Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Minimum usage to keep a bassboat?

Just wondering what you guys think...How many outings are necessary in order to justify keeping a bassboat in the garage? Due to work and family obligations my number of fishing trips last year dwindled to a record low of 3 to 4 times. I find myself wondering if selling the boat might be a better option than letting her sit in the garage essentially becoming an expensive junk drawer. This boat isn't costing me anything other than precious garage floor space.
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

2. Member
    If I only went 3 or 4 times in a year it would be a sold ass. If I don't go 2 day a week I feel like I am wasting money and all it is costing me is the gas and oil to go.
    2020 Caymas CX20

3. Member
    Ha! It depends on how much you enjoyed those 3 or 4 times. - Especially given that it is a use-based expense.

I can't imagine not having one, but then again... life comes and goes, and that day will come for me as well.
    1985 Ranger 340v w/ 1985 Johnson GT150 Crossflow
    2018 BassCat Pantera Classic w/ 2018 Mercury 200 ProXS

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bnt55 View Post
    Just wondering what you guys think...How many outings are necessary in order to justify keeping a bassboat in the garage? Due to work and family obligations my number of fishing trips last year dwindled to a record low of 3 to 4 times. I find myself wondering if selling the boat might be a better option than letting her sit in the garage essentially becoming an expensive junk drawer. This boat isn't costing me anything other than precious garage floor space.
    same as me but i'm not selling,I just use my old stuff and don't worry
    about upgrading and go when i can.I mostly night fish so i can make
    it out maybe 10 times.I would rather be able to hook up and go when
    i can then depend on hitching a ride with a buddy.

5. Member
    It's paid for so keep it if you still enjoy going out when you can. Insurance cost is minimal. You will regret it if you sell it and end up looking for a new one.

6. Member
    Last time I thought that way and sold my boat I regretted it almost immediately and started looking for another boat. I have found that those 3-4 trips when you have a busy summer are worth keeping the boat around.
    1990 Champion 184
    Yamaha proV150
    Garmin Electronics

7. Banned
    How much you want for your boat?

No such thing as minimal usage. It is better to run the motor regularly, but it wouldn’t be an excuse to get rid of it. I’ll keep mine in the garage and take it out when I can until Hades freezes over.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

9. Member
    Last boat I averaged 3 weekend trips a year that's it , one year I didn't use it at all ... I still can justify having one . It's there when I want to use it ... I do keep on top off the maintenance while it sits.
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO

I live on a lake and I bet I put my boat in the water maybe 8 times this year. It’s like all my stuff I got it if me or one of my neighbors wants to go catch a few. I do fish a lot but it’s off my dock or others

11. Member
    Only you can justify having a boat. I do know a couple people that regretted selling boats because they didn't have the time to use them because a few years down the road they had the time. Good luck.

12. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Its costing you, every year the depreciation is what its costing you. Sell now and start with that as a down payment into a boat saving account. After paying your bills and funding your retirement, stick a a little into the account. When you have time to want to have a boat, take what you have and pay cash!!

13. Member
    I don't use my boat as much as I once did and have gone through the same though process as the OP.

Decided since my boat is paid for, and set up just the way I want it that I like having it readily available in my garage.

It's a personal decision but for me as long as I'm physically able to go I intend to have my boat available and the batteries charged.

What’s a guide cost on your lake or nearby?

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by like2fish2 View Post
    I don't use my boat as much as I once did and have gone through the same though process as the OP.

Decided since my boat is paid for, and set up just the way I want it that I like having it readily available in my garage.

It's a personal decision but for me as long as I'm physically able to go I intend to have my boat available and the batteries charged.
    This is where i am also. I also have a place on the lake and both a Bass and a Pontoon. Both got used a total of 4 times in 2019, 3 in bass boat one in Pontoon but...neither are for sale. They eat a little insurance, and both are 90's models so they aren't going to lose much more than they have. If i want to go i want to be able to go. Not have to ask or wait on someone to ask me.
    I am a Crankbait junkie...I'm in a program...It ain't helping!

16. Member
    Most people could never justify a boat, to me it never needs to be justified, I like having a Boat to go when I can use it ....even it’s not as often as I want to. In the whole picture life is short, if you like that boat, keep it.

17. Member
    Double post.....

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory Legend View Post
    Its costing you, every year the depreciation is what its costing you. Sell now and start with that as a down payment into a boat saving account. After paying your bills and funding your retirement, stick a a little into the account. When you have time to want to have a boat, take what you have and pay cash!!
    This makes the most sense to me.

19. Member
    No such thing as minimum usage. It’s yours, use it as much as you can and don’t worry about how often others go out. There’s some people who go out 2-5 times a week and more often times than not they are either single or could care less about their family and significant other. Focus on your family first, if that means only fishing 3-4 times a year so be it. Make the most out of the trips you do go out and it’ll be worth while. I only get my boat out about 12-15 times a year. Usually every other weekend from April until October because the non weekends I spend with my wife. Find the balance that works for you. You sound like you have your priorities right, don’t be the douche bag who goes out 3-4 times a week at the cost of making his family miserable because you feel entitled to.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

20. Member
    If it’s paid for I’d keep it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast