04 ZX225

2008 DF200A hard to shift

I have a 2008 DF200A and thought I needed new control cables. I pulled off the shift cable to see if it was the throttle or shift cable and when I did, it the cable moved very easily. I then tried to shift the motor by hand and it was very hard to move the shifter.

I sprayed the the shifting linkage down with PB blaster to see if it was something there, but that did not help. I am trying to get around dropping the bottom end as there is not a lot of hours on the water pump and this is most likely due to the boat sitting for 8 months out of the water but by the east coast of Florida. About a mile from the beach.

Any pointers besides dropping the bottom end and checking the shift rod and other components?

Thanks

2. Member
    Wow. Exposed to salt water? Even with the motor out it's a hard life. Have you been keeping up with your anode changes? The lower unit is rather easy to remove and replace. I may be doing it wrong but I get it done at my age (77) but it gets harder every year. The trim and tilt helps a lot. Use high performance gear lube.
    You'll figure it out, and when you do let us know what the issue is.