Engine sputtering

2007 Optimax 225 with 212 hours.

Long story short I ran out of gas. Switched the tank over and after running a little bit the engine sputters. Maybe a hiccup or cough. I’ll lose some power and the rpms will drop a a little, maybe 500, definitely not 1000. That’s the “cough” then it will be back to normal. You can really feel this at idle speeds. My first thought was I picked up some debris when I switched tanks. Being relatively mechanically challenged, is there something I should look for or is this a trip to the shop? Everything looked fine when I pulled the cowl off. I religiously run nonethanol, Quickare and Quickleen if that matters. Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    Running out of gas shouldn’t pick up any trash as the fuel pick up is in the bottom of the tank anyway. How long did you run it after running out of gas? I wonder if you didn’t get some air in the fuel system and haven’t ran it out yet?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    Running out of gas shouldn’t pick up any trash as the fuel pick up is in the bottom of the tank anyway. How long did you run it after running out of gas? I wonder if you didn’t get some air in the fuel system and haven’t ran it out yet?
    Didn’t think of air. I’ve got at least an hour on the motor since it happened.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please take a few moments to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Fuel pickup isn't in the bottom of the tank... normally is off the bottom of the tank by at least 1/2".

Did you pump the primer bulb firm after switching tanks?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Serial number is 1B433027.

I did pump the primer. I did not think to check it again though.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Probably a good idea to put some fuel in the tank that ran low and switch back to that tank, pump bulb firm, go out and run a bit to see if problem persists.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor