Humminbird Install

Hi guys. I decided to get a Humminbird Helix 7 when they went on sale for $400 at BPS. The guy on the bird forum gave me some great help in deciding to do this. He said I need to install the SI transducer on the boat as one normally would, but that I also needed a Y cable and to install a regular transducer in the bilge to get depth readings on plane. Have any of you found this necessary and set a bird up this way?
    25th Anniversary Champion 187 SCX Elite
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Perception Pescador Pro 120 Kayak
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

2. Member
    I just did this with a Helix 10 Gen 3 last week. Yep, that is the way it works. Installing the transducer in the bilge is a PITA. The batteries have to come out and the oil tank (two stroke motor)and the floor. Then you put some water in the bilge and test run the boat and move the transducer around until you get the clearest image. Mark that spot, go home and dry the inside of the bilge, sand that spot smooth with course sandpaper, clean it really well, scuff the bottom of the transducer with scotchbrite, then stick down the transducer with epoxy. Then hook the two transducers to your 'Bird with the Y-Cable. Did I mention, it's a PITA, but it works really well, so far.

Wayne

3. Member
    Use slow curing epoxy and try not to get bubbles in the epoxy is what I was told and did when I installed the birds on my boat.

Thanks guys! I found a different route that will solve my sonar issue that isn't a PITA. Also, it's free. One of my graphs can switch frequency. I've had interference problems since I got my US2 on my Terrova. Now I'll have one at 200khz and the other at 50 khz. Won't know how well it works for a couple of weeks.
    25th Anniversary Champion 187 SCX Elite
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Perception Pescador Pro 120 Kayak
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat