Fireline Ultra 8 on spinning reel

Hopefully right forum for this

I have been using NanoFil on my spinning gear for the past few years... great stuff, sensitive and casts a mile but the durability is mediocre at best

Anyone have first hand experience with this (I’ll probably buy 6-10lb range)
    *BRIAN CASKEY*
    '00 Tracker ProTeam 185 Special Edition
    '99 75 hp Merc ELPTO (ser. 0G837626)
    Minn Kota Terrova 80 w/Ipilot
    Helix 10 Sonar/GPS / bow 360 / RC-1
    Helix 7 CHIRP MSI GPS G3
    STRICTLY Shimano and St. Croix!!!!

2. Moderator
    Do you always prefer fused lines to true braids? You'll usually find a smoother, rounder line, but you don't get near the the strength to diameter ratio of a true braided superline...
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by steve1206 View Post
    Do you always prefer fused lines to true braids? You'll usually find a smoother, rounder line, but you don't get near the the strength to diameter ratio of a true braided superline...
    I have been using Fireline pretty much exclusively since it’s release in 1996. Tired a few different lines in between but always came back to Fireline
    *BRIAN CASKEY*
    Helix 7 CHIRP MSI GPS G3

4. Moderator
    I haven’t tried them new fireline, but the trade offs are usually the same..fused is smooth, round, casts well but not super durable, not super limp, or strong. Braid may not cast 100% as well, but super thin/strong, and limp. There’s a lot of newer braids out there that are really nice. The new Fireline is probably consistent with what you’re used to but I wouldn’t be scared to try some newer or higher end braid like seaguar smackdown, daiwa samurai, or Berkeley X9
    Steve

5. Member
    Yes I use 17# for steelhead and 6# on my trout reels- Much prefer it over the nanofil as it is more durable and does not fray nearly as quickly.
    I never have tried the original fireline but the ultra 8 is on at least a dozen of my reels.....
    ​WHY ASK WHY?

6. Member
    I’ve used the fireline before on my steelhead rods and finesse stuff but I wasn’t impressed. I seemed to get more wind knots and twists with a coated line than regular braid (fireline, super slick, etc). I wouldn’t recommend it but that’s just me.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

7. Member
    I'm pretty sure he is referring to Fireline ULTRA 8 if anyone can read...............
    ​WHY ASK WHY?

8. Member
    Ultra 8 is awesome. You'll (typically) pay a premium for it over original/regular Fireline, but it is smoother AND more abrasion resistant. I really like the line and much prefer it over regular Fireline. It is the best line I've used on a spinning reel with X9 coming in a close 2nd.

9. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 1nutinthewater View Post
    I'm pretty sure he is referring to Fireline ULTRA 8 if anyone can read...............
    It's still fused,even though it's an 8 carrier and still has a larger diameter per labeled strength, than standard braid...by a long shot..
    Steve

I can't stand super limp braid on my spinning rods. Does the Ultra 8 have the same limpness as original fireline?
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meleagris1 View Post
    I can't stand super limp braid on my spinning rods. Does the Ultra 8 have the same limpness as original fireline?

It is very stiff but does soften up over time but still not a soft as say 832 or J braid after 30+ days on the water.
    ​WHY ASK WHY?

UPDATE:

haven’t bought the Ultra 8 yet but I bought Sufix 832 (6lb) and PowerPro Super slick (6lb) to test. Likely will test against the ultra 8 as well
    *BRIAN CASKEY*
    Helix 7 CHIRP MSI GPS G3

13. Member
    Threw spinners on 832 today- Way softer than the Ultra and very prone to tip wrap. Also anyone that says braid does not twist is wrong........
    .thumbnail (2).jpg
    ​WHY ASK WHY?

14. Member
    I've been using Sufix 832 (10lb) for the past two seasons on all my spinning gear with good results -- with the exception of the occasional wind knots. I'm planning to try the ULTRA 8 this season and was wondering which pound test/diameter will be most comparable to the 10lb Sufix 832.

Quote Originally Posted by aqua71 View Post
    I've been using Sufix 832 (10lb) for the past two seasons on all my spinning gear with good results -- with the exception of the occasional wind knots. I'm planning to try the ULTRA 8 this season and was wondering which pound test/diameter will be most comparable to the 10lb Sufix 832.
    probably the Ultra 8 10lb test/4 lb diameter
    *BRIAN CASKEY*
    Helix 7 CHIRP MSI GPS G3

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by caskey_b View Post
    probably the Ultra 8 10lb test/4 lb diameter
    Thanks, that's what I was thinking.

Brian,
    I'v had good success with Fireline Crystal, both regular and ultra 8. Use it mostly for crappie jigging and casting for walleye. Sometimes for Ned rig. 4lb is plenty strong for both, though we usually go to 6lb for timber on 10foot rods. Believe it or not, crappie fishing is pretty tough on line. Lots of hooksets with little line out, hanging in brush, swinging 1-2lb fish in the boat.

Break strength for Fireline is way better than nanofil. I tried Gliss too, but that was horrible for fraying and durability. Fireline is stiffer, but at 4-6lb, its almost a plus. Easier to tie knots, and less headaches with tip and guide wrap and windknots. If you do want something limper, try Sufix Nanobraid. Good stuff, but way limper than Fireline. But like I said, I prefer a little stiffness at that lb test. I went back to the Fireline after trying Nanobraid 4lb.
    Above 6lb is the tipping point for the stiffness. I go with 10lb power pro/sufix/sunline true braid at that point.

Appreciate the feedback eyra!!

i tried the 10/2 PowerPro super slick today. Felt ALOT like fireline. I did like it, but $22 a spool compared to $15 Fireline, well that speaks for itself. I only tried a few casts though....
    Last edited by caskey_b; 03-31-2020 at 09:39 PM.
    *BRIAN CASKEY*
    Helix 7 CHIRP MSI GPS G3