivers console
    1995 ChampioN 190 1995 Mercury 200 XRI Lowrance Ghost